Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: U.S. 2019 Mirage Review - The Car Connection (brutal!)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JMVegas View Post
    I have been through the factory fancy color trouble before and having to have the whole car painted to fix a dent and a scratch. Went crazy paint before too, 15,000.00 for a House of Color Black Cherry paint on a 50 Merc 2 door
    The Mirage comes in like 8 colours. Do what I did, circle the colour you want on the brochure with a pen, and give the brochure to the salesperson saying "I want that one."

Unfortunately, it's in the salesperson's interest to sell you a vehicle they have in stock.. hence why they are always fully-loaded models on the showroom floor. Don't mean you have to though. Order whatever you want. It's a new car be picky.

In my case it took a long 3 weeks for my base-model, 1 option Mirage to arrive---1 option being Pearlescent Thunder Grey painted Mirage ($160 extra, ballparking the figure).

Just think, no matter what, your Mirage is cheaper than your Merc's paint job

Last edited by dspace9; 12-16-2018 at 03:14 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Aron View Post
    I think these reviews are kinda like opinions.
    Only problem is they seem very contagious.
    Everyone I talked to about a mirage quickly looked them up on their smartphones and had very preconceived notions about the car.
    How small, how bad, all off a couple of these reviews.
    As soon as I bought it people quickly looked and judged it the same way.
    But any who have ridden in it or just sat in it quickly have changed there tune.
    It quickly became you paid what for that!!!
    It get what gas mileage!!!
    It comes with what warranty!!!!
    You mean I could have bought 2 of these for the price of my used.....
    They still pick on the tires.. lol
    Then I show them the picture of Lauren holding his engine and they'll them that's how you change the oil. Lol
    I love my G4. I have a 10 year old and hope they still make these in 6 years..
    That way he can drive mine, still under warranty and I can get a new one. Insert evil menical laugh here....

On the color note.. most dealerships can get any color you want for a little extra.
    For me I kinda liked the blue..
    love the dark grey but blends in with roads and people don't see you.
    White is the same in winter around here but people are a little more cautious in winter.
    Was not in love with the wine in person, and red was the only color in stock.. 5speed that is.
    dealer would get any color but would have cost me about 450 and no fog lamps.
    I liked the red and the fog lamps.. small car.. I wanted visibility..
    like I tell people the mirage fits perfectly in my fleet.. I've got several bikes with smaller engines and several bikes with bigger.
    I can honestly say that I almost overlooked the Mirage, because of what I label the "auto critic snobs". Every vehicle has its shortcomings. A Mirage isn't going to tow your boat to the lake very well. Likewise, a Ford F150 isn't going to get 50 mpg either. In all honesty, the Mirage does some things quite well. I would even say they are beating the competition at it (in the U.S. market at least). I do think some the appeal of the Mirage is lost in the marketing of this car. It's MSRP is listed to high, & Mitsubishi dealerships seem to have a lot of freedom to do whatever. I found it very difficult to compare apples to apples when shopping for this car, & that was a huge turn off for me.

It took a little effort on my part to figure out I could get this car brand new for under $10,000. I shouldn't have had to work that hard to figure that out. My experience with my local Mitsubishi dealership was by far the worst car shopping experience I have ever had with any brand. If I hadn't explored other Mitsubishi dealerships, I would have never bought a Mirage. A person can get a brand new car that is reliable, very economical, & comes with 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, 10-year/100,000 mile power train warranty, & 5-years/unlimited miles roadside assistance for $10,000-12,000 (when various discounts are all added up). Why is this a secret? If someone was just randomly researching various cars, it would be easy to overlook this one.

My parents have told some of their friends that I bought a brand new car for under $10,000, & these friends don't believe them. I paid slightly less than 66% window sticker for a Mirage. I didn't haggle on price at all. I simply found an honest dealership.

