Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Speakers?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The OEM speakers are really light weight, can't save much there.
    If you want to reduce weight of the car, you could consider getting rid of the door coverings, the center console, the cladding, maybe the dash, do you need the rear seats..? What about the weight of driver and passengers? I weigh about 60KG...
    The best weight loss trick is to simply drive around with no more than half a tank of gas. Its the cheapest and easiest modification you can do.

I don't bother with weight reduction though. My car routinely reports between 40 and 46 mpg with zero modifications and a full tank of gas. Take into consideration that I am also running a different size tire than OEM. In all honesty, my mpg is slightly better than what the computer reports but I am too lazy to do the math.

Shoot, I've even seen the computer report 55 mpg on days where my speed stayed in the 50 mph range. I figure, with gas mileage like that, whats the point in hyper-mileing or doing any modifications?

I simply fill the tank with gas every morning and do my 200 mile drive every day.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I figure, with gas mileage like that, whats the point in hyper-mileing or doing any modifications?
    What's the point of taking a fast car and making it faster? What's the point of going to the drag strip and continually striving for a faster time? What's the point of going to a race track and trying to get around it faster than the other guy?

It's a simple competition. Even if the competition is with yourself. It's purely for entertainment. Completely pointless, like most hobbies.
    Simplify and add lightness.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-04-2018),Fummins (12-04-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    What's the point of taking a fast car and making it faster? What's the point of going to the drag strip and continually striving for a faster time? What's the point of going to a race track and trying to get around it faster than the other guy?

It's a simple competition. Even if the competition is with yourself. It's purely for entertainment. Completely pointless, like most hobbies.

If I had a twelve inch penis I wouldn’t worry about having it enlarged but I guess others would. To each his own I suppose.

I was mainly trying to say the original poster could save more weight by simply driving around with less gas in the tank.

I'm pretty sure the original poster is intelligent enough to have figured that one out on his own

Might as well suggest walking to save fuel or just get someone to tow your car every where hardy har....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I was mainly trying to say the original poster could save more weight by simply driving around with less gas in the tank.
    But, that was not at all the question that the OP asked. You don't need to judge his decisions or aspirations. Just answer the question... or don't.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    But, that was not at all the question that the OP asked. You don't need to judge his decisions or aspirations. Just answer the question... or don't.
    I wasn't judging him. I was simply pointing out a way for some really easy weight loss savings. Daox did the same thing when he mentioned driving around with headphones, which is extremely dangerous. You can't kill someone by driving around with less fuel in your tank. You can kill someone by not paying attention to your surroundings while driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

stevedmc (12-04-2018),Tyrelirwin (12-14-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I kinda like the speakers in the headrest idea. Are there any headrests with speakers already installed?

Aside from that, the stock speakers are already pretty light.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's something I didn't know existed:

http://a.co/d/fI6INdV

Minimalist Bluetooth functionality that clips to your visor. Very small. Stated weight is 5.6 ounces!

If you only listen to streaming audio from your phone, as I do, you could completely remove the factory stereo system and probably save 10-12 pounds.

Hmmmm...

Likewise, you if you want more volume and better sound quality, you could go with something like this. 12.6 ounces.

http://a.co/d/fMIER1o

Hmmmm... 1850 pounds is suddenly looking more achievable...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    And you can sell your radio and get some cash.

Keep in mind these radios are registered with the car, I think through ETACS.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)