Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    For that price, I'd absolutely buy new.
    And you can add CC easily.
    +1

Cruise control is now standard on all 2019 models (even the ES). So see if they will make you a deal on one of those.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Criver12 View Post
    White bear Mitsubishi is offering an 18' Mirage ES manual to me for $8925 (new). That sounds like a crazy price.

Sure I would like cruise control but I can just add a rostra.
    White Bear is a dealership that will add cruise to a Mirage. Last time I checked, it was $599. They use an after market one, too.

These cars for that price brand new are a great deal! You don't learn about the great deals from car reviews, however. This is a very affordable, reliable, & economical small car!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Military discounts are good.

For that price, I'd absolutely buy new. Do watch their "dealer fee", though. Normal is $5-600. Some dealers try to sneak in crazy high dealer fees to make some more profit. They won't include that in the price they quote you.

And you can add CC easily. The car is wired for it, all you need is a switch, and a programming tool to tell the computer that you have CC.
    There are no surprises with this dealership. The price he is sharing is their price. His out the door price for everything (tax, title, plates, etc) will be under $10,000. I expected a catch when I bought from them, but there were none!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Loren (12-27-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    White bear Mitsubishi is offering an 18' Mirage ES manual to me for $8925 (new). That sounds like a crazy price.

Sure I would like cruise control but I can just add a rostra.
    White Bear Mitsubishi is very up front with their pricing. I find that very refreshing! I found it very difficult to compare apples to apples, until I contacted them. If you are getting a new Mirage for under 2/3 window sticker, I feel you are getting a great deal!

$8925/$14,425 = 61.87% White Bear is willing to sell you a car @ less than 62% of window sticker price. Even if you had them add $600 to the price for an after market cruise, you would still be around 2/3 of window sticker. Plus adding cruise should raise the window sticker price. It's a great deal either way!

White Bear has 19 of these vehicles listed on cars.com. All of them are listed under $9500. They are no hidden fees with this dealership. If you qualify for extra rebates, the price is lower (never higher). Tax, title, & license (can't avoid that anywhere) will add something, but you should be under $10,000 for everything!

I would have the alignment checked (all four wheels) as part of the deal.

You would be hard pressed to find a used 2018 Mirage for less. The used 2018 Mirage ES (manual) vehicles list higher than these new ones within the same radius search.

A CVT adds approximately $1200 to the ES deal. Personally, I prefer the manual. I think manuals are more fun and durable. Manuals aren't for everyone, however.

Price shouldn't drive everything. You want to be happy with it. It's no fun making payments on something you don't like. It's not the perfect vehicle for everyone, but surely great for some!

If your local dealer hasn't turned you off, it doesn't hurt anything to ask them to match this price. If you need them for service or warranty work some day, you at least gave them a chance to sell you a new car. I asked my local dealership if they were interested in finding me a discounted 2017 last year. They said "not really" & made all sorts of excuses. I gave them a chance before I bought a Mirage from someone else.

I do think it is important to know what sort of deal you can get on a highly discounted new Mirage before considering used ones. Sound like you have done that!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I am coming to my final decisions on a new car. I've looked at a used honda fit, mirage, or new mirage.

I do a lot of long highway driving traveling around (80 mph and below). I do alot of local driving at 65mph and below. I go through cities occasionally. Cruise control is definitely a must for me.

I don't know if I want a manual or automatic. I have driven automatic mostly and have little experience with a manual car. I am a very avid motorcyclist however (5-15k miles a year) so I understand manual driving very well.

My options are a new Mirage from white bear mitsubishi. A used mirage (looking at this one https://www.capnissan.com/vehicle-de...ks-id-27186344 with $10400 OTD price)

or a used 2015+ Honda fit (under $14000).

I am really leaning towards the Mirage but what transmission....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I am coming to my final decisions on a new car. I've looked at a used honda fit, mirage, or new mirage.

I do a lot of long highway driving traveling around (80 mph and below). I do alot of local driving at 65mph and below. I go through cities occasionally. Cruise control is definitely a must for me.

I don't know if I want a manual or automatic. I have driven automatic mostly and have little experience with a manual car. I am a very avid motorcyclist however (5-15k miles a year) so I understand manual driving very well.

My options are a new Mirage from white bear mitsubishi. A used mirage (looking at this one https://www.capnissan.com/vehicle-de...ks-id-27186344 with $10400 OTD price)

or a used 2015+ Honda fit (under $14000).

