Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you get a used EV with a net cost of less than US $2500?

True! On my automotive budget, I could have a car for every month of the year, and still have $24,000 left over to fuel them all!!

None of my friends are willing/able to drive $1000 cars, though.

All my friends/acquaintances who bought EV's were going to buy new cars in that price range anyway, so it's still a win for their budget in terms of operating/maintenance expenses.

Where it gets interesting is when the used EV's (with adequate battery capacity) get down in prices enough to be competitive with beaters like the cars I drive. It's going to happen in the not too distant future. As inuvik points out, it's already happening in OR with that state's rebate.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For what its worth, I just bought dad a 2007 Toyota Camry with 204k miles on it for $2,400. I dumped about $1,500 in it to replace the radiator, fix TPMS, new windshield, valve cover gasket, new sun visors, floor mats, and a paint job.

I also pulled the carpet to pressure wash it, and I scrubbed the interior while it was in pieces for the carpet removal/replacement. I got lucky with this purchase and the car has nice leather seats and perfectly balanced Michelin tires with lots of tread left.

It ain't much, but it looks like a brand new car and should the zombie apocalypse happen, dad is going to be able to get out of town in comfort. Its also a zillion times more of a green vehicle than any electric car on the market.

Much nicer and cheaper than my Mirage. It even has less miles on it.

Name:  77EA5315-BCA2-423F-A855-A5E948791837.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  91.5 KB

Name:  249C0F36-4442-4157-8863-4C3ADF7FA57E.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  88.9 KB
    Last edited by stevedmc; 12-24-2018 at 05:22 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-24-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    But not eligible for a $2500 tax credit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    For what its worth, I just bought dad a 2007 Toyota Camry with 204k miles on it for $2,400. I dumped about $1,500 in it to replace the radiator, fix TPMS, new windshield, valve cover gasket, new sun visors, floor mats, and a paint job.

Much nicer and cheaper than my Mirage. It even has less miles on it.
    Nice looks new, those survivor cars are rare in Ontario with the Buffalo-area-like winters and lake effect snow and salt on the road. My uncle is over 90 years old, and has his 2002 or so Camry still driving... replaced his '88 Camry

Kind of ironic but I just saw a friend of mine from the East Coast originally just earlier tday, and we were touring in his '18 Camry black on black no leather. Dunno new style camry's like the new civics, low to the ground looks great, I refuse to drive his car and no one drives my Mirage but me lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

I still can't justify buying an ev. The cheapest ones near me are the og Nissan leaf's and they still want $10,000 for one that has 60 mile range(maybe). A used Bolt is $26,000 and a new one is $35,000 plus fees and tax but there's a $5,000 tax rebate I believe...

I could buy a Leaf for $10k and charge for free for 10 years(doubtful that the battery would last that long) or keep fueling up the Mirage and maintaining it for the next 10 years.
    I spend maybe $1000 a year on fuel, brakes, tires and oil changes on the Mirage. As much as I'd like an ev it just doesn't make sense for me. It sucks cause there are a bunch of free chargers close to my house.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I like EVs...but from a purely financial angle they still don't make sense when compared to a Mirage. Some of these first-generation EVs (like the Leaf) have had some battery issues and I'm not sure I would want one if you gave it to me. A friend has a 2018 and it's a nice car...but the range isn't all that great. He leased it and now 3 years later he either has to buy it out or walk away.

Other random EV comments...

EVs aren’t the greatest vehicles in cold climates. Whatever an EV’s advertised range is, you can almost cut that number in half during the coldest winter months. An EV with a smaller battery capacity could become a challenge for some owners in cold climates.

Most EVs have “thermal management” systems to heat/cool the battery (EV batteries don’t like extreme hot/cold) . This reduces battery degradation and makes the car generally more usable. A cool battery can be charged faster in the summer. A warm battery will have more usable power in the winter.

The Nissan Leaf (prior to 2020) doesn’t heat/cool the battery. Anyone considering a Leaf…be sure to Google “Leaf thermal management.”

This forum member just bought a 2016 Spark EV for something like $6,000. I would have jumped on that deal! That would be a great vehicle for commuting around town. Unfortunately, they didn’t make a lot of them and they only sold them in a couple of west coast states.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-22-2021)

I see there are a few hydrogen fuel cell vehicles now. Hyundai Nexon, Toyota Mirai and the Honda Clarity(lease option only). But fueling stations are non existant other than a few in the Vancouver area and one in southern Quebec afaik.

I think that may be a more sensible option over a battery powered car. Longer distances and shorter fuel up times. But the infrastructure isn't there(here) and I don't think it'd be possible to rig up a do it yourself hydrogen fuel station at home. Yet.
    Tell me which stock to buy!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The problem with all of it is infrastructure... until someone explains to me how we magically make the grid even remotely represent HALF of the current gas station footprint I simply won't put much faith in eliminating ICEs for folks in the middle of the country who drive a lot like me...

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)