Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New full moon wheel covers look great!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New full moon wheel covers look great!

I just received these full moon wheel covers bought on the 'Bay':
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-Set-of-4-Solid-Moon-Wheel-Covers-Snap-On-Hub-Caps-fit-R14-Tire-Steel-Rim/222848453516?epid=9015249766&hash=item33e2cd8b8c:g :HOEAAOSwCoBajFRn:rk:5f:0

First, I cleaned all oil, brake dust, etc from the wheels, particularly where the cover will "bite" the wheel. Then I scratched the wheels where the covers will "bite" with a screwdriver, because the paint is glossy smooth. Then I cleaned the wheel covers, particularly at the "teeth". Hope they stay put. Will not likely help mileage, as they weigh 28 oz compared to the original plastic at 14 oz. I lost one original and had to do something. Originals were scraped, too, so I figured I couldn't go too far wrong replacing them. I like the space age look! What do you think?
    Name:  MitsiWheelCov - Copy.jpg
Views: 4991
Size:  44.8 KB

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by azdonw; 12-08-2018 at 07:52 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azdonw For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-09-2018),foama (01-26-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    MPG will probably be a wash. You've added some weight, but also improve aero a little bit.

It's a neat look. Not sure if it's "modern" or "retro" at this point, but it's different. With the bulk of the car body's design, I think they'd look better if they were like 16 or 17". But, then you'd have to buy 16-17" steel wheels... super low profile tires... and even heavier moon caps! Would be expensive, and add a lot of weight. (but, people have done dumber things in the name of fashion)

Might even look better with just a taller tire. More sidewall. That would definitely be a "retro" look. But, for just a simple "change the hubcaps" process... pretty cool.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a set of the moon discs with my winter tires -- I figure it will keep salt away from the hubs a little bit, and it looks nicer than bare steelies.

They do make my silver car look bluish though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks! This is what I meant by "spaceage": https://inhabitat.com/aerodynamic-se...nt-207-5-mpge/
    Yeah, bigger wheels with low profile tires would look better!
    Last edited by azdonw; 12-08-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I like it, and think it looks cool.

If you take a look at the EcoModder wiki, the guys that have done testing there have seen an 2% to 5% increase in fuel economy by using these wheel covers. Not bad.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-09-2018),foama (01-26-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, Daox! Not counting on better gas mileage, because of the unsprung weight added by the wheel covers.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by azdonw View Post
    Thanks, Daox! Not counting on better gas mileage, because of the unsprung weight added by the wheel covers.
    I suppose the benefits improve if there is more high speed driving rather than stop-and-go.

I like them. Nice choice. Here's hoping they stay on better than your old ones.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I suppose the benefits improve if there is more high speed driving rather than stop-and-go.

I like them. Nice choice. Here's hoping they stay on better than your old ones.
    Thanks! I just got 51.4 mpg on my drive to church and back this morning (3.3 miles one way, city streets)! Best mpg ever! Don't really think I can blame the wheel covers, though. I try to coast when I can, like 900 feet down the road, right into the parking space, barely braking for the turn. But I typically get 44 mpg, 48 previous best.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by azdonw View Post
    I like the space age look! What do you think?

Very different, look a bit like the VW metal wheel covers back in the day. Not sure if those were on 12" or 13" tires so you're on the right path theme retro wise in my humble opinion. I would consider custom painting them

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Very different, look a bit like the VW metal wheel covers back in the day. Not sure if those were on 12" or 13" tires so you're on the right path theme retro wise in my humble opinion. I would consider custom painting them
    Yeah, but with the car shape, I think it looks more like this: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...DwatCYjSquPAM:
    Although, a bigger wheel would be needed to make the look.