Thread: Cvt power solenoid closes or off

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cvt power solenoid closes or off

I bought a 2015 mitsubishi mirage new. I changed the cvt fluid that can come out of the drain plug every engineoil change after about 30,000 miles. I have driven the heck out of it in the worst conditions... but it seems to be giving up on me.. recently it surges or won't shift, I get a code p0796. I changed the cvt fluid fully cleaned the drain pan and changed both filters but that didn't help, same issues. It's got 159,000 miles on it now and these issues only started recently. When i changed the cvt fluid this time I got what was available locally not mitsubishi oil. I'm not sure if that could be an issue. Also i did find a decent amount of metal shavings on the little magnets I don't think that's a good sign. Just wondering if there is any hope or if I should tumble it off a cliff.

How much is a decent amount of shavings?? Like this? Attachment 24583
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-11-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    How much is a decent amount of shavings?? Like this? Attachment 24583
    Good grief, what the heck has that CVT been through? Is it one of yours? Can it even begin to function throwing metal in those quantities around? It reminds me of the crankcase of my Kawi 500 triple after it blew a piston and I had no choice but to drive it 75 miles to get back to civilization.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Good grief, what the heck has that CVT been through? Is it one of yours? Can it even begin to function throwing metal in those quantities around? It reminds me of the crankcase of my Kawi 500 triple after it blew a piston and I had no choice but to drive it 75 miles to get back to civilization.
    Yeah one of the fleet cars. This one had the input bearing(thrust washer) pile up.

Oddly enough I just realized my own car was throwing this same P0796 code. Previous owner didn't trust it anymore and sold it to me. I drove it for 6-7 months with varying levels of surging. I found if I got up to speed then let off the throttle to let it shift then it was driveable but I still didn't trust it to take on a 1200mile road trip. I only used it in town.. A rod bearing spun afte about 6 months so I replaced both the engine and transmission at the same time.

I considered just replacing the valve body but a used cvt with 3000miles cost me only $500 from lkq...
    I still have the old transmission in my garage that I plan to tear apart and see whats going on.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I considered just replacing the valve body but a used cvt with 3000miles cost me only $500 from lkq...
    I still have the old transmission in my garage that I plan to tear apart and see whats going on.
    Will the fleet car become a parts donor or get fixed up? You scored a great CVT deal. That's why I'd buy a hi-mile CVT model without a second look these days. 5 years ago not so much. Hell, I might even consider swapping my 2014 5 MT for a CVT. Not entire cars, just the trannies.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Will the fleet car become a parts donor or get fixed up? You scored a great CVT deal. That's why I'd buy a hi-mile CVT model without a second look these days. 5 years ago not so much. Hell, I might even consider swapping my 2014 5 MT for a CVT. Not entire cars, just the trannies.
    Only cars damaged beyond repair become parts cars. That happens too often...
    That's my same way of thinking, when I first started looking for one of these cars to buy personally all I could find was a 2014 SE with 36k km for $6000. I wanted a beater for cheaper so eventually, my current car became available for super cheap so I sold the low mileage car.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They were both fuzzy like the right magnet in your photo, nothing tall like the left magnet in your photo.

My lights dim when it surges a which which I find odd for somee reason.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's a lot of metal.
    If you can get a good deal on a transmission I'd buy it just to have. even if it doesn't end up in this car.

as for the rolling off a cliff. Have you ever seen the "cars will fly on 4th of July" that happens in Alaska.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Only cars damaged beyond repair become parts cars. That happens too often...
    That's my same way of thinking, when I first started looking for one of these cars to buy personally all I could find was a 2014 SE with 36k km for $6000. I wanted a beater for cheaper so eventually, my current car became available for super cheap so I sold the low mileage car.
    worked out then, good. I keep wondering should I unload the 2017 while prices are still pretty high. sigh, dunno.