Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a 2019 Mitsubishi Mirage GT Hatchback

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Criver12 View Post
    ...During typical winter months I would have to commute to work in snowy / icy conditions.
    If you are stationed at Whiteman AFB (Kansas City area), I would drive it for a winter without snow tires and see how it goes. Your winter is similar to mine here in southern Ohio (WPAFB). We might get 15" of snow in the ENTIRE WINTER. These guys posting from Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc might as well live at the North Pole. Their winter climate is different than yours will be. Some of these guys get more snow in a day than we will get in the next 3 months. I don't have snow tires and I've never had any traction issues in my Mirage. It's awesome compared to the 5.0 Mustang I commuted in for years without snow tires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's a good price for a GT.

On the snow front, there's many threads about how awesome these little cars are in snow, even with stock tires. I don't get much winter in Portland, but have taken her through some mountain passes with tons of snow and she is definitely sure footed. Definitely one of the best front wheel drive cars I've owned.

I think you'd be very happy with the purchase.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    No you didnt drive though 15-18" of snow in a Mirage. Not a chance.
    I should have made a recording of it. If we ever get slammed again with a snow storm, I'll try it again It did have some trouble at a stop but it does slowly move forward. It seriously surprised me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (12-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No you didnt drive though 15-18" of snow in a Mirage. Not a chance.

That would be very hard if not impossible even in a 4wd full size truck. No vehicle is going to go through much more than their ground clearance. You can push a bit but the mirage has about 4" of clearance lol.
    It's definitely possible. What kind of snow? Wet slushy? Less likely. Fluffy? More likely. If you're moving, you can go through a lot more snow than just your ground clearance. I drove my Elantra for 10 years in North Dakota, and many times went through snow flying over my hood and windshield. The Mirage also has more than 4 inches of clearance. Were you there with him when he drove in it? No. No reason to shoot an opinion when you don't know for sure. The things he said are plausible.
    (blank signature)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Criver12 View Post
    Dealers price for me on an orange 19 GT is about $12300. They have a huge military discount ($4000 off) + the incentives and rebates. Just the little additions such as heated seats and nicer alloy wheels.
    If heated seats & nicer alloy wheels are important to you, the new 2019 LE trim level has heated seats & 15" alloy wheels, too.

If I could get a 2018 GT for less, I would really question paying extra for the 2019 GT? I realize your discount appears good to you, but I would search for the best deal on both 2018 & 2019 models, because they aren't that different. Using the numbers you shared -

$12,300/$16,300 = 75.46% of window sticker

I bought a 2017 Mirage ES (manual) after the 2018 models came out. The window sticker price on my Mirage was $14,220. I paid $9299. No trade, $10,153.73 out-the-door price & delivered to my home for free from a dealership 200 miles away.

$9299/$14,220 = 65.39% of window sticker. I didn't qualify for military or Mitsubishi incentives, or I would have paid less.

I've driven across Wisconsin in minus 20 degree weather to visit my parents. I felt totally fine in my Mirage. I don't find it to be any different than my 2011 Subaru Forester. I have the manual temperature controls (prefer these), & feeling comfortable is not a problem. I am totally convinced that skinny wheels on a small subcompact car will do better in snow than wide low profile tires. 14 years of driving a 1990 Ford Festiva with 145SR12 wheels taught me that lesson. I live in the driftless region of southwest Wisconsin, & I have to drive up a steep ridge road to get home. If it's really nasty, the Subaru comes out. The little Mirage, however, does quite well in snow.

I've been to the Devil's Lake area (North Dakota) with my Mirage for a guided fishing trip with friends this past summer. I've been to the Lake Superior area of Upper Michigan on another adventure. I am almost @ 19,000 miles now with no complaints. I really like my Mirage. Having said that, I wouldn't pay much for one. In my opinion, the Mirage is a affordable, reliable, economy car. Adding a lot of options can't really change that. I love manual transmissions, & that eliminates having to pick a trim level. 2017 still had two trim levels with manuals, however.

Good luck with whatever you decide! A highly discounted new Mirage is a hard deal to beat!!
    Last edited by Mark; 12-06-2018 at 06:08 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (12-06-2018),Rockabilly Manta (01-11-2019),Top_Fuel (12-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thank you everyone for all the great post and help! I think the new LE model has better value, heck even the new ES models have cruise which is my most important requirement.

I got to test ride an LE yesterday and I did love the overall feel of the car but I just couldn't get comfortable in the driver seat. I have long legs but I was able to be okay with the leg room. The biggest issue was the arm rest. On long drives I use them extensively and it was impossible to use them while driving or at all (left arm rest) as I have to sit farther back.

I didn't have any ergonomic problems with my chevy spark test drive but I would rather have the driving feel of the mirage. Just something I have to think about and I've got a few months to decide.

Thanks again!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Good luck with your decision. Keep us posted...even if you get the Spark!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    It's definitely possible. What kind of snow? Wet slushy? Less likely. Fluffy? More likely. If you're moving, you can go through a lot more snow than just your ground clearance. I drove my Elantra for 10 years in North Dakota, and many times went through snow flying over my hood and windshield. The Mirage also has more than 4 inches of clearance. Were you there with him when he drove in it? No. No reason to shoot an opinion when you don't know for sure. The things he said are plausible.
    I've been behind the wheel of a car for over 27 years in the upper midwest. With lots and lots of snow plow experience and other winter driving. There is ZERO chance a mirage is going anywhere in 15-18" of any kind of snow. Period.

I've also only seen that much uncut snow on the road once. That was the very unexpected Halloween blizzard in 1991. Which was taking place the same time as the "perfect storm" on the east coast.

Most big snows are known well in advance and plows are out all night long.
    Now I've seen that much plenty in lots and no mirage is going anywhere in that much uncut snow. And if its already been plowed it's not 15-18"
    Last edited by Pryme; 12-08-2018 at 04:30 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've been behind the wheel of a car for over 27 years in the upper midwest. With lots and lots of snow plow experience and other winter driving. There is ZERO chance a mirage is going anywhere in 15-18" of any kind of snow. Period.

I've also only seen that much uncut snow on the road once. That was the very unexpected Halloween blizzard in 1991. Which was taking place the same time as the "perfect storm" on the east coast.

Most big snows are known well in advance and plows are out all night long.
    Now I've seen that much plenty in lots and no mirage is going anywhere in that much uncut snow. And if its already been plowed it's not 15-18"
    27 years? Yep, so have I in North Dakota on a farm 30 miles from town with no plow maintaining our roads.

It's possible, PERIOD. Lol

So Criver, this car is great in winter with appropriate driving and will easily drive through more snow than some may think is possible.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    27 years? Yep, so have I in North Dakota on a farm 30 miles from town with no plow maintaining our roads.

It's possible, PERIOD. Lol

So Criver, this car is great in winter with appropriate driving and will easily drive through more snow than some may think is possible.
    Find a video of any 2wd car driving through 15-18" of uncut snow.

I'll wait here......

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Rockabilly Manta (01-11-2019)