Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Heater core replacement

Country
    Scotland
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    so in a nutshell the plugged core issue can be resolved entirely or at least partially without removing the dash? (I'm having dns issues here and loading pages is screwed.)

my '14 has the core problem with a large difference in temps from the sides. my health has kept me from doing repairs but I think next spring I will return to fighting form and capable.
    It worked for me, but as foama has said, it didn't work for him. It's certainly something worth trying before dismantling the dash IMO.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a clogged heater core in a Dodge Avenger. Same deal, tear the dash out, $1000.00 job. Nope not doing that. did the cut the tubes and reconnect with hose deal and it worked!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Heater cores are easy to replace on our cars:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-core-with-pix

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeUK View Post
    It worked for me, but as foama has said, it didn't work for him. It's certainly something worth trying before dismantling the dash IMO.

I hope you're feeling better soon.
    Thanks. One thing on my list to do is get home to Dundee to see the family.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Thanks to Daox for these pictures. I have replaced the heater matrix on my 2103 Mirage 3. It was leaking out of one of the cores and at the pipe joints. Original o-rings very hard. It was a hell of a job and took several days. I bagged and labelled all the screws and fixings and luckily didn't have any left over a the end.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SoundAdvice For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by SoundAdvice View Post
    Thanks to Daox for these pictures. I have replaced the heater matrix on my 2103 Mirage 3. It was leaking out of one of the cores and at the pipe joints. Original o-rings very hard. It was a hell of a job and took several days. I bagged and labelled all the screws and fixings and luckily didn't have any left over a the end.
    FYI for next time, you can buy a heater core with clamp on tubes so it can be replaced in an hour with no need to remove the dash. I think Foama or someone over in Europe posted about it a while back. Too late now but hopefully someone reads this next time.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...l=1#post136765

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-07-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Hmmm... Just for grins I went looking for one of these heater cores with the removable tubes. I had bookmarked this link over a year ago (these guys will ship worldwide) but now it says they are out of stock...

D65003TT Heat Exchanger (heater core)

Name:  heater core.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  63.5 KB

Has anyone in North America actually ordered one of these things? I may get one now just to toss it in my Mirage parts bin.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-07-2023)

I haven't looked. Haven't replaced one either. 500k km later they're still running the blue goop coolant and making heat.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-07-2023)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Sadly this is a right-hand drive car. The pipes are different, plus extraction of the heater is obstructed by the blower, input filter and recirculation actuator - all of which would need to be removed. I'll take a look though, as my other car is the same model and year and will probably go the same way. Deep joy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SoundAdvice For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by SoundAdvice View Post
    Sadly this is a right-hand drive car. The pipes are different, plus extraction of the heater is obstructed by the blower, input filter and recirculation actuator - all of which would need to be removed. I'll take a look though, as my other car is the same model and year and will probably go the same way. Deep joy.
    I didn't think of being rhd...Hopefully you can save some time next go around. Post some pics if you can? I'm sure some folks would like to see some of the differences between rh and lh drive models just for sharts.