Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you get a used EV with a net cost of less than US $2500?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts

Can you get a used EV with a net cost of less than US $2500?

The answer to this question is yes——If you live in Oregon.

Oregon has a $2500 tax CREDIT (not a deduction) available for purchasers of used EV’s. I found some Nissan Leaf’s For less than $5000 so the net cost to you would be less than $2500 total. With a few days left in this year if you bought one in the next few days you could claim the credit for your 2018 taxes. There is a income limit but most households should qualify. Here is the link to more information.

https://www.oregon.gov/deq/aq/progra...ad-Rebate.aspx

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-23-2018),Loren (12-23-2018),MetroMPG (12-24-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Electric would suck for me because of all the driving I do, but for someone that stays in town, that is a pretty sweet deal.

I rode in a Delorean once that had been converted to electric. I was very impressed with the power and honestly, I had to check the color of my underwear after the ride was over. That thing was way faster than my gas powered Delorean.

Electric certainly isn't for me, but it does have its benefits which include very reduced maintenance. You no longer have to worry about things like coolant or oil changes. Of course, the trade off is you can't get out of town when the zombie apocalypse happens.

I think the saving the planet / reduced emissions thing is the biggest lie though. Those batteries come from somewhere and so does the power. For me, the biggest benefit would be reduced maintenance. Instead of doing an oil change every 5k miles you simply have to buy an expensive battery pack every 100k miles or whatever the frequency is.

Thats the end of my pointless rant. Nice find.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    A electric car right now couldn’t be my only vehicle but for 80% of what I do, it sure could. Be a great 2nd vehicle

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Don’t try this with your EV.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Early Leafs ("Leaves"?) have lots of problems with their battery packs. That is why they are so cheap. They got it sorted out around 2015, but 2011-2014 are pretty much a no-no from what I have read.

I shopped these not too long ago just for the hell of it. In my neck of the woods, there is basically a 100% price jump from a 2014 model to a 2015 model, all else being equal. A 2011-2014 car will be around $5,000, and that goes up to $10,000+ for a '15.

I have seen a few ads where the instrument cluster was shown. There was one with only six 'bars' (out of ten) showing on the battery pack indicator, and the available range was given as 18-20 miles!

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    from my understanding, cheap hybrids and electric cars usually state they need the battery replaced.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

That's impressive/attractive if the rebate applies to used EV's too.

An EV is a no-brainer for typical 2-car households.

I now know FIVE people who have bought EVs in the past 2 years. I just got a chance to drive my friend's 2018 Leaf just this week. He's driven it 11,000 km on less than $200 worth of electricity (and Ontario has the most expensive electricity in Canada). To go the same distance in my modified-for-efficiency 60+ MPG 1.0L car cost me more than double that in fuel alone, not even counting internal combustion-related maintenance & repairs! Edit Post

Here's his Leaf, covered in seasonal salt & crud, and wearing its winter boots:

Name:  pats-leaf.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  84.4 KB

I had a ton of fun driving my friends' Prius plug-in for a week too:

Thread: I got to drive an i-MiEV electric car (and a Chevy Bolt, and a Prius Prime plug-in)

If money were no object for a car, I'd probably have a plug-in hybrid.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    If money were no object for a car, I'd probably have a plug-in hybrid.
    That's interesting, to think of the economical cost of an electric vehicle like that. I wonder if the range is very very good too? And how the battery or powertrain, how it'll hold up after 5 years. The electric truck Rivian has a 500+ km range I understand. I wonder if the electrical fill up is the same as in a small e car like the leaf,.. or another thing, if electric vehicles of all stripes get worse |fuel economy" as the batteries wear after 5000 charges

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    To go the same distance in my modified-for-efficiency 60+ MPG 1.0L car cost me more than double that in fuel alone, not even counting internal combustion-related maintenance & repairs!

I'll bet your 1.0 didn't cost $36,000!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I'll bet your 1.0 didn't cost $36,000!
    Amen.