Thread: TPMS Performance...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts

TPMS Performance...

I just wanted to throw a good word out here. It's normal to come to the forum to sort out difficulties. But in this case I want to give a positive experience.

So Tuesday it was very cold here. It still is. I think it was about 17°F and has been that or a couple degrees colder since Tuesday.

On Tuesday the TPMS light came on solid. Just from mammary I was thinking the light on solid meant a problem with the system, and blinking meant an actual low tire. So I looked in the owner's manual. I was wrong, solid means at least 1 tire low. I looked at the Enasaves and they looked OK. I stuck pressure gauge on them and the lowest showed about 28 psi, and the rest were hovering right at 30 psi or so. The compressor side of the garage was blocked off, so I decided just to stop by a local tire shop the next day and air them up.

And so it went. I aired them to 41 psi, and the light went out before I got out of the parking lot. The compressor display indicated 2 tires at 27 psi, and 2 tires at 28 psi. All 4 being consistent, I don't consider that damage from leak. They've just slowly leaked down and the cold temps contributed.

BUT ... I've had nothing but issues out of EVERY OTHER CAR I OWN that has TPMS. This mighty Mirage lit when it was supposed to, and went out appropriately. So, another win for the Mirage!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-18-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I just wanted to throw a good word out here. It's normal to come to the forum to sort out difficulties. But in this case I want to give a positive experience.

So Tuesday it was very cold here. It still is. I think it was about 17°F and has been that or a couple degrees colder since Tuesday.

On Tuesday the TPMS light came on solid. Just from mammary I was thinking the light on solid meant a problem with the system, and blinking meant an actual low tire. So I looked in the owner's manual. I was wrong, solid means at least 1 tire low. I looked at the Enasaves and they looked OK. I stuck pressure gauge on them and the lowest showed about 28 psi, and the rest were hovering right at 30 psi or so. The compressor side of the garage was blocked off, so I decided just to stop by a local tire shop the next day and air them up.

And so it went. I aired them to 41 psi, and the light went out before I got out of the parking lot. The compressor display indicated 2 tires at 27 psi, and 2 tires at 28 psi. All 4 being consistent, I don't consider that damage from leak. They've just slowly leaked down and the cold temps contributed.

BUT ... I've had nothing but issues out of EVERY OTHER CAR I OWN that has TPMS. This mighty Mirage lit when it was supposed to, and went out appropriately. So, another win for the Mirage!
    An extreme drop in temperature will surely do that. I've learned to live with TPMS. Having my own TPMS tool has been a good investment for me, because I run winter tires that have cloned sensors to my summer tire sensors.

So far I have cloned 4 sensors for a 2011 Forester, 2017 Mirage, & 2015 Impala with zero issues. I have never really experienced an issue with TPMS.

The sensors in my driver's education car (2015 Impala above) died within a few weeks of each other last year. Once replaced with new cloned sensors, all was good again. My local mechanic who takes care of our school cars was so impressed by my cheap little Autel (TS408) tool that he bought one himself. Like everything else, these have gone up in price some, but the free lifetime updates are wonderful (especially for a mechanic).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (01-27-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Buy the Autel tool and 4 sensors.
    Clone the ones on the car.

After spending like $110 dollars at Monro after have one of sensor die so it was too late to clone it and was happy to since I had an appoint at the dealer for almost double that. This was after going to like 3 other places that could not do it.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...highlight=tpms

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ken2400 For This Useful Post:

Mark (01-27-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ken2400 View Post
    Buy the Autel tool and 4 sensors.
    Clone the ones on the car.

After spending like $110 dollars at Monro after have one of sensor die so it was too late to clone it and was happy to since I had an appoint at the dealer for almost double that. This was after going to like 3 other places that could not do it.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...highlight=tpms
    Now that I own one, I like having my Autel TS408 tool. My 2011 Forester factory wheels (summer set currently sitting in the garage) still have their original sensors. I will test them before remounting them in the spring now. I haven't had any issues with the 8 Autel senors that I have cloned (winter tires) for my two vehicles. So far so good!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

ken2400 (01-28-2024),mohammad (01-27-2024)