Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Common Mirage problems? (Considering buying one.)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Oregon
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    7
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Common Mirage problems? (Considering buying one.)

    Hello, new to the forum. Looking at buying one of these cars. Owners seem to love them, "pro" reviewers hate them. The utilitarian and no frills aspect appeals to me, as well as the fuel economy. However, I dont notice much being actually "wrong" with the car, except the rear axle alignment glitch. Am I mistaken in thinking this car has no apparent faults?



  2. The Following User Says Thank You to jwaltwright For This Useful Post:

    dspace9 (12-14-2018)

  3. #2
    Administrator Daox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Germantown, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    4,678
    Thanks
    2,596
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 884 Posts
    You're pretty much right. I think the rear axle alignment is the largest issue to look for.

    There are some lesser prevalent issues as well. I think some Mirages had issues with the a/c compressor failing. I think most of them were 2014s, and maybe 2015s. I haven't heard of any of the newer ones failing. There are also some who have had issues with their heater core heating the cabin unevenly. Again, this seems to be older vehicles as well.

    Overall, these cars are really reliable.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

    Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.6 mpg (Imp)


  4. #3
    Still Plays With Cars Loren's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    697
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked 509 Times in 301 Posts
    The rear axle is a big one, but even most people who have that problem... it's not a huge deal, just causes accelerated rear tire wear.

    I think the CVT requires some maintenance that you don't want to ignore.

    The clutch disk in the manual trans is a weak point for those who drive aggressively. The springs are weak, so don't hold up to heavy abuse. For normal commuters, this shouldn't be a problem.

    Some of us have a manual trans that is finicky going into reverse. I'm sure it's just a shift cable adjustment, but I've not looked into it yet.

    Aside from the usual "cheap lightweight car" stuff, it's pretty darned reliable! Lots of cheap plastic throughout. The sheet metal is thin and very easy to dent.

    It does require that you accept a "relaxed" pace of acceleration, which some people (mostly those car reviewers that spend too much time driving 400 hp cars that cost 6x as much) can't handle. It also requires that you accept the fact that 165 width eco tires are not the grippiest. In spite of the ABS, traction control and stability control, you CAN overload the tires and get yourself into trouble. Stopping distances on the factory tires are adequate, but not great.

    But, yeah... from a reliability perspective, the car is fantastic!
    Simplify and add lightness.

  5. #4
    Senior Member Top_Fuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,744
    Thanks
    955
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 616 Posts
    Consider renting one for a day or two if you can...especially if you are considering a Mirage with a CVT instead of a 5-speed. Despite the published numbers, manual transmission Mirages can get better fuel economy than CVT-equipped models when driven conservatively.


    This isn't really a problem...but it is a consideration when shopping for a Mirage...

    Resale value of the Mirage isn't good. So if you buy a new one, do your homework and stack all the rebates and incentives that you possibly can. This is not a car that should be purchased anywhere near MSRP. Some dealers discount more than others, so shop around and buy out of your area if you have to.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 51.3 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.7 mpg (Imp)


  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Oregon
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    7
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Consider renting one for a day or two if you can...especially if you are considering a Mirage with a CVT instead of a 5-speed. Despite the published numbers, manual transmission Mirages can get better fuel economy than CVT-equipped models when driven conservatively.


    This isn't really a problem...but it is a consideration when shopping for a Mirage...

    Resale value of the Mirage isn't good. So if you buy a new one, do your homework and stack all the rebates and incentives that you possibly can. This is not a car that should be purchased anywhere near MSRP. Some dealers discount more than others, so shop around and buy out of your area if you have to.
    I will be looking at the 5 speed model. Also, this is a used 2017 with 44k miles, $8,900 from my local dealer. I'll see what I can actually get it for. I want a car like this to save money for my fun cars haha.

  7. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Oregon
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    7
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Also, does the Mitsubishi warranty transfer to the second owner?

  8. #7
    Senior Member Top_Fuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,744
    Thanks
    955
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwaltwright View Post
    Also, does the Mitsubishi warranty transfer to the second owner?
    The bumper-to-bumper warranty does. The 10 year powertrain warranty does not. Normally that would concern me...but not with a 5-speed Mirage. I don't think we've had anyone with a single powertrain failure (that wasn't self-induced...lol).

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 51.3 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.7 mpg (Imp)


  9. #8
    Senior Member Top_Fuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,744
    Thanks
    955
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwaltwright View Post
    ...this is a used 2017 with 44k miles, $8,900 from my local dealer. I'll see what I can actually get it for.
    You might be able to get a new Mirage for not much more than that. So shop around aggressively for a new one and see what you can find. Even a base model Mirage has almost every option you'd ever need in a daily driver. The 2019 base even comes with cruise control.

    I want a car like this to save money for my fun cars haha.
    Understood. I drive one of these daily to fund the Z06 or Viper that will be in my garage down the road.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 05-27-2019 at 07:13 PM.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 51.3 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.7 mpg (Imp)


  10. #9
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,398
    Thanks
    1,981
    Thanked 885 Times in 635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwaltwright View Post
    Also, does the Mitsubishi warranty transfer to the second owner?
    Only the 5 yr 60000 mile warranty. But not the 10 yr 100000 mile powertrain warranty. But the powertrain is covered under the 5yr 60k, you just won't have any warranty past that point. If you are looking for a 5 speed there are some dealers advertising below $10k for a new one. With the 2019's arriving there will probably will be some pretty good deals out there and if you're financing loan % for new cars are often lower than used so if you plan on keeping it for awhile the payment on a new one may not be much difference than financing a used one. Quite a few Oregonians on the forum here. The dealer in Kennewick WA, Leskovar Mitsubishi lists some 2018 Mirage G4's for $10998
    Last edited by inuvik; 12-13-2018 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Added some info

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.6 mpg (US) ... 17.3 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.8 mpg (Imp)


  11. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Oregon
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    7
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Only the 5 yr 60000 mile warranty. But not the 10 yr 100000 mile powertrain warranty. But the powertrain is covered under the 5yr 60k, you just won't have any warranty past that point. If you are looking for a 5 speed there are some dealers advertising below $10k for a new one. With the 2019's arriving there will probably will be some pretty good deals out there and if you're financing loan % for new cars are often lower than used so if you plan on keeping it for awhile the payment on a new one may not be much difference than financing a used one. Quite a few Oregonians on the forum here. The dealer in Kennewick WA, Leskovar Mitsubishi lists some 2018 Mirage G4's for $10998

    Perfect, I'll have to look at dealers outside of my area then. I would prefer as new as possible.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •