Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Heater core replacement

Daox, are a bunch of those pictures of the console from someone else's car? I just noticed the floor is purple.

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out, floor mats are different too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Yep, I took the center console removal pics from my short shifter install thread.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I saw a video of a guy changing his heater core in a toyota I think. It was in a similar location as the Mirage but the guy uncrimped the tubes to get his old one out. Then he seemed suprissed when he found out the new one wouldn't fit in place with the tubes still attached. He eventually uncrimped the new heater core tubes, installed the core and re crimped the tubes back on with pliers. I'm not sure I'd go that route, with my luck an oring would be get torn, get pinched or I'd kink or crack something.
    Speaking of Toyotas, I remembered when my dad and I changed the heater core on my parents' 1994 Toyota Tercel. Every time we turned the heater on, the bottom of the windshield gets foggy every time. But that's as expected on a 320,000-km car with the original heater core. Looking at the Tercel and the Mitsubishi Mirage, it was a pain in the neck just to get that heater core replaced. Plus the headache of getting all the nuts and bolts sorted out. Other than that, great tutorial, Daox.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    OMG.. OMG... Seeing this, I think…. there must be an easier way. This is crazy! Hat off!

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    You took out the complete dash, steering collem etc. LOL 🤣🤣🤣

Did mine today and it takes about an hour and a half to do, maybe 2 if you never did something like this before. But its an easy fix...

Take out the drivers seat to create some extra space. Then some panels below the steering wheel and you can already see the heater. Disconnect the pipes in the engine bay, then from the heater and you can jank it out. Its takes some patient to get the new pipes into place thats all.

Cheers

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro-hcore View Post
    ...it takes about an hour and a half to do
    ...its an easy fix
    Hmm...there must be something different going on with the setup in your Mirage.

Is your car a right-hand or left-hand drive? More importantly...does it have air conditioning?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Lhd car and yess with airco

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Its in the exact same spot as in the pictures from the ts.

No need to pull out the dash whatsoever.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    How did you clear the steering column?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Pro-hcore guy is either a heater core replacing champion by replacing the proper way in record time, or replaced it by either uncrimping or cutting the lines under the dash or maybe just a troll.

When I replaced the heater core in an 01 dodge truck I cut the tubes a few inches from the core and did the same with the new one, just re attached with heater hose upon reassembly. Hacky but it worked and saved a ton of time not needing to pull the entire dash and drain and refill the ac.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)