Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Heater core replacement

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    domisvo, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Now we know the heater core can be replaced without all the trouble of taking the dash out!

Questions: What did you have to remove to do the job?
    Did you get the new part from Nissens or Thermotec or ...?

Last edited by foama; 01-14-2022 at 05:40 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

domisvo (01-14-2022)

Country
    Greece
    Thanks
    THANK YOU foama!!!
    Need only remove the center dash of airduct and radio cd just like in my photos,the plastic parts in handbrake and lever transmissions,glove box,plastic parts under the steering wheel,remove gas pedal,also remove the connectors from circuit board left from OBD,generally all down plastic parts and you will see the heater core pipes.Next deattached the pipes,rotate up and pull out the heater core.
    For new part i found here in Greece same heater core with connectors https://ava-cooling.com/katmod1.php?xart=MT6289
    Last edited by domisvo; 01-14-2022 at 08:30 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to domisvo For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-14-2022),foama (01-15-2022),MetroMPG (01-14-2022)

Thanks for the detailed info, domisvo!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

domisvo (01-14-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Thanks domisvo! What model year is your car?

I'm going to re-post the pics to make them easier to look at. And for anyone in North America, it looks like you can order this from the UK and have it shipped for about $60 total (if my Euro conversion is remotely accurate)...

Mirage Heater Core ("Heat Exchanger") with Removable Tubes

Name:  Thermotec.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  74.1 KB

Name:  dash1.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  dash2.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  54.2 KB

Name:  dash3.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  79.8 KB

Name:  replacement_core.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  86.0 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-15-2022 at 01:04 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

domisvo (01-14-2022)

Country
    Greece
    Thanks
    My model is Mitsubishi Spacestar Cleartech/Mirage 2014 1.0 52KW/71PS,Thermotec heater core is the best and cheap solution with removal tubes of course,better and most easy to replace it.Here in Greece the price for Thermotec is 47€ without extra shipping and Nissens is more more more expensive(184€)
    Top Fuel thanks for make my photos more visible than me

Country
    Greece
    Thanks
    No problem MetroMPG,the less the effort for change heater core,lesser spend time and money of course!!!
    Last edited by domisvo; 01-15-2022 at 08:59 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    The last few posts could be seperated as a new thread and called a How To for our archives

Country
    Scotland
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    A couple of years ago I had to replace my radiator after it sprung a leak. The coolant system was flushed and the coolant replaced. Lo and behold, over time the heater core issue seems to have resolved itself. I can only assume the new coolant has dislodged any of the blockage gunk.

I thought I'd mention this because it may be something to consider trying before replacing the heater core.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    so in a nutshell the plugged core issue can be resolved entirely or at least partially without removing the dash? (I'm having dns issues here and loading pages is screwed.)

my '14 has the core problem with a large difference in temps from the sides. my health has kept me from doing repairs but I think next spring I will return to fighting form and capable.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeUK View Post
    A couple of years ago I had to replace my radiator after it sprung a leak. The coolant system was flushed and the coolant replaced. Lo and behold, over time the heater core issue seems to have resolved itself. I can only assume the new coolant has dislodged any of the blockage gunk.

I thought I'd mention this because it may be something to consider trying before replacing the heater core.
    On my 2014 the OEM coolant was replaced after a few years, but the heater core was already affected and partly clogged. Obviously the original coolant was not silicate free as it was supposed to be according to the FSM.

Today, about five years later, the new coolant (Glysantin G30) has exactly the same PH-value as it originally did, meaning there have been no further chemical reactions within the coolant or heater core. I should have changed coolant earlier, but I was not aware of the OEM coolant problem, so the core got plugged with silicate gel. The gel coming from the OEM coolant.
    Meanwhile I have been too lazy to change the heater core, but the clogged core's condition has not changed one bit during the past five years.
    Further to that, the regulator-flap inside the heater unit, laying over the heater core has a problem. That causes the ventilation air to always be at least 5°C warmer, even with the flap totally closed and the heater turned off. Intollerable in the warm season, so the core gets bypassed during the warm season.

See:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-heats-the-car!

Last edited by foama; 11-05-2022 at 07:55 AM.