I am really leaning towards the Mirage but what transmission....
    Since all 2019’s come with cruise control I’d choose the 5 speed. Especially since you ride motorcycles the CVT will drive you nuts.
    Although 5th gear is not as much of a overdrive ratio as the CVT you’ll be happier at lower speeds and accelerating. Most manual transmission owners are reporting much better mpg’s than the CVT owners (check my fuel log with over 60k of tracking).

Buying a new Mirage you’ll get the 5yr 100k powertrain warranty along with the 3ye 36k vehicle warranty.

The Mirage’s 1.2 (3a92) is just a one less cylinder version of the 1.5 (4a92) which is one of the most durable 4 cylinders Mitsubishi ever made. Timing chain, no timing belt.

The Mirage isn’t perfect by any means but man it is reliable and for people that appreciate or want inexpensive reliable transportation it can’t be beat.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Since all 2019Â’s come with cruise control IÂ’d choose the 5 speed. Especially since you ride motorcycles the CVT will drive you nuts.
    Although 5th gear is not as much of a overdrive ratio as the CVT youÂ’ll be happier at lower speeds and accelerating. Most manual transmission owners are reporting much better mpgÂ’s than the CVT owners (check my fuel log with over 60k of tracking).

Buying a new Mirage youÂ’ll get the 5yr 100k powertrain warranty along with the 3ye 36k vehicle warranty.

The MirageÂ’s 1.2 (3a92) is just a one less cylinder version of the 1.5 (4a92) which is one of the most durable 4 cylinders Mitsubishi ever made. Timing chain, no timing belt.

The Mirage isnÂ’t perfect by any means but man it is reliable and for people that appreciate or want inexpensive reliable transportation it canÂ’t be beat.
    I wouldn't buy a 2019 if the 2018 Mirages are thousands of dollars less. Not when White Bear is willing to add cruise for $600. That's just my opinion. My local dealer wanted around $13,500 OTD for 2018 when I paid $10,153.73 OTD for brand new 2017 @ White Bear. Since my Mirage had bluetooth already added, I only gave up not having a back up camera. For a savings of over $3000, I would rather spend my money on something else. I can live without a backup camera, because I have doing that for decades. You don't miss something you've never had!

And let's get the warranty right (copied & pasted directly from Mitsubishi website) -

"We believe in the quality, reliability and durability of the Mirage so much that we back it with a 10-year/100,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty. We also include a 5-year/60,000-mile fully transferable New Vehicle Basic Limited Warranty, a 5-year/60,000-mile warranty on the restraint system, a 7-year/100,000-mile Anti-Corrosion/Perforation Limited Warranty and 5-years/unlimited miles Roadside Assistance."

The 10-year/100,000 mile warranty does not transfer to a second owner. The 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper does transfer. Not sure about the other items. I might add White Bear added a lifetime/unlimited mileage powertrain warranty to my purchase. No added charge to the OTD price that I shared.

Being able to buy these cars brand new for less than 66% window sticker does make the decision hard. I prefer to buy used, but these deals do make you reconsider that somewhat.

My first sort when searching for a car is a manual transmission. Thus, I don't know much beyond the base models. Good luck with your decision!
    Last edited by Mark; 01-08-2019 at 04:43 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Oops, don’t know why I got the warranty wrong. Need more sleep!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,474 Posts
    ...I've looked at a used honda fit, mirage, or new mirage.
    So your choices are...

1. New 2018 Mirage ES 5-speed with $600 Cruise Control Added...$10,000
    2. Used 2015+ Honda Fit with approximately 35,000 mi...........$13,500
    3. Used 2017 Mirage GT with 32,000 miles.......................$10,000

A brand new Mirage for $10K and a full warranty is hard to beat.

The only thing you need to make sure of is how long do you plan on having this car. A Mirage is not a good car to buy and then decide 18 months later that you want to sell it. The resale value of a Mirage is pretty bad. The 2017 GT you are looking at is a good example. That car had a sticker price of $17,300+, and the guy that traded it in probably got $7,000 for it a year later. That's why if you're going to buy a new Mirage, you want to buy it at a healthy discount...like White Bear is offering.

Check out this topic regarding Mirage freeway driving and transmission choice...

Manual Transmission for Freeway Driving

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-08-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I know I've been taking my time but I want to make sure I make the right decision.

I am going to go with a 5 speed. I really wish they still made an SE model with it.

I feel like I can accept the 18 ES 5 speed as is
    I can add my own cruise control for cheaper than the dealer with the switch I want.

It randomly popped in my head but can an automatic climate control unit be put into the car with standard controls. I've had standard controls on all my vehicles so I wouldn't care too much but I thought auto a/c would be neat. Not being able to do so wouldn't affect my decision. I just saw the auto units for $60 on ebay