Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Pan Plate (missing)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Oil Pan Plate (missing)

Hi Everybody,

I changed my oil yesterday and had to remove that plastic plate with all the "trim panel popper screws" or whatever you call those things (I cant stand them because I always break a few of them when taking it off)

I ordered a big bag of those a few months ago but i cant find it and it may take a few days for me to find it.

Do you think it is safe to drive the car for a few days without that plastic plate adhered to the underside of the car?

I did mny best to remove those screws without damaging them (I used 2 flathead screwdrivers) I guess I dont know the proper technique.

Are you supposed to pry from the "spike" in the middle or are you supposed to pry the "outer diameter ring".

I used the flathead screwdrivers to pry the spike out about a half an inch and then I pried the outer diameter ring to get the whole thing out.

Name:  how-to-remove-panel-clips-retainers-and-trim-rivets-60970_1.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  68.8 KB

Last edited by fc321; 12-07-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    My car doesn't even have that panel on it. I'm sure you're fine.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

fc321 (12-07-2018),Tyrelirwin (12-07-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Unless you're going off-road, shouldn't be a problem.

Might be a disruption in airflow to not have it there, that's all.

Maybe I just have small hands and like to contort myself, but I don't remember removing anything to change the oil on my car.
    Simplify and add lightness.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

fc321 (12-07-2018)

There is no need or benefit to pulling the shield unless you have massive arms or just like taking stuff apart because it's neat... But if you insist, buy a door panel clip removal tool Attachment 13263or just use a pair of side cuttersAttachment 13264 to pull the center up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    There is no need or benefit to pulling the shield unless you have massive arms or just like taking stuff apart because it's neat... But if you insist, buy a door panel clip removal tool Attachment 13263or just use a pair of side cuttersAttachment 13264 to pull the center up.
    I did not know you could use a side cutter pliers, thanks! That is a very smart idea. I hated the thought of spending $10 on a panel trim tool that I will basically almost never use and when I actually need to use it would never be able to find it in my messy house.

I actually managed to put the shield back on today and its missing only 3 screws. I probably should delete the thread....what happened is I was doing all this at dusk and then it turned night-time and I was working by flashlight but then today when I was doing everything in broad daylight I saw how the trim panel screws actually work and was able to figure it out.

Next oil change I am going to follow you guys's advice and try to take the oil filter on and off without removing the plastic shield. I definitely had to take it off during the FIRST historical oil change because it has been torqued on by Godzilla himself. But on this 2nd oil change that i just I was able to unscrew the filter just with my own hand (Which is a good thing because I have misplaced my oil filter wrench in this messy house of mine). I cant find SH1T in this squalor that I am living in.

Havent washed the dishes in a month. No girl in my house so its just me and the dog. Its a pig-stye

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I've changed my oil three times so far. I haven't removed the oil filter from the bottom yet, & I don't see myself ever removing the oil filter from the bottom. I know there is a cut out to slip you arm up in there from the bottom, but I prefer standing on my feet while removing the filter. It's not impossible to reach down & remove the oil filter from above. It eliminates any oil running down your hand/arm, too. What oil is lost from the filter just falls into the pan below, and not on the person removing it.

My 1990 Ford Festiva had an oil fliter that was easy to remove from the top while standing up. Ever since owning that car, I alway explore removing the filter from the top first. The newer Subaru vehicles makes it super simple to replace an oil filter from the top.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    No girl in my house so its just me and the dog. Its a pig-stye
    I have the same issue. When I can't find something, I have no to blame except the dog! I do, however, own & use the dishwasher. If the dishwasher broke down today, it would be replaced tomorrow!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I've changed my oil three times so far. I haven't removed the oil filter from the bottom yet, & I don't see myself ever removing the oil filter from the bottom. I know there is a cut out to slip you arm up in there from the bottom, but I prefer standing on my feet while removing the filter. It's not impossible to reach down & remove the oil filter from above. It eliminates any oil running down your hand/arm, too. What oil is lost from the filter just falls into the pan below, and not on the person removing it.

My 1990 Ford Festiva had an oil fliter that was easy to remove from the top while standing up. Ever since owning that car, I alway explore removing the filter from the top first. The newer Subaru vehicles makes it super simple to replace an oil filter from the top.
    Yeah, i was following a how-to guide on this same forum that said to remove the plastic shield on the bottom so that is why I had done it. My previous oil change was with a Wix filter and that was a "taller" filter than the one I just installed "Mopar" which looks like a re-branded Mobil 1.

So certainly with the shortie filters it will be easy as pie to remove it from above. That Wix filter is supposed to be the bees knees but I'm not going to buy another one of those unless i can find it on sale.

In other news I am doing some house-cleaning this weekend because re-reading my earlier post I came to the awareness that this is not a good way to live (In squalor) and i cant even have a girl over on a date with my house in such conditions so I am going to work this weekend on getting it cleaned up.

I actually had "fun" changing the oil, filter and rotating the tires manually with no impact wrench and no electronic tools.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Yeah, i was following a how-to guide on this same forum that said to remove the plastic shield on the bottom so that is why I had done it. My previous oil change was with a Wix filter and that was a "taller" filter than the one I just installed "Mopar" which looks like a re-branded Mobil 1.

So certainly with the shortie filters it will be easy as pie to remove it from above. That Wix filter is supposed to be the bees knees but I'm not going to buy another one of those unless i can find it on sale.

In other news I am doing some house-cleaning this weekend because re-reading my earlier post I came to the awareness that this is not a good way to live (In squalor) and i cant even have a girl over on a date with my house in such conditions so I am going to work this weekend on getting it cleaned up.

I actually had "fun" changing the oil, filter and rotating the tires manually with no impact wrench and no electronic tools.
    I was just sharing another approach to removing the oil filter. I don't like working under a car any more than I have too. If I had a better car lift, I may do it all from underneath. I just have your basic car jack and 4 jack stands.

I just lift the Mirage just enough to reach the oil drain plug (which I did switch over to Fumoto oil drain valve). 3-4" of lift seems to be enough room for me slide by big butt under enough to do that part. I've sort of learned to use two cheap plastic oil pans at the same time. While the oil pan is still draining below, I am removing the oil filter from above. I use the second oil pan to catch any oil that drips from the filter. I could get by with one oil pan, but it just saves me a little time to use two. A large oil pan may do this job better, too. By the time I removed/installed the new oil filter, the oil is drained out pretty good. Close the Fumoto valve & add 3 quarts of oil. Pretty easy! I typically start up the car right away when I am done. I check for leaks, and this refills the filter asap. As I am cleaning stuff up & putting things away, I let the car sit for a bit. Afterwards, I double check the oil level before considering the job done.

You really don't need any special tools to change oil. Since adding a Fumoto oil drain valve, I don't really need any tools to do an oil change. If an oil filter is tight, I do have a oil filter socket. I tend to snug up the oil filter a little tighter than necessary, but I am careful about not overdoing it, too. Thus, my time spent under the car is sliding two oil pans in place, opening the Fumoto valve, sliding two oil pans back out, & closing the Fumoto valve. My time spent on my back under the car is pretty short. Removing parts of the car to do this job is not something that interests me. When I did my first oil change I took one look from below at the Mirage oil filter, & I said to myself "Nope"! I just find it easier to remove it from the top, & I love vehicles that allow that.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-09-2018 at 01:26 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    That plastic shield is there mostly to prevent water and debris from splashing up into the engine compartment...particularly onto the crank and accessory pulleys.

It also cuts some wind resistance out from under the car, as has been mentioned. While it should be there, you can drive without it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-09-2018),fc321 (12-09-2018)