Thread: Should I buy a 2019 Mitsubishi Mirage GT Hatchback

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Should I buy a 2019 Mitsubishi Mirage GT Hatchback

Hey everyone I am looking at possibly getting a GT but need some opinions. My reason for wanting one is the MPG I could get on long distance driving. Is interstate driving relatively comfortable in these cars?

I have driven a 2015 Honda Fit, 2005 Jeep Wrangler, 1998 Volkswagen Jetta, and a 1999 Jeep Cherokee. I would say the Jetta had the best highway ride quality with the fit an extremely close second.

I am also concerned about the AC not being strong enough in hot portions of the summer (a big problem the fit had as the AC was WAYYY over-taxed and could not cool the cabin efficiently). Is the AC / heat capable at the temperature extremes? My Jeeps definitely kicked*** when it came to AC and heat.

Lastly, how is the snow commute / traction control? During typical winter months I would have to commute to work in snowy / icy conditions. Hopefully this will change if I get stationed at a base in a warmer climate

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Apologies in advance to any GT owners...

What is attracting you to the GT? It is the most expensive Mirage (MSRP $18,000 )...and arguably the worst Mirage value. It's also only available with a CVT. Have you shopped and compared the other trim levels?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Apologies in advance to any GT owners...

What is attracting you to the GT? It is the most expensive Mirage (MSRP $18,000 )...and arguably the worst Mirage value. It's also only available with a CVT. Have you shopped and compared the other trim levels?
    Dealers price for me on an orange 19 GT is about $12300. They have a huge military discount ($4000 off) + the incentives and rebates. Just the little additions such as heated seats and nicer alloy wheels.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Criver12 View Post
    Dealers price for me on an orange 19 GT is about $12300. They have a huge military discount ($4000 off) + the incentives and rebates. Just the little additions such as heated seats and nicer alloy wheels.
    The Mirage is somewhat slow and noisy. That is the trade-off for the high mpg and relatively low cost. I would take one for a nice, long test drive and see if it meets your needs. If ride quality is very important to you then the Mirage might disappoint. The heater and AC are both perfectly good, but AC use will make the car even slower. These cars are very, very reliable. They also come with the best warranty in the industry...which you won't need.

BTW, $12,300 for a 2019 GT in December of 2018 is a FANTASTIC deal. If I could get that sort of deal on a new GT I'd trade in my '15 ES with 107k in a heartbeat!

The Mirage will certainly work as a freeway commuter car, though that is not really what it is designed for. It is meant to be a 'city car' and it excels at this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    ...$12,300 for a 2019 GT in December of 2018 is a FANTASTIC deal.
    Yeah...that price is crazy! As long as you aren't paying anywhere near $18,000, then you're OK.

edit - For me the biggest consideration would be the transmission choice. So if you have never driven a car with a CVT before, look into possibly renting a Mirage and driving it around for a couple of days.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 12-05-2018 at 01:05 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    If heated seats & nicer alloy wheels are important to you, the new 2019 LE trim level has heated seats & 15" alloy wheels, too.

If I could get a 2018 GT for less, I would really question paying extra for the 2019 GT? I realize your discount appears good to you, but I would search for the best deal on both 2018 & 2019 models, because they aren't that different. Using the numbers you shared -

$12,300/$16,300 = 75.46% of window sticker

I bought a 2017 Mirage ES (manual) after the 2018 models came out. The window sticker price on my Mirage was $14,220. I paid $9299. No trade, $10,153.73 out-the-door price & delivered to my home for free from a dealership 200 miles away.

$9299/$14,220 = 65.39% of window sticker. I didn't qualify for military or Mitsubishi incentives, or I would have paid less.

I've driven across Wisconsin in minus 20 degree weather to visit my parents. I felt totally fine in my Mirage. I don't find it to be any different than my 2011 Subaru Forester. I have the manual temperature controls (prefer these), & feeling comfortable is not a problem. I am totally convinced that skinny wheels on a small subcompact car will do better in snow than wide low profile tires. 14 years of driving a 1990 Ford Festiva with 145SR12 wheels taught me that lesson. I live in the driftless region of southwest Wisconsin, & I have to drive up a steep ridge road to get home. If it's really nasty, the Subaru comes out. The little Mirage, however, does quite well in snow.

