Thread: Still in the Break-in period. When to change oil?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Still in the Break-in period. When to change oil?

Hello.

I just picked up my new '23 mirage on Friday and I am at a little over 200km.
    I have been driving the car super easy. Keeping RPM <4000 making sure to change my speed often.

It is currently winter I have been leaving the car off while clearing the snow and only idling long enough for the fog to clear from the windows.

I feel like I have looked up and followed every pre-caution I could take during the break-in period.
    Is there anything else I should be doing during the break in period?
    When should I get my first oil change. I believe it is the typical engine oil for a Mirage and not Break-in oil.

Should I wait until 1000km before changing it? Or at the planned every 6000km?

It wouldn't hurt to do the first oil change early. The service schedule for my side-by-side called for the first service at 200km or 20hrs and it holds 4 liters of oil.
    If it makes you feel any better, none of the fleet cars that I maintain have any special break in procedure. Keys are thrown at someone and they giver. Out of the millions of miles(combined) on these fleet Mirages over the last 8 years, I've only replaced one engine only cause it had low compression in one hole and would misfire on the highway sometimes.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-10-2023),cleadus_fetus (01-10-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I did my first oil change on my 1st Mirage (2014) about 550kms. It didn't help as I had one of the engines with piston slap and it used oil from day one till it was written off. Actually, doing your first two oil changes within say, 1500 miles will alert you to any possible oil use problems.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

cleadus_fetus (01-10-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cleadus_fetus View Post
    Hello.

I just picked up my new '23 mirage on Friday and I am at a little over 200km.
    I have been driving the car super easy. Keeping RPM <4000 making sure to change my speed often.

It is currently winter I have been leaving the car off while clearing the snow and only idling long enough for the fog to clear from the windows.

I feel like I have looked up and followed every pre-caution I could take during the break-in period.
    Is there anything else I should be doing during the break in period?
    When should I get my first oil change. I believe it is the typical engine oil for a Mirage and not Break-in oil.

Should I wait until 1000km before changing it? Or at the planned every 6000km?
    If you are planning to do 6,000 km oil changes, I would split the first two oil changes in some manner & go from there. I think that would be a great way to start out with a new engine. That would look like -

Oil/filter changes @

Option 1
    1st one done @ 1,000 km & 2nd one done 5,000 km later (@ 6,000 km). Then do it every 6,000 km after that.

or

Option 2
    1st one done @ 2,000 km & 2nd one done 4,000 km later (@ 6,000 km). Then do it every 6,000 km after that.

or

Option 3
    1st one done @ 3,000 km & 2nd one done 3,000 km later (@ 6,000 km). Then do it every 6,000 km after that.

I would probably pick the 1st or 2nd option.

I can't say that I did that with my Mirage, but in hindsight I would have done some form of that. If I did things over, I would have done the 1st oil change @ 1,000 miles, 2nd one 4,000 miles later, and every 5,000 miles after that.

In the States, we have two different maintenance schedules to pick from. Depending on one's driving conditions, a person may choose to do 3,750 mi/6,000 km or 7,500 mi/12,000 km oil changes. I prefer splitting the difference a little & do 5,000 mi/8000 km oil changes using a full synthetic oil & decent quality oil filter.

I think your Mirage should do well with 6,000 km oil changes in the future. It's only 3 quarts of oil & I see no need to keep it in there forever.

I am just offering my opinion of what I would do if I bought a new Mirage today. It's not supported by cold hard facts.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-11-2023 at 12:12 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

cleadus_fetus (01-11-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I would love to have a comprehensive chart comparing the service requirements from various parts of the world to see if there's a consistent pattern, like say, a shorter oil change interval for hotter climates or more often coolant change for very hot places.

We might be able to see a pattern. What would confuse me is seeing something like a 6000km oil change for Malaysia but 7500kms for say, South Africa.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)