Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CarMD reliability & repair cost report: Mitsubishi & Mirage do well

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    The only problem I ever had was the airbag light on the passenger side but after I brought the vehicle to the Dealer for the airbag-software recall I never saw the light again after that.
    My Mirage likewise pretty reliable the past 5 years of ownership. I had that same airbag recall, and one or two others I forget the details--all free, dealer-covered. Minor quips starter is funky and the odd rattle... Canadian winter what can you expect? Car is oiled yearly by krown

Mirage's motor is strong and has a good tone at 100,000 km basic maintenance and away I go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-15-2018)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    CarMD does an annual report based on reliability and repair costs related to problems that trigger a "check engine light" (CEL).

Of 100 vehicles ranked from best (lowest) to worst (highest) repair costs for CEL issues, the Mirage sits at #5:

Attachment 13320

And the brands least likely to have a CEL come on:

Attachment 13321

For this data...

More info: https://www.carmd.com/wp/vehicle-hea...icle-rankings/
    I wanna believe this list, but the fact Nissan is on there with all their CVT issues makes it suspect to me. Maybe its averages considering they all the way back to 96, when they had reg automatics.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I wanna believe this list, but the fact Nissan is on there with all their CVT issues makes it suspect to me. Maybe its averages considering they all the way back to 96, when they had reg automatics.
    Or maybe the data is correct and you're overthinking things, causing yourself unnecessary worry and anxiety.

Have you had any problems yet Dirk?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Or maybe the data is correct and you're overthinking things, causing yourself unnecessary worry and anxiety.

Have you had any problems yet Dirk?
    Nope not yet thank god lol. I did however chat with someone at a Walmart parking lot this morning who drove a beat up 2015 Mirage CVT with 150k miles on it. I asked her if she had done the CVT fluid changes and she asked me what a CVT was. LOL!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Nope not yet thank god lol. I did however chat with someone at a Walmart parking lot this morning who drove a beat up 2015 Mirage CVT with 150k miles on it. I asked her if she had done the CVT fluid changes and she asked me what a CVT was. LOL!
    She may have bought it used? If so, past maintenance may be a guess anyways. Doesn't appear like she'll be on top of things getting done in the future. Making some assumptions, however.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    She may have bought it used? If so, past maintenance may be a guess anyways. Doesn't appear like she'll be on top of things getting done in the future. Making some assumptions, however.
    She bought it used @ 20k miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    She bought it used @ 20k miles.
    If that's the case & she's neglected CVT maintenance, her Mirage has done quite well.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Looking at this rating here again, I think I might go Hyundai product for my next vehicle. I might keep my Mirage as an eventual collector's car and keepsake. But if I want to get a bigger car, maybe even automatic transmission - gasp - then the Hyundai's both cheapest to repair, and the 3rd ranked for quality. They also sell a true 3 petal manual transmission (for now).

The two top ones, Toyota and Acura, are both more money than a Hyundai, so all things considered the best economical choice.

I had a Hyundai rental recently and their cars are smooth, though I think interior plastic rattles are endemic in some Korean and Japanese Brands, Hyundai and Mitsubishi come to mind for me from personal experience. Considering all the rental cars I have driven recently.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I had a Hyundai rental recently and their cars are smooth, though I think interior plastic rattles are endemic in some Korean and Japanese Brands, Hyundai and Mitsubishi come to mind for me from personal experience. Considering all the rental cars I have driven recently.
    Speaking purely anecdotally, I've had three Kias. My 2006 Spectra5 (Korean built) had a minor rattle from the instrument panel from early on, but no other rattles developed over 13 years. My 2016 Soul (Korean built) has no rattles after 4 years. And my 2019 Rio S (Mexican built) is rattle free after 1 week, thankfully. ;-)

BTW, the current Accent SE apparently has an excellent manual transmission. I haven't personally test driven one, but there are multiple in-depth reviews out there praising it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mainertodd For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-20-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
    Speaking purely anecdotally, I've had three Kias. My 2006 Spectra5 (Korean built) had a minor rattle from the instrument panel from early on, but no other rattles developed over 13 years. My 2016 Soul (Korean built) has no rattles after 4 years. And my 2019 Rio S (Mexican built) is rattle free after 1 week, thankfully. ;-)

BTW, the current Accent SE apparently has an excellent manual transmission. I haven't personally test driven one, but there are multiple in-depth reviews out there praising it.
    mainertodd sorry for the delay. How do you like your new Rio?