Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Redline MT-LV 70W/75W gear oil for 5 speed manual

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Doax, I'm not sure all of this oil testing will be of much use without a "control".
    Good point. One good thing about Blackstone Labs is that is the main purpose of their business model, as they have experience detecting when a lubricant is not doing it's job.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Doax, I'm not sure all of this oil testing will be of much use without a "control". You need to flush thoroughly, run OE for 5,000 miles, have that tested, flush again, and then do the same with the Redline stuff. Otherwise, you don't know what your baseline is.

I guess the testing could tell you if the oil is HORRIBLE, and destroying your transmission. But, it's otherwise not really going to tell you whether it's any better or worse than the OE fluid.

I agree. However, I don't really have a good way of doing that. I'm open to ideas though. I suppose after 5k miles I could swap back to OE gear oil. The thing is I really don't put that many miles on my Mirage at all. My work commute only puts on 3k miles a year. Other personal driving likely doesn't even come close to doubling that. I'll be lucky if I hit 5k miles in a year. At the least, in 5k miles I'll be able to know that 'hey this stuff won't trash the transmission', or 'this probably isn't good to use'.

The great thing about Blackstone is they have a huge database of oil testing to reference. They know how transmissions in general typically wear. I doubt they have much info on Mirage transmissions, but it really shouldn't be much different at all than any other manual transmission out there. I do agree its not an ideal 'control', but its the best thing I can think of at this point to get results in a somewhat reasonable amount of time.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Loren (12-04-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    FYI

There is another similar product available, made by ROWE here in Germany, and sold in most other countries.

It is labeled:

ROWE Hightec Topgear 75W80S GL -4/5

It has following chief properties:

Viscosity at +40°C 37.8 mm²/s
    Viscosity at 100′C 7.5 mm²/s
    Meets GL4 and GL5 (will not corrode brass synchronizers, yet also meets GL5)

Pour point -44′C
    Viscosity index (accoding to ASTM D-7042) 173

That looks like a great alternative between Redline and OE fluid Foama.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    FYI

There is another similar product available, made by ROWE here in Germany, and sold in most other countries.

It is labeled:

ROWE Hightec Topgear 75W80S GL -4/5
    I noticed the Rowe website while searching for gear oil. It definitely appears to be another good product. It's nice to hear it is working out well with your Mirage.

Since my email inquiry with Redline this week, they have now added Mitsubishi to their OEM Compatibility list for the MTL 75W80 GL-4 gear oil.

Suitable replacement for:

API GL-4 / GL-3 / GL-1
    SAE 80/80W/75W80
    SAE 30/5W30/10W30

Alfa Romeo
    Chrysler MS9224
    Citroen
    Dacia
    Daewoo
    Fiat
    Ford XT-M5-QTS
    Genuine Mtf
    Gm Auto-Trak II
    Gm Synchromesh
    Holden
    Honda/Acura Genuine MTF
    Land Rover/Range Rover MTF 0063
    MB 235.10
    Mini MTF 94
    Mini/BMW 83 22 0 403 247
    Mini/BMW 83 22 0 140 516
    Mitsubishi #MZ313501
    Opel/Vauxhall #09 120 541
    Peugeot/Citroen PSA B71 2330 75w80
    Renault Clio PT# 77 11
    Saab MTF0063
    Tata
    Volvo MTF 97309-101161745
    Volvo M2c 200-C3
    VW/Audi G 052 532
    VW/Audi G 055 532

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got another reply from Blackstone Labs. I had asked them if they had wanted to do a virgin oil analysis on the MT-LV fluid. They said no, unless I wanted it for reference. Just send in the oil at 5k miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have placed my order for the MT-LV gear oil. The best price I was able to find was on ebay. I believe it was $42 shipped for 2 quarts of it. I had a real hard time finding it anywhere else than Redline's own site. The priced shipped from them was only a few dollars more. But, all the distributors on their site didn't even carry it.

I must also say I'm pretty impressed with the Mirage's shifting at lower temperatures with the OE gear oil. It has been down under 10F so far this winter, and I haven't really had any issues with hard shifting like I have had with every single other manual transmission car I've had. So, I am looking forward to trying this even lower viscosity oil to see what it is like.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I have placed my order for the MT-LV gear oil. The best price I was able to find was on ebay. I believe it was $42 shipped for 2 quarts of it. I had a real hard time finding it anywhere else than Redline's own site. The priced shipped from them was only a few dollars more. But, all the distributors on their site didn't even carry it.

I must also say I'm pretty impressed with the Mirage's shifting at lower temperatures with the OE gear oil. It has been down under 10F so far this winter, and I haven't really had any issues with hard shifting like I have had with every single other manual transmission car I've had. So, I am looking forward to trying this even lower viscosity oil to see what it is like.
    42 for 2qts! Spendy. Mtl was about the same price for 4 qts

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep for sure!

However, Redline MTL 75W80 is currently just under $20 shipped on amazon for a single quart. Not too far behind. But, I would imagine you could shop around since 75W80 has been around a lot longer, and a lot more places carry it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got the Redline MT-LV in the mail over the weekend. It was very tightly jammed into a padded envelope. I'm glad it made it here in one piece without making a mess. Its supposed to be a Christmas present, so I won't get to change it out just yet.

I'm also thinking that it would be interesting to get an oil analysis done on my OE gear oil just to see how the trans is doing after 80k miles. What are your guy's thoughts?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    ...it would be interesting to get an oil analysis done on my OE gear oil just to see how the trans is doing after 80k miles.
    I think that would be interesting to see. The only problem may be that Blackstone may not have much (if any) sample data to compare your sample against. Is the manual transmission used in the Mirage shared by any other manufacturers right now?

When I change mine I will send in a sample. So at least we can compare 2 samples, right?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-17-2018)