United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Criver12 View Post
    ...test drove a 15' ES with navigation at Carmax
    ...48k miles
    ...priced at 10k
    ...What do you guys think?
    I have a 2015 ES (MSRP $15,000) that I bought brand new in March of 2016...for $10,300. Very few people paid anywhere near sticker price for these things by the time 2015 rolled around.

Nobody should pay anywhere near $10K for a 4-year-old Mirage right now. I'm not knocking my own car...but I doubt Carmax has $5K in that Mirage. If they do, their buyer should be fired. If you have a link to that car, post it. I looked on Carmax and can't find a Mirage that fits your description.

I would re-read post 25. If I wanted to buy a used Mirage right now, I think I would give that dealer a call and price out a new one. I might have to drive up there and drive the car home, but if I'm saving thousands of dollars and getting a brand new car for the price of a 4-year-old used one, it would be well worth it. That dealer isn't that far from you.

I negotiated with and purchased my car from an out-of-state dealer that was 350+ miles away. It was somewhat inconvenient for me to pick up the car (I had to drive an 11 hour round trip in one day)...but I got a great deal and exactly what I wanted. I would do it all over again. Heck...I'll call that dealer in Minnesota myself next time!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Criver12 View Post
    What do you guys think?
    They are asking too much. Keep looking.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Nobody should pay anywhere near $10K for a 4-year-old Mirage right now.
    I don't mean to offend anyone or make anyone feel bad, but I wouldn't pay more than $10,000 for brand new 2018 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (manual). You can purchase this car brand new for $9,999 @ White Bear Mitsubishi. They have at least 5 or 6 of them listed for that price on cars.com. What they list on line means nothing, too. They will do their best to get you whatever color you want.

I paid $9299 for brand new 2017 Mirage ES (manual) in October of 2017. I called the manager of White Bear Mitsubishi, & he picked up his own phone. The car I bought wasn't on their lot. They went out and got one from another dealership and then delivered it to my home in Wisconsin a few days later for free. If I had qualified for the military or current Mitsubishi owner discounts, I would have gotten this car for less!!!!

Paying $10,000 for a 4-year old Mirage would be nuts! You can get a brand new one for that price! At least I know I can get one for that price. Maybe even less!!! Play whatever game they give you and take advantage of any offer. I financed $10,000 with Ally to get $500 off at the time. Since the car was so cheap ($10,153.73 out-the-door), I had to finance entire deal. My own credit union even suggested I do that, & 3 months later I refinanced with my local credit union. I paid $153.73 @ my kitchen table, & the salesman that delivered my car handed me the keys. I had a behind-the-wheel lesson in the morning. They were in my driveway with the car when I got home. Later that afternoon, I went bowhunting. I bought a car from Minnesota, but the deal took up about 20 minutes of my Saturday. I didn't haggle on price at all with White Bear, & I paid slightly less than 66% window sticker price on my car.

I financed the entire car with no trade, and my payments are $169/month @ 2.74% for 60 months with my local credit union. I could pay off this car entirely, but I still owe a few thousand on it yet.

Look up ads for White Bear Mitsubishi on youtube.com You'll meet Richard, the manager of White Bear Mitsubishi. Their ads are a hoot! Their white bear mascot falling on the ice has gone viral world-wide. Richard Herod III <richardherod3@gmail.com>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or4OvWXX5bY

My local dealership wasn't interested in finding me a 2017 Mirage ES (manual). They wanted to sell me a 2018 for around $12,000-13,000. Everything they did was a turn off. Worst practices I have ever seen at any dealership ever. My money went elsewhere. Richard was looking for my car as we were talking on the phone. Richard sent me to my local dealership and told me what to look for before buying a car from him. At the time, I had to decide if I wanted a 2017 ES or SE with manual transmission.

White Bear Mitsubishi was a Saturn dealership. Saturn was known for their up front pricing. That practice may have carried over to how they do business. Night & day difference in dealership practices.

Paying $10,000 for 4-year old Mirage would be crazy. I wouldn't pay more than $10,000 for a brand new Mirage.

Sidenote: A new $9,999 Mirage comes with a 5 year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper, 10-year/100,000 mile power train warranties, 5 years/unlimited miles roadside assistance, & White Bear Mitsubishi added their unlimited mileage power train warranty for no added charge. Plus, my car came delivered with a cute little white bear buckled in the center of the back seat.

