Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a 2019 Mitsubishi Mirage GT Hatchback

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    To creiver12, I just bought the 2018 GT. I know it's the most money of them all, but I generally keep cars 10+ years. In the past I always bought strippers & in the future was left wanting for something. With the GT, you have it all. This was my 1st new car & i got it for what I wanted for the long term. If it's a question of money, only do what you can afford. No one should get in over their head in payments. Just my thought...
    Roger

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-09-2018),MetroMPG (12-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0qPtVueTI1g
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x7pAuyQZQzc
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e5j43VpI97U

I live in western N.Y., snow is very unpredictable here as is all weather here, greatly affected by the Great Lakes.
    Where I live is very hilly, the hill streets get plowed and cleared while the "flat"side streets might not get plowed for another 24 hours or more. These videos were shot by interstate Mitsubishi in Erie pa.
    I was very impressed with how my personal G4 did with stock165 ensaves
    Now I have 165 Dunlop snows not because of poor performance of the tires but because I do it to all my vehicles.
    I don't feel safe without snows. If they safely transport my son, there 100% worth the cost in my book.
    Mine is a 2018 es G4, but have found the heat and ac to be more than needed, usually would have to turn both down.
    I would not hesitate to recommend a mirage to anyone.
    On my mirage it has fog lights that I recommend, in my area needed for city and county deer. Lol
    and added cruise, but see that is stock on 2019 models
    Please keep us informed as to what you choose to purchase

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I think it makes sense to buy a mirage as cheap reliable transportation... Not worrying about all the extra features. I'm going to consider an ES as well. There is a used 17 for 7000 with 48k on it?(cvt). What do you guys think?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Criver12 View Post
    I think it makes sense to buy a mirage as cheap reliable transportation... Not worrying about all the extra features. I'm going to consider an ES as well. There is a used 17 for 7000 with 48k on it?(cvt). What do you guys think?
    Not a terrible deal for a '17!
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    The Mirage is an affordable, reliable, economy car. All three traits make it a great value. If you do not get a good deal on a Mirage, you are missing out on the affordable part. I would never pay extra for a lot extra features on a cheap economy car, but that's me.

If you are serious about a Mirage, I would suggest getting the out-the-door price of a discounted 2018 Mirage ES (CVT) or 2019 Mirage ES (CVT). I am even going to suggest that you call or email White Bear Mitsubishi (Twin Cities area of Minnesota) for their out-the-door price. They may be farther than you are willing to go for the best deal, but it may still help in your decision process.

If you can get a great deal on a 2019 Mirage ES (CVT), you are getting a fairly well equipped vehicle for an economy car. The 2019 will have cruise and the 2018 will not. Since cruise can be added, I wouldn't pay much more for a 2019 over a 2018.

The used 2017 Mirage ES (CVT) with 48,000 miles for $7000 is not a bad deal at all. Keep in mind - the 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty does not transfer to the second owner. The basic 5 year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty would transfer to you, but that will be done in another 12,000 miles on that particular car. These cars are pretty reliable, but you really don't know how this particular car was used?

The best deal I see in Wisconsin is a red 2017 Mirage ES (CVT) with 15,075 miles for $7,300. Most used 2017 Mirages are listed higher than I think they are worth.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5593/overview/

I would compare the best deal you can get on 2018 & 2019 Mirage ES (CVT) before deciding on the used model. Going used may still be the best option by far. I would just compare apples to apples before making a decision. You were sharing a huge discount on the GT. I would find out how that applies to the ES.

A dealership like White Bear Mitsubishi has access to vehicles we don't even see on cars.com or autotrader.com. Don't assume everything is on line for us to see. Within a few minutes of talking to the manager of White Bear, I soon realized he was looking at cars that were not on my radar. He was shopping for me as we talked. He asking for my color preferences, trim level, etc..., & he was telling me what was out there as we were talking on the phone. They sold me a car, & I had never even been to their dealership. The manager sold me the car. I met my salesman when he delivered the car to my home a few days later.

You started this discussion with a $12,300 Mirage. If you bought a used 2017 Mirage for $7000, you would be saving yourself $5,300. You could buy some pretty fancy alloy wheels for a lot less than that!!!

I don't mean to slight anyone who owns a higher trim level, but I think the real value is the highly discounted ES models. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-10-2018 at 05:20 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Not a bad option at all. These cars, as I mentioned, are quite reliable. I wouldn't be worried about it having 48k other than making sure the rear axle alignment is okay. If the car has a clean Carfax...and doesn't have a brand new pair of tires on the rear...it might be worth looking into.

I am SURE they would go lower than $7,000. Cars of this type are unpopular with buyers right now, and I'd bet they would love to have it off their lot.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Not a bad option at all. These cars, as I mentioned, are quite reliable. I wouldn't be worried about it having 48k other than making sure the rear axle alignment is okay. If the car has a clean Carfax...and doesn't have a brand new pair of tires on the rear...it might be worth looking into.

I am SURE they would go lower than $7,000. Cars of this type are unpopular with buyers right now, and I'd bet they would love to have it off their lot.
    If the car you are talking about is on cars.com, it does not have factory wheels or hubcaps. This may not be a red flag, because most Mirage owners replace their factory tires around 40,000 miles or earlier. Having an alignment check done is a good suggestion, however.

If you may only use this car a couple years, used is good. Someone else can eat the depreciation. If you want this car to be your car for many years to come, I would explore the best deal on a discounted 2018. If you qualify for some extra rebates, this car becomes a great value!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I test drove a 15' ES with navigation at Carmax and I liked it alot better! It feels more roomy than the 17+ leg wise and the styling is much better to my eye. It has 48k miles however and its priced at 10k (no haggle). I think its the top of the line ES with all options.

What do you guys think?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Criver12 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-16-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree on the styling. A modern design like the Mirage doesn't need chrome, and what they added to it looks sort of tacked on... to me. The earlier cars are true to their original design. Clean and simple.

$10k seems like a bit much for a Mirage with 48k miles, regardless of the year. But, it's a 4-year-old car... and it's a Mirage. It shouldn't be worth a penny more than half of its sticker price. On an ES, the sticker should have been around $14k, and typical actual sale price was closer to $11k.

Carmax won't haggle, that's true. But, now that you know what you like... search around for a good price on a 2014-15 model! They're out there. $4-7k should be pretty easy to find.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I test drove a 15' ES with navigation at Carmax and I liked it alot better! It feels more roomy than the 17+ leg wise and the styling is much better to my eye. It has 48k miles however and its priced at 10k (no haggle). I think its the top of the line ES with all options.

What do you guys think?
    The best buy imo for a Mirage is to get a base model but brand-new Mirage, and then also you're getting the full warranty, and to me that is the best bang for the buck. So if this 10k car ur looking a is 85% the price of a brand new base like I bought for 12 or 13,000 dollars, I would just buy new. Took a few weeks to have mine delivered, and the dealer wanted to sell me a more expensive model of course.

Yes they depreciate. On the topic of snow handling, the car does handle well, go 5 speed if you live in the snow belt...but has its limitations it's a Mitsubishi Mirage not Evo lol

Last edited by dspace9; 12-16-2018 at 01:10 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)