Thread: Engine blanket

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts

Engine blanket

Anyone use one or even heard of one? Someone here some time ago put one on and it makes sense (to me anyway.)

The radiator does it's job once the engine's thermostat opens up and allows coolant to flow through the radiator. Blocking the grill keeps air from flowing through, but why not block it at the engine and allow the radiator to do it's job?

I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this. Tell us all what you think.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    They have these for industrial applications. I don't think they've made their way to automotive stuff yet though. I do know of a guy who made one for a 1st gen Honda Insight though.

http://99mpg.com/ProjectCars/randallsinsight/

top side
    Name:  top_side.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  25.9 KB

bottom side
    Name:  bottom_side.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  21.3 KB
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Anyone use one or even heard of one? Someone here some time ago put one on and it makes sense (to me anyway.)

The radiator does it's job once the engine's thermostat opens up and allows coolant to flow through the radiator. Blocking the grill keeps air from flowing through, but why not block it at the engine and allow the radiator to do it's job?

I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this. Tell us all what you think.
    Thats why we block the grill rather than the radiator!
    If the radiator were blocked and the fan kicked in, no air would go through and the engine would overheat, what we certainly do not want.
    If we block the grill, we don't just reduce the radiator airflow, but also reduce the cold wind blowing onto the engine. Almost a bit like a blanket.

In colder areas of Russia, engine blankets are common. Dunno how long they leave them on or not. In some of those areas it gets extremely cold and remains like that for months, steel becomes brittle and even 5W oil freezes... Too cold for me!

Last edited by foama; 01-11-2019 at 03:32 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-11-2019),mohammad (11-17-2021),poorman1 (01-11-2019)