If you are someone who is going to keep a car until the wheels fall off, this is a good deal.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-16-2018 at 06:50 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I also bought from white bear mitsubishi. Two mirages actually. Excellent experience. Even getting a one way ticket to MN to drive one home would be cheaper than most sell for at other dealerships. I would bet white bear Mitsubishi would go pick you up at the airport lol.

Mgr emailed me asking what we needed to make a deal with them and he made what we wanted happen. Done deal.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I also bought from white bear mitsubishi. Two mirages actually. Excellent experience. Even getting a one way ticket to MN to drive one home would be cheaper than most sell for at other dealerships. I would bet white bear Mitsubishi would go pick you up at the airport lol.

Mgr emailed me asking what we needed to make a deal with them and he made what we wanted happen. Done deal.
    Same experience here. Manager emailed me himself. I called him when I was ready to make a deal a couple months later. I just asked for $9500 Mirage, & he started looking for my top 3 color choices while I was on the phone with him. When I shared that I had no way of picking up the car, he offered free delivery to Wisconsin. That sort of sealed the deal.

I used my local dealership to test drive a Mirage. They had no interest in helping me find a discounted 2017. They were really lame by comparison.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    White Bear sounds like an amazing dealership. I hope they're doing well financially--they deserve it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
    White Bear sounds like an amazing dealership. I hope they're doing well financially--they deserve it.
    I'd bet they are one of the nations top Mitsubishi dealers. They do a ton of TV advertising which I've noticed is not common for a Mitsubishi dealership.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I'd bet they are one of the nations top Mitsubishi dealers. They do a ton of TV advertising which I've noticed is not common for a Mitsubishi dealership.
    People have to judge for themselves what is a good deal. I didn't qualify for all of Mitsubishi's rebates (military & current Mitsubishi owner) at the time of purchase. Even without those rebates/incentives, White Bear was willing to sell me a brand new Mirage for $9,000. The only reason I paid $9299 was related to my first color choice. They found my first color choice at another dealership in the Twin Cities, but the car had Bluetooth, center armrest, and pulse lighting already added to the car. They asked if I was willing to pay the $9299 or if I wanted them to look for a different car without those items added on. At that point, I wasn't going to bicker over $300. I could tell this car was easy for them to get, & they were willing to deliver it to my home in Wisconsin for free. Keep in mind, White Bear was sold out of their Mirage ES (manual) vehicles when I was making this request last October. I was asking them to go out and get me a new car at that price, and they didn't hesitate one bit.

Even if I was going to pay cash for this car, I would have financed it for the extra $500 rebate. That's the world we live in now. Paying cash doesn't always get you the best deal any more. I wouldn't walk into any car dealership without knowing their out-the-door price first, but that's me. In this case, I didn't even do that. They brought the deal to me, & I am about 4 hours from them. I call that pretty good customer service!

My dad uses the other approach, & that can work, too. My dad has never used a cell phone on his own, and he wouldn't know how to turn on a computer. He wanted to trade in his older GMC Terrain for the new model that came out about a year ago. The GMC dealership wanted his trade plus $12,000 extra. He told them he wanted to pay $6000 cash. He tried to walk out three times. First, they realized they miscalculated what his trade was worth. The second time, they realized he was eligible for some extra rebates. The third time, they gave him another $750 off if he would finance the deal with GMC. That got the deal down to $6000 plus his trade. 3 weeks later he paid off the loan in full with no penalty. He played their game & got a a great deal!

The Outlander Sport is a big seller for White Bear Mitsubishi. I believe they are number one in the nation on selling them. I can only share my experience with them. I felt they bent over backwards to sell me a car.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-18-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    White bear Mitsubishi is offering an 18' Mirage ES manual to me for $8925 (new). That sounds like a crazy price.

Sure I would like cruise control but I can just add a rostra.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Military discounts are good.

For that price, I'd absolutely buy new. Do watch their "dealer fee", though. Normal is $5-600. Some dealers try to sneak in crazy high dealer fees to make some more profit. They won't include that in the price they quote you.

And you can add CC easily. The car is wired for it, all you need is a switch, and a programming tool to tell the computer that you have CC.

Simplify and add lightness.