Thread: Axle seal leak

Axle seal leak

Has anyone had to replace one? I've got one that's leaking and the car is way past warranty but the cvt has been replaced(used) about a year ago. It's looking like another dealer only item that neither dealer in town has in stock. 2-5 days away...That's my biggest complaint about these cars, they rarely need to be fixed but when they do you'd better not be in a rush cause parts can be hard to get.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have replaced them, but not on the mirage, thankfully the mirage has a good bit of room to work in!
    2018 mirage ES manual

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Seems like almost all of those kinds of parts are generic universal parts. If you've got another trans laying around, pull the seal out and measure it... or look for a part number on it. I bet you can find a replacement.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Good point. It's just a jatco transmission, I'd guess the seal is the same or similar for a spark or nissan. I got one shipped in from the dealer. It just showed up here. The Mitsubishi part number is 2702A072. The numbers on the actual seal are NOK AH23651. 2702A072 is also a part number for a dodge seal, couldn't find a pick for it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-11-2018),Loren (12-10-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't know anything about automatics, but on a manual transmission, you better drain the fluid before you pull an axle. Otherwise you are in for a big mess.

This reminds me, I need to get around to topping off my gear oil.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-08-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The Mitsubishi part number is 2702A072. The numbers on the actual seal are NOK AH23651. 2702A072 is also a part number for a dodge seal...
    Parts interchange:

Mitsubishi 2702A072
    NOK AH23651
    SKF 15888
    Payen NJ190

and probably, many more!

The details if you are interested...

I just replaced my seals. My old and new original Mitsubishi parts, 2702A072, had the NOK AH23651 printed on both of them. After putting in the new seals during a complete used transmission swap, both of the new dealer seals began leaking after driving for about ten minutes. I had to replace them with aftermarket seals, SKF 15888, mainly because the dealer was closed and I had to have it fixed that night. The SKF aftermarket seals are completely covered with rubber around the outside of the seal. The original dealer part made by NOK only has a very small ring of rubber on the outside edge. I suspect that was where the leaking was happening.

I picked up the two aftermarket seals from Napa, and interestingly enough, one of the boxes had a seal in it with a different wrapper, different manufacture, and different part number on it. The brand was Payen, it was labeled as a NJ190 for a Nissan. It was also labeled Corr, NI 38342-31X00. It also had the size marked as 40x56x8x13.5. Both are working better that the OE dealer supplied parts. Hope this helps someone else.
    Last edited by jmarkoa; 02-24-2020 at 06:26 PM. Reason: wrong part numbers

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmarkoa For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (02-26-2020),Eggman (02-24-2020),Fummins (02-24-2020),Top_Fuel (02-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarkoa View Post
    Parts interchange:

Mitsubishi 2702A072
    NOK AH23651
    SKF 15888
    Payen NJ190

and probably, many more!

I just replaced my seals. My old and new original Mitsubishi parts, 2702A072, had the NOK AH23651 printed on both of them. After putting in the new seals during a complete used transmission swap, both of the new dealer seals began leaking after driving for about ten minutes. I had to replace them with aftermarket seals, SKF 15888, mainly because the dealer was closed and I had to have it fixed that night. The SKF aftermarket seals are completely covered with rubber around the outside of the seal. The original dealer part made by NOK only has a very small ring of rubber on the outside edge. I suspect that was where the leaking was happening.

I picked up the two aftermarket seals from Napa, and interestingly enough, one of the boxes had a seal in it with a different wrapper, different manufacture, and different part number on it. The brand was Payen, it was labeled as a NJ190 for a Nissan. It was also labeled Corr, NI 38342-31X00. It also had the size marked as 40x56x8x13.5. Both are working better that the OE dealer supplied parts. Hope this helps someone else.
    Hello jmarkoa. Welcome to the forum, and thanks for such an informative first post. I hope you'll take a bit of time to tell us more about yourself, your Mirage, and how you found us.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkoa View Post
    Parts interchange:

Mitsubishi 2702A072
    NOK AH23651
    SKF 15888
    Payen NJ190

and probably, many more!

Thanks random 1 post and leave guy.

I guess I should have done a search here a few days ago. I replaced a lh cvt axle about a month ago and now the seal is leaking. Our system didn't show an skf seal that fit so ordered from the dealer again, part number 2702a072. It took a day to get it because they rushed it in otherwise would have taken a week or two.

I just looked up the part number on rockauto's website and came up with a national part # 710598. Now I gotta see if I can find that skf number 15888 on the shelf...

Edit: I found 1 on the shelf...Damnit. Now I know not to bother with the dealer next time I need a seal. Skf 15888 will work. Same dimensions. The Mitsu seal does seem better imo. It has 3 lips vs 2 on the skf part and the mitsu seal has a little grease applied already like the engine oil filters do.
    Last edited by Fummins; 09-02-2020 at 08:40 PM.
    Mirage videos:

I had to search for this thread again. I have a 15' on the lift with a leaky rh axle seal. We have none of the skf 15888 in stock. So far none available locally through our regular suppliers. There's one on the other side of the country.

I just checked rockauto and they only show 7 in stock. I haven't tried the dealer yet but they suck and never have any parts in stock. The last time we needed something from them it took almost two weeks to get a key for a 2017 mirage...(not my idea).
    Mirage videos:

I called the nearby Mitsu dealer and got told they have a seal in stock. I get there and they are stunned and say there was a system error and they have to order one in for tomorrow.

Edit: It's pointless complaining about how crappy the local dealer is.

Last edited by Fummins; 08-08-2022 at 06:26 PM.
    Mirage videos:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-08-2022)