Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grille block on the newer Mirages. Can't find a write up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    You will only have issues with coolant temps on the highway, or during summer times.
    Last winter when I was using my grill block, I noticed my cooling fan turned on a lot when outdoor temperatures got above 50℉ / 10℃.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I guess I would consider 50F summer.

I agree though, that seems to be about when you need to look at changing things up if you have a full grill block.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's my garage entry from last night:

A few days ago, I got a sheet of white coroplast, black primer, black zip ties, a cheap little razor knife and some pipe insulation. Tonight I did version 1 of a lower grill block. I took basic measurements and added a bit and took the first cuts followed by a lot of hold it up, mark where to cut and cut more off. I cut a pipe insulation thing in half and zip tyed it to the upper part of the lower grill and added the other half to a whole piece (it's more complicated than that, but that's basically it) and zip tyed that to the lower half of the lower grill. One last test fit to see where I wanted the zip tye holes holes in the coroplast. I painted the grill block and took a break for supper.

Tried to find a Salvadoran restaurant within walking distance of my house. Found a Somalian restaurant instead...I do love goat.

Well, under 20° is not ideal for that paint to dry in that amount of time, so by the time I got it all put together, I had black spots on my fingers and white spots on my grill block. The early morning drives in a car that doesn't have the fancy heater warmer thingys behind the glove box is taking its toll, so I covered the white marks with permanent marker and called it a night. If it survives my trip to and from work, I'll take some pics tomorrow afternoon.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Dark Magenta; 03-01-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Last winter when I was using my grill block, I noticed my cooling fan turned on a lot when outdoor temperatures got above 50℉ / 10℃.
    I had an overheating incident one time. The only way I could get decent heat out of my diesel truck(s) was to block at least half the rad off with cardboard. Come spring time I forgot to take out the huge piece of cardboard between the rad and intercooler then played in the mud with bald tires. Attachment 14031

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)