I agree with your thoughts on colors. The appeal of this car to me is the little 3-cylinder 1.2L engine. It's fun to drive with a 5 speed manual!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-17-2018),inuvik (12-16-2018),MetroMPG (12-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, mark
    The only reason I even heard about this car is because it was on a billboard. Your choice $9,998.. mirage or mirage G4
    I looked at several other brands because of poor reviews before even driving to see one. Dealer is an hour away.
    Made the trip too look, compared value, thought a lot...
    If I had looked at Mitsubishi web site and gone off msrp price range..
    I doubt I would have ever looked at one...
    Should lower msrp.. and get rid of discounts
    They should advertise as "good cheep reliable car starting at under 10,000..."
    That would get a ton more people looking.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Aron For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-17-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I thought long and hard what colour for my Mirage once I was approved for financing... I went with the optional dark grey, my only option on the car... and it looks great.

Yes otherwise the guys at work give me a hard time ab my car....about the tires especially.., but they don't laugh at the fuel economy I get lol. Yet moral of the story they all love the colour my word, even if not the car---such a dark pearl grey looks exotic..looks at times black/grey even purple, depends on the light, reflective like a mirror too

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    A small turbo version with a 6-speed manual would be a blast. Perhaps 125 horse power? Bigger sway bars and quicker steering would change the personality of the car. I think it would be fun.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 3banger For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3banger View Post
    A small turbo version with a 6-speed manual would be a blast. Perhaps 125 horse power? Bigger sway bars and quicker steering would change the personality of the car. I think it would be fun.
    I would rather see the Mirage stay affordable, reliable, and economical. Sacrifice any of those three traits, & I would have never bought one.

Someone else probably already makes a 125 hp car that is a blast to drive. Not sure anyone else is focusing on a cheap little car that's reliable & gets 40-50 mpg with simple basic technology. If I wanted a car that's a blast to drive, I would have probably bought a Mazda Miata. I think the 78 hp Mirage with a manual is a hoot to drive as is!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-21-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3banger View Post
    Ever seen the Mirage R5? It's got a mini Evo turbo motor, 1.5 L displacement I believe, maybe it's the same engine as in the new Eclipse cross. The R5 races in WRC just search it on youtube, sounds like a jet, but most of the mechanicals are the same as your everyday Mirage we all got like the 1.0 or 1.2 in NA

Mitsu should bring the R5 on the road legally for 2019, that thing'd smoke everything in town, except maybe that Golf with the W12 in the trunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTOtLkxW1s4

<---that's the Mirage R5 going up a steep hill pretty cool
    Last edited by dspace9; 12-21-2018 at 06:59 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think these reviews are kinda like opinions.
    Only problem is they seem very contagious.
    Everyone I talked to about a mirage quickly looked them up on their smartphones and had very preconceived notions about the car.
    How small, how bad, all off a couple of these reviews.
    As soon as I bought it people quickly looked and judged it the same way.
    But any who have ridden in it or just sat in it quickly have changed there tune.
    It quickly became you paid what for that!!!
    You mean I could have bought 2 of these for the price of my used.....
    They still pick on the tires.. lol
    Then I show them the picture of Lauren holding his engine and they'll them that's how you change the oil. Lol
    I love my G4. I have a 10 year old and hope they still make these in 6 years..
    That way he can drive mine, still under warranty and I can get a new one. Insert evil menical laugh here....

On the color note.. most dealerships can get any color you want for a little extra.
    For me I kinda liked the blue..
    White is the same in winter around here but people are a little more cautious in winter.
    Was not in love with the wine in person, and red was the only color in stock.. 5speed that is.
    dealer would get any color but would have cost me about 450 and no fog lamps.
    I liked the red and the fog lamps.. small car.. I wanted visibility..
    like I tell people the mirage fits perfectly in my fleet.. I've got several bikes with smaller engines and several bikes with bigger.
    Where is the pic of someone holding the engine lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  IMG_0708.JPG
Views: 763
Size:  85.9 KB
    This is not my picture. It was posted by a fellow member, weighing his engine.
    I absolutely love this pic...
    all I can think of is the Honda lawn mower engines you change the oil by dumping it out the fill spout..
    I don't want to mess with the dude holding his engine to weigh it lol..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Aron For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-27-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Where is the pic of someone holding the engine lol
    Post #26 of "Engine Removal Tips"

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...val-Tips/page3

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-27-2018)