Thread: Mystery bolt on upper transmission

Thoraxe the Impaler LetItMarinate's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mystery bolt on upper transmission

I'm changing out my manual transmission fluid and I mistakenly took this bolt as the fill. After one turn i could tell it didn't feel right. Anyone know what this bolt is or what it does? Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Shake and bake baby

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Which bolt are you talking about? I see several.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Which bolt are you talking about? I see several.
    Sorry the one with the yellow and purple markers on it. The picture came out sideways,if you turn you screen to the right that's the view from above .
    Shake and bake baby

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The service manual refers to that "bolt" as the rock ball assembly. It appears to be associated with the shifter control mechanism in the transmission. It is only mentioned in passing and shows removing it when the control mechanism is pulled out of the top of the transmission. The detail in the drawing is poor but it looks to me like it might be like one of those hollow bolts that has a ball bearing in the tip with a spring inside pushing against the ball bearing. If it is that then it looks like it is positioned to push against the shift mechanism to possibly keep it centered. It says it should be tightened to 27 ft-lb. I hope that helps some.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-17-2018),LetItMarinate (12-17-2018),Loren (12-17-2018),Top_Fuel (12-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I would agree with Dale. I've disassembled a few transmissions to do bearings/seals. If its not holding anything to the trans, its likely a ball detent for the shifter mechanism.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

LetItMarinate (12-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do any of you think by loosening it a smidge that it'll help my shifter glide into gear better? Here's the deal since day 1 whenever I shift into a gear it's usually accompanied by a slight but noticeable pop in the shifter but once your in the gear you can go in and out of that same gear like butter. The transmission doesn't grind either. I've adjusted the clutch cable a million times at every concievable height and it seems to help but then it comes right back. If it matters after the break in I changed to redline 75w-80 and noticed no change unlike what I've seen on alot of other threads. Any input is appreciated. ��

I have also taken it to the stealership but they claim it is my after market shifter. When I take the extended shifter off its still the same
    Last edited by LetItMarinate; 12-17-2018 at 05:40 PM.
    Shake and bake baby

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LetItMarinate View Post
    Do any of you think by loosening it a smidge that it'll help my shifter glide into gear better?
    No. Don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by LetItMarinate View Post
    Here's the deal since day 1 whenever I shift into a gear it's usually accompanied by a slight but noticeable pop in the shifter but once your in the gear you can go in and out of that same gear like butter. The transmission doesn't grind either. I've adjusted the clutch cable a million times at every concievable height and it seems to help but then it comes right back. If it matters after the break in I changed to redline 75w-80 and noticed no change unlike what I've seen on alot of other threads. Any input is appreciated. ��

I have also taken it to the stealership but they claim it is my after market shifter. When I take the extended shifter off its still the same
    There have been reports of clutch disc damper spring failure. I'm not sure if this would explain your symptoms though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

LetItMarinate (12-18-2018)