Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Common Mirage problems? (Considering buying one.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwaltwright View Post
    Perfect, I'll have to look at dealers outside of my area then. I would prefer as new as possible.
    Where are you located on OR?

(blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As suggested, price a new one. Find out what they're going for. You can even fudge the number, it's not like they're going to check... and "the customer is always right."

I was right where you are about a year and a half ago. I had the option of buying a brand new 2017 for right at about $10,800 (plus tax, tag, title, and dealer fee). And there was a used 2015 with just under 30k miles available for something like $9k a couple hours away.

I emailed the dealer with the 2015 and told them straight up, I can get a brand new Mirage for $12,000 out the door. A 2-year-old car with 30k miles is worth $4,000 less than that TO ME. Work the numbers any way you need to, but get me a bottom line of $8k and I will buy this car, otherwise I'll go buy a new one. We went back and forth a few times, and I stuck to my guns, and eventually, they sold me the car for $6750 + TTT and all. I wrote a check for $8,250.

They'll play hardball if you make them. They know the resale on these cars is abysmal, and they know the demand for a 5-speed is even worse. The buyer who wants the oddball MIRAGE with the manual transmission is a hot commodity (when they have such a car taking up space on the lot). They want to sell you the car.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I will be looking at the 5 speed model. Also, this is a used 2017 with 44k miles, $8,900 from my local dealer. I'll see what I can actually get it for. I want a car like this to save money for my fun cars haha.
    A highly discounted Mirage ES (manual) is a great value! New 2017 Mirage ES (manual) were selling for $9500 at times last year. If you qualified for a military discount or current Mitsubishi owner, you could have bought these cars for even less. I paid $9299, which came out to $10,153.73 out-the-door (tax, title, license, new plates, etc...) for a new 2017 Mirage ES (manual) with added Bluetooth & useless center armrest. I did not qualified for any of the special discounts, and I still got this new car at that price. Plus, the dealer delivered the car to my home (200 miles) for free, & they added their dealer unlimited mileage powertrain warranty, too.

Thus, $8900 for a used 2017 with 44,000 miles is an ok deal, but may not be a spectacular one. If the car you are listing is an SE model, that would give it some added perks. In 2017, you could buy a manual in the ES or SE trim levels. Since 2018, only the ES can be had with a manual.

Like mentioned already - new Mirages come with awesome bumper-to-bumper & power train warranties. Plus, you get 5 years/unlimited mileage roadside assistance.

Keep in mind (regarding base models) -

2017 were the new updated models of the Mirage.

2018 added back up cameras to all models.

2019 added 6-way adjustable driver's seat & cruise control.

Thus, a slight bump in price is justified. At times, new 2018 Mirage ES (manual) have been @ $9,999. That price is from an up front dealership (no hidden extra costs), & anyone could buy that car at that price. If you qualified for some extra discounts, you may even do better. It pays to shop around. Sadly, not all Mitsubishi dealership are the same.

I bought my Mirage in October of 2017, & I am near 19,000 miles. I have no regrets with this purchase. I would have considered a used 2017 Mirage, but they didn't exist when I bought mine. If I could get a new Mirage for only a $1500-2000 more than a used one, I surely wouldn't rule out a new one.

I hear some people complain about the depreciation of these cars. I plan on driving my Mirage for 10 years or so. It can't depreciate more than what I paid for it in that time. I really like my Mirage. Having said that, there isn't anything that you could add to a Mirage that would make me pay more than $10,000 to $12,000 for one.

This car is affordable, reliable, & economical. If you get a good deal on one, you will appreciate this little car!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Where are you located on OR?
    I'm in Keizer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I'm in Keizer.
    Alan Webb Mitsubishi in Vancouver, WA has a few leftover '17 G4s with manuals for $10,998. Probably a couple hour drive for you, but it might be worth it.

https://www.alanwebbmitsubishi.com/V...-WA/3139472693

Others have touched on the Mirage's very few inherent mechanical problems, so I won't go into those again. I bought my '15 new with 14 miles on the clock in December of 2014, and today at 108,000 all I can complain about is a fuel gauge that is getting a little wonky. Sometimes it will say I have 2-3 gallons left...as the engine is sputtering to a stop.

One thing that has also been mentioned that I will repeat is the resale value on these. It is awful. New econoboxes don't sell worth a damn today...and used ones are even worse. Count on the car being worth about 70% of what you paid for it as soon as you drive it off the lot, and trade-in value will be even worse than that. It is important to remember, however, that while losing 30% of the car's value right away is terrible, that 30% only amounts to $3,000-$5,000 on a car this inexpensive. That $60,000 F250 that depreciates 20% on Day One costs its owner $12,000...basically the entire cost of a Mirage! The point is that you don't want to buy this car today and find you can't live with it a year or two from now. If you try to sell it or trade it you will take a bath, and other owners have lamented this fact here on this forum.

I don't regret buying mine for a second. I would suggest going new, because as has been mentioned there are deals to be had on leftover cars for only a little more money than a lightly used Mirage with 30-40k. Perfect time to buy a new one, as the '19s are showing up on trucks, the '18s need to go, and even some '17s are still choking up the lot.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Alan Webb Mitsubishi in Vancouver, WA has a few leftover '17 G4s with manuals for $10,998. Probably a couple hour drive for you, but it might be worth it.
    They also have a few '18 hatches with manuals for about the same money. A lot of the cars on this dealer's site which are listed as CVTs are actually manuals.

https://www.alanwebbmitsubishi.com/V...-WA/3159714093

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The thing is that a new one costs me more money in the long run. Something with 40k miles has had any bugs worked out under warranty. This car purely will exist to save me money while I reconstruct my financial situation. I'll actually be trading a Subaru BRZ I owe on in on the mirage. $40 per fill up per week plus $330 a month plus $270 a month insurance adds up quick.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    The thing is that a new one costs me more money in the long run. Something with 40k miles has had any bugs worked out under warranty.
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. In example, check the tires - the Mirage is sold in the US market with Dunlop Enasaves. If they have been replaced (likely) or have mismatched sets front & rear, it could indicate an alignment problem.

This car purely will exist to save me money while I reconstruct my financial situation. I'll actually be trading a Subaru BRZ I owe on in on the mirage. $40 per fill up per week plus $330 a month plus $270 a month insurance adds up quick.
    Sometimes the best car to have is what you got. Refinancing into something like a Mirage might make matters worse, as you could wind up with just as high payments but not much equity to show for it.

Be careful when shopping and pay attention to overall costs, not just monthly payments. This is why I drove cheap used clunkers for years.

Best wishes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hello, new to the forum. Looking at buying one of these cars. Owners seem to love them, "pro" reviewers hate them. The utilitarian and no frills aspect appeals to me, as well as the fuel economy. However, I dont notice much being actually "wrong" with the car, except the rear axle alignment glitch. Am I mistaken in thinking this car has no apparent faults?
    I paid $12,400 Canadian + taxes and delivery, for my then brand-new 2014 Mirage ES base 5 speed. Apart from some dash rattles, the car is pretty frugal gas wise and reliable mechanics wise, and that's what most people are looking for in a car like this.
    What's "wrong" with this car is it is too small on the big US type freeways after 5 years almost of owning it, and it gets stuck in the winter... city driving is ok the car is nimble, car could use a turbo entering heavy traffic or freeway entrances. It's fun to drive tho and handles well and gocarty, if a bit aloof at first. You can tell Mitsu used 90s parts in the car I'm not joking.. so it's imported yet might have parts made in Illinois
    Last edited by dspace9; 12-14-2018 at 08:54 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    The thing is that a new one costs me more money in the long run. Something with 40k miles has had any bugs worked out under warranty. This car purely will exist to save me money while I reconstruct my financial situation. I'll actually be trading a Subaru BRZ I owe on in on the mirage. $40 per fill up per week plus $330 a month plus $270 a month insurance adds up quick.
    Everyone's situation is different, & forum members are sharing some good advice. If this car is just something to get you through a couple years, used is the way to go. If someone is planning to drive a new one until the wheels fall off, a discounted new one is a great deal.

Just don't evaluate this car by its window sticker. A discounted ES manual is a $10,000 to $11,000 car. If you can get a low mileage 2017, for $7000 or less I feel that would be a great deal, too. Since they are reliable, warranty shouldn't be the driving force to pay more.

Good luck! Keep us posted.