Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Heater core replacement

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm not sure we can blame BASF for this... lol
    They certainly share blame. It's BASF R&D that invents product and their marketing arm sells it to the car makers. It's not the car makers inventing a spec then going to the market to find a manufacturer. In most cases. There are exceptions to the rule.

Or they develop it together. In such cases the blame is about equal I guess.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    They certainly share blame. It's BASF R&D that invents product and their marketing arm sells it to the car makers. It's not the car makers inventing a spec then going to the market to find a manufacturer. In most cases. There are exceptions to the rule.

Or they develop it together. In such cases the blame is about equal I guess.
    Does BASF supply coolant or coolant additives to Mitsubishi OEM?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Does BASF supply coolant or coolant additives to Mitsubishi OEM?
    that is the best question asked to date about the clogging. The answer would go a long way to determine who should supply the fix.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I don't think it's BASF's fault for manufacturers allowing contaminants in their cooling system. Without knowing definitely why this occurred it's either residue from the manufacturing process, unforeseen chemical reaction between the coolant and the materials within the cooling system or impure coolant itself (such as using municipal water supply to mix the coolant at the factory and not distilled water). Unlike cancer which can be caused by a almost infinite variety of reasons, scaling and gunk buildup in a cooling system is purely a chemical reaction which are caused by predictable set of conditions. I don't think that's BASF's fault.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-18-2019)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My friend bought a used 2014 Mirage shortly after I bought my 2017. She has been complaining about the passenger side being colder and I verified it with a test drive last weekend. No thermometer was needed. It was MUCH cooler on the passenger side. So far I have tried the CLR thing and even used compressed air to blow it out. I did not care if I blew the damn core apart with the compressed air because I was going to just replace it if that happened. It made a slight difference according to her, but not enough.

I talked to her today and she tells me the heat is the same "slightly better" as it was after I worked on it. My next "experiment" is to drain the radiator and coolant from the block, flush the system with Castle Power Flush, refill with 50/50 "All makes and Models" Prestone antifreeze, and add Castle Cool Flo. I will swap the hoses to the heater core (put hoses on opposite sides) and give it a test run by using her car for a couple days and see what happens.

If this fails, then I will be replacing the heater core. Her 2014 is out of any kind of warranty and she don't like being cold.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Try a pressure washer

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman1 View Post
    Try a pressure washer
    you run the risk of blowing connectors apart and saturating the underdash electronics. will they fully recover when dried? IDK.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    If this fails, then I will be replacing the heater core.
    That stinks. If you do, I hope you'll be able to post some pictures of what is inside the old heater.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just checked my 2015 (~38k miles) with an IR thermometer, and the driver side was 135 and passenger 103ish. Does this ~30 degree difference signal a heater core problem? 😭 I probably never would've noticed and checked if it wasn't for this forum. 🙂

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spork View Post
    I just checked my 2015 (~38k miles) with an IR thermometer, and the driver side was 135 and passenger 103ish.
    Does this ~30 degree difference signal a heater core problem?
    Ummm...yeah. That's not sounding good. It's likely you have a partially restricted heater core.

If you rarely have a passenger and/or don't drive in extreme cold, you may never notice it. My 2015 also has the problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)