Thread: another reason to buy a Mirage.....

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

another reason to buy a Mirage.....

I was just looking at the oil change procedure for a couple of new trucks. Surprisingly, some manufacturers have gone back to the cartridge type oil filter. Changing oil is more of a mess, you have to change o-rings on the cartridge housing. Ford even has plastic (one-time use) drain plugs.
    Think I'll keep my old truck and Mirage. Hopefully, for a long time, too. So much simpler.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

2of9 (12-27-2018),Cobrajet (12-24-2018),inuvik (12-23-2018),Marklovski (01-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I agree. The oil filter on our Ford Fusion has a cartridge filter - it is both more expensive (for less material) and more difficult to change. I found that some owners found a way to swap the oil filter boss with one of another model in order to use a conventional spin-on oil filter. At least it's mounted vertically with the open end facing up, which negates the need for an anti-drainback valve. Other than that, I don't care for the design.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep. The wife's 13' Corolla had that. Plus, you need a 'unique' oil filter wrench to loosen the oil filter too. A bit annoying.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My Jeep uses a cartridge. Cheap and a quick swap. Not a drop spilled ever, either.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    My Jeep uses a cartridge. Cheap and a quick swap. Not a drop spilled ever, either.
    I did an oil change on a Pontiac Grand Am for someone once. It had a drop in cartridge. It was easy to get at standing up & easy to switch. I didn't think it was a bad design, just different.

I do remember doing a google search for the filter location, because I was use to looking for an oil filter hanging off the side of the engine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My tundra takes a cartridge filter. It is a more involved process but the worst part is the 8qts of synthetic it requires lol. Almost 3 mirage changes to every one tundra change.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-05-2021)