Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Common Mirage problems? (Considering buying one.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you really want to save bucks, look for a 2014-15 with around 100k miles or less and a couple dents and dings. Those cars are going for around $4k and they're still as reliable as the sun.

Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-28-2019)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Manual vs CVT fuel economy

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Consider renting one for a day or two if you can...especially if you are considering a Mirage with a CVT instead of a 5-speed. Despite the published numbers, manual transmission Mirages can get better fuel economy than CVT-equipped models when driven conservatively.

This isn't really a problem...but it is a consideration when shopping for a Mirage...

Resale value of the Mirage isn't good. So if you buy a new one, do your homework and stack all the rebates and incentives that you possibly can. This is not a car that should be purchased anywhere near MSRP. Some dealers discount more than others, so shop around and buy out of your area if you have to.
    There is no significant difference in fuel consumption in the numbers published by owners between CVT and manual in my country.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Other than the wheel alignment problems (rear AND front!!) I have not heard of any problems with the car at all. The Jatco CVT has a bad reputation for dureability. I don't know if this is still an issue.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    hi all,

Just joined and interested in potentially getting a new Mirage base manual model. I've had an 07 Yaris which is solid but aging I've considered purchasing a new one but the price premium is bit much.

Like many I just need a basic appliance A2B commuter and I'm quite tempted by the positive ownership and reliability many have experienced.

I am curious about the alignment issues that seems to be a common problem. Is it still an issue with later year models? Is this something that needs to be replaced or needs frequent alignments?

Also how well does the body/sheet metal hold up to northern winters (snow/salt roads) ?

Appreciate it!
    Last edited by maxevans; 05-27-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maxevans View Post

Also how well does the body/sheet metal hold up to northern winters (snow/salt roads) ?

Appreciate it!
    I would get your Mirage professionally uncoated, I use Krown rust control. My Mirage has been oil sprayed for my 5+ years of ownership, so it's in good shape underneath and the body. But I have seen RVR's around here in Ontario, not very old, bubbling rust on the hatch.

So save yourself money in the long run and get your Mirage oil sprayed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-27-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxevans View Post
    I am curious about the alignment issues that seems to be a common problem.
    It's common enough that you need to be aware of it before you buy one.

Is it still an issue with later year models?
    Yes. Mitsubishi has not corrected the problem and dealers sure as heck are not checking the alignments on new cars they are selling. But they probably should be.

Your main concern should be with the alignment of the REAR axle. If it's out of spec, it can wipe out the rear tires in 10,000 miles and make the car annoying to drive because it will need constant steering wheel correction to keep the car going in the direction you want. You can read this thread in 5 minutes and it will tell you everything you need to know: Rear Alignment Problem FAQ
    Let us know if you have any questions after reading that.

Also how well does the body/sheet metal hold up to northern winters (snow/salt roads)?
    Like dspace9 suggested...consider Krown rustproofing. There aren't a lot of dealers in the US, but they are expanding. I live in Ohio and found a dealer within 2 hours. It's a great product. If you're cheap you can do it yourself...but it's well worth the $150 my dealer charges.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-27-2019)

The one car we just picked up was undercoated. It's just an oily coating that seems to collect and hold dirt, gravel and road salt. Seems like it'd be way better off if left alone and just wash it off once in a while. I haven't seen any rust under these cars yet, most of the bottom part of the body is covered in plastic, the one place I've been expecting to see rust is in front of the back wheels where dirt gets trapped but most people seem to be good about washing that spot out.
    The rustiest car's I've seen out here were undercoated at one time. They rusted out from behind the coating. It might just be that they were so rusty cause they were from Ontario or Quebec? I've seen a lot that were driven here then sold for scrap cause they won't pass an out of province inspection here.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Fummins - there's a difference between an oil or fluid film based undercoating (good, but as with all things depends on the technician for comprehensive coverage) and a barrier type undercoating which can trap water and promote rust (bad!).

My winter beater 2000 Metro is only still alive because it was oil sprayed regularly from the beginning. Ironically, the worst rust spots on it started underneath the factory rubberized undercoating.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    It is worth noting that rust doesn't seem to be a huge issue on these cars. If they were prone to quickly rusting out in certain places, we'd certainly know about it by now.

Mitsubishi is pretty confident in their ability to resist rust, as new Mirages have a 7 year, 100,000 mile anti-corrosion warranty. Best in the business!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I could be wrong but it's my understanding that a 7 year corrosion warranty is a federal requirement. Mileage might have no bearing on the matter.

Still, it's good to have.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)