I've been to the Devil's Lake area (North Dakota) with my Mirage for a guided fishing trip with friends this past summer. I've been to the Lake Superior area of Upper Michigan on another adventure. I am almost @ 19,000 miles now with no complaints. I really like my Mirage. Having said that, I wouldn't pay much for one. In my opinion, the Mirage is a affordable, reliable, economy car. Adding a lot of options can't really change that. I love manual transmissions, & that eliminates having to pick a trim level. 2017 still had two trim levels with manuals, however.

Good luck with whatever you decide! A highly discounted new Mirage is a hard deal to beat!!
    Last edited by Mark; 12-06-2018 at 06:08 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (12-06-2018),Rockabilly Manta (01-11-2019),Top_Fuel (12-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I bought a 2017 Mirage ES (manual) after the 2018 models came out. The window sticker price on my Mirage was $14,220. I paid $9299. No trade, $10,153.73 out-the-door price & delivered to my home for free from a dealership 200 miles away.

$9299/$14,220 = 65.39% of window sticker. I didn't qualify for military or Mitsubishi incentives, or I would have paid less.
    From $14,220 to $10,153. That is an insane discount. I am supposed to test drive a 2019 late in the week,
    but I have all but given up on the idea of actually buying one because the online MSRP is over $14K.

Can you please sketch out the negotiation with your salesman? Or maybe you did that in another thread at the time
    of purchase?

I don't really need a new car. But were the price low enough, I would probably do the dumb thing and buy it.
    I realize the OP got an insane discount, but the military thing was the
    big factor and it doesn't apply to me. They are offering $1000 back for a cash deal and I HAVE
    to do a cash deal since I have no normal income.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderBridgeDweller View Post
    From $14,220 to $10,153. That is an insane discount. I am supposed to test drive a 2019 late in the week,
    but I have all but given up on the idea of actually buying one because the online MSRP is over $14K.

Can you please sketch out the negotiation with your salesman? Or maybe you did that in another thread at the time
    of purchase?

I don't really need a new car. But were the price low enough, I would probably do the dumb thing and buy it.
    I realize the OP got an insane discount, but the military thing was the
    big factor and it doesn't apply to me. They are offering $1000 back for a cash deal and I HAVE
    to do a cash deal since I have no normal income.
    Window sticker was $14,220 for my 2017 Mirage ES (manual) with added center armrest, pulse lighting, & Bluetooth. Window sticker doesn't include tax, registration, plates, or any other extras. I paid $9299 (9299/14,220 = 65.39% of window sticker). The $10,153.73 was the "out-the door" price including tax, registration, new Wisconsin plates, etc... I was planning to buy a $9000 Mirage from White Bear, but my car had some extras. I sensed my car was an easy find for them, it was in my first color choice, and they were already going above & beyond. I wasn't going to bicker over $300.

If I had qualified for the military discount or current Mitsubishi owner rebates being offered at the time, I would have gotten my car for less than $9299. I didn't negotiate a deal. This was their selling price for the Mirage at the time.

During the summer of 2017, White Bear Mitsubishi (Minnesota) had been advertising Mirages for $9500. I bought mine in October of 2017 after they were sold out of them. I just called them, & the manager picked up his own phone. I didn't negotiate a price. I just asked if he had any more $9500 Mirages. They found my car at another dealership in the Twin Cities on a Tuesday and delivered it to my home that Saturday. I live in SW Wisconsin, & when they offered to deliver the car to my home (4-hours away) for free I couldn't resist. I told them that I would be home at 10:30 on Saturday morning. I had a behind-the-wheel lesson that morning. When I got home at 10:25 am, the car was in my driveway. I met my salesman at that time. We did the paperwork @ my kitchen table. 10-15 minutes later, he handed me the keys to my new car. Another worker for the dealership had driven his Outlander Sport to my home, and they did the 4-hour drive back to Minnesota. Afterwards, I went bowhunting behind my house.

My local dealership wanted over $13,000 OTD for a 2018 Mirage. I just used them for a test drive.

I financed with Ally (4%/60 months) to get the price down $9299. 3 months later I refinanced with my local credit union @ 2.74%/60 months. I had two daughters get married in 2017, & that tapped my savings. Thus, I didn't mind financing at the time.

Cash doesn't always get you the best deal on new cars. You can play their game and still win out, however.

