Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camshaft replacement/swap: Does the engine need to be dropped?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    There are a lot of little things they could do to account for a half point difference in compression. Bore and stroke are the obvious, but even if those are the same, a slight change in piston top design, difference in head gasket thickness, combustion chamber shape, etc.

Wouldn't be too hard to look up part numbers if you really wanted to know which parts are the same. But, we're straying from the topic at hand.
    True that

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    By the looks of it seems like may be able to get it done without dropping the engine. Just the TOP cover and figure out access to the tensioner. I have ordered M’s Racing cam shaft.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fit View Post
    By the looks of it seems like may be able to get it done without dropping the engine. Just the TOP cover and figure out access to the tensioner. I have ordered M’s Racing cam shaft.
    Nice. You'll have to make a post of the installation. Are you able to post a video of the work?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Nice. You'll have to make a post of the installation. Are you able to post a video of the work?
    Good idea about the video.. I definitely can do a video of it

Now is to gather consumables for the swap and find out what I need for access.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fit View Post
    I studied both the cams and the process about a year ago. I also believe it can be done without pulling the engine. It appears as though it is all about clearance and access, to remove/install the cams. The key bit being the tensioner. Screw that up, and you WILL be pulling that engine.

But i'm a newb and not fully confident I could pull it off, or I would have ordered them last year. If you can do it, with a nice little DIY...I think I may pull the trigger myself. Good Luck, Fit!