Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When was the last time you had a car without AC?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Believe it or not, I bought the blue one at a local wrecking yard.
    PS: adding to the chorus, that's amazing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (12-11-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    PS: adding to the chorus, that's amazing.
    Thanks! I was lucky to find it. The best part about this truck was that it had not been subjected to any 'backyard engineering' over the course of it's life. Nobody had hacked up the wiring harness, added an aftermarket CD player, messed around with the engine, disconnected any emissions equipment, replaced the carburetor, cut holes in anything, etc.

It was just the way Ford sent it off of the factory floor in 1978 save for an aftermarket second fuel tank and "Washington: The Evergreen State" mudflaps. It even had it's original 1978 date-coded spark plug wires! All I did to it was add a late 1970s aftermarket Sun tach and swap the factory AM mono radio for a factory AM/FM mono radio. That radio turned out to be pretty hard to find because for literally just a few dollars more back in '78 you could get AM/FM stereo, and most people did that instead. All of those '70s Ford shaft radios may look the same, but believe me they AREN'T. The truck also needed a new gas tank and fuel gauge sender from having sat too long. When I got it I also found the back-up lights didn't work, so I replaced the neutral safety switch (which contains the back-up light switch).

Another cool thing about this truck was that it came with factory variable interval wipers. Very handy for the Pacific Northwest!

The truck wasn't perfect, though. The paint had been resprayed in spots over the years, it leaked power steering fluid, and needed somewhat spendy and hard to find 16.5" heavy duty tires since it was a "Camper Special".

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, if we are not counting ones where the a/c didn't work, it would have been a 1991 Plymouth Colt (Mirage) 4 speed manual. No air, but not a bit of trouble, either. Hit a deer in it, and with that wedge front end the deer slid up the hood, windshield and over the back. Now THAT was aerodynamics!�� and before anyone asks, impact broke 2 legs of deer. Called cops and it was put down and given to local hunter. Car was repaired and kept on going until I sold it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-11-2018)

So I just checked, and you can still (theoretically) get a BUNCH of brand new, base model 2019 cars in Canada without A/C:

Mitsu Mirage ... (U.S. models all come with AC)
    Honda Fit & Civic ... (U.S. models all come with AC)
    Kia Rio,
    Hyundai Accent,
    Toyota Yaris & Corolla,
    Mazda3,
    Nissan Micra,
    Chevrolet Spark.

I say theoretically, because it's not easy to find some of these base model cars (especially the Hondas/Toyotas/Mazdas). They just exist so the manufacturer can legally advertise the base price, then up-sell people when they come in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-11-2018),Fummins (12-11-2018)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Brand New 1998 Hyundai Accent L OTD for $7,700.00 only option am/fm/cassette with 4 speakers. Great car zero issues.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DottandDolores For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-03-2019)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    nissan micra 9 years ago
    Last edited by Adam - UK; 01-04-2019 at 04:07 AM.

Wasn't the Micra c+c a convertible?

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Wasn't the Micra c+c a convertible?
    yes and it did ac supposed to say micra updated

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The last non convertible car I had that was built without air conditioning was a 2000 Neon. I get heat sickness so A/C is a must for me.

However, I had a 1991 Shadow convertible for a while that didn't have a/c from the factory. It was fine though because I only drove it when the roof was down.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...