My dad bought a 2017 GMC Terrain about the same time. Even though he wanted to pay cash, he saved thousands by financing. He paid off the entire loan with his first payment (with no penalty).

Likewise, my brother just traded in his 2004 GMC pickup for a brand new 2018 GMC pickup about a month ago. He wanted to pay cash, but he saved thousands by financing at least $10,000. He can pay off the entire vehicle in 3 months with no penalty, & that is what he's going to do.

My own local credit union even told me to take the rebate upfront, & I refinanced the car as used with them 3 months later. I am planning to pay off my Mirage next month.

In summary, I asked for $9500 Mirage. If I was willing to finance $10,000 with Ally, I could get another $500 off the price. Thus, a $9500 Mirage became a $9000 Mirage. My Mirage ES (manual) had a few extras, & I paid the $9299. The OTD price (including everything came to $10,153.73, & I financed $10,000 for the final rebate. I wrote a check for $153.73 at my kitchen table that morning. If I hadn't bought a Mirage with a few extras, they would have written me a check to buy a car from them???? Go figure!!!!

I bought my car almost 1.5 years ago. I just did a 250 miles search for my car used. Three 2017 Mirage ES (manuals) came up. All three used cars are priced higher than what I paid new in October of 2017 (42,684 miles for $9390, 11,111 miles for $10,996, & 15,614 miles for $11,500). These cars will probably sell for less used, but I really can't whine about depreciation.

The average priced Ford F150 depreciates over $14,000 in one year. I plan on driving my Mirage for 10+ years, and the most it can ever depreciate during that time is $9299.

Keep in mind, a 2019 Mirage ES has more standard features now. Bluetooth, 6-way adjustable driver's seat, backup camera, & cruise were not standard equipment in 2017. Thus, I would expect to pay a little more for a 2019. I suspect late summer & beyond would be the best time of year to buy a discounted 2019 Mirage.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-24-2019 at 06:15 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have the 2015 base model and the a/c is extremely strong. More than enough in my opinion. The heater also has been more than enough to handle the 50 degrees of winter in Florida (not very cold winters here)

Its such a small amount of interior space so the a/c is more than adequate. I imagine its even better on the newer models.

I just hit 15k miles total on my car. I barely drive it since I purchased a motorcycle
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 2,128 Posts
    Hey everyone I am looking at possibly getting a GT but need some opinions. My reason for wanting one is the MPG I could get on long distance driving. Is interstate driving relatively comfortable in these cars?

I have driven a 2015 Honda Fit, 2005 Jeep Wrangler, 1998 Volkswagen Jetta, and a 1999 Jeep Cherokee. I would say the Jetta had the best highway ride quality with the fit an extremely close second.

I am also concerned about the AC not being strong enough in hot portions of the summer (a big problem the fit had as the AC was WAYYY over-taxed and could not cool the cabin efficiently). Is the AC / heat capable at the temperature extremes? My Jeeps definitely kicked*** when it came to AC and heat.

Lastly, how is the snow commute / traction control? During typical winter months I would have to commute to work in snowy / icy conditions. Hopefully this will change if I get stationed at a base in a warmer climate
    Hello Criver12 and welcome to the forum.

If fuel economy is your primary objective, it's really hard to beat the Mirage. It's fuel economy rivals that of hybrids without the complication. One way to improve on the fuel economy of the Mirage is to get one with a manual transmission.

I have found the Mirage very comfortable, but this is subjective - everyone has their own opinion. A test drive should prove this out to you.

Personally I find no problems with the air conditioning, with one exception. In my 2015 Mirage with automatic AC, the compressor ran whenever the engine was running, by default. I turned this off to save my compressor and fuel economy. Other than that, I am impressed with the automatic climate controls - the defrost function clears the windshield faster than any other car I've driven.

I am also impressed with the ASC traction control. It too is on by default, and in snowy road conditions I can hear it operate but not really feel it kicking in. Sliding around is much easier with the ASC off.

I have two questions for you, as this is not clear in your posts:
    1. Have you taken one for a test drive?
    2. Does your dealer's offer include any trade-in?

I'm not sure the extra cost of the GT trim would convince me to buy one, but that price is a good one. If you can get that discount on a lower trim level Mirage, that would be a good option to have. Personally, I'm not too hung up on what wheels are on the car.

As a young man in the military, I put a Lot of miles on small fuel-efficient cars and saved my money for things that mattered more.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)