Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: TPMS Quick Reference (common problems/solutions/cloning etc.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts

Cloning with an Autel TS408 tool

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    8. Affordable TPMS Tool Suggestion

The Autel TS408 a basic TPMS tool that can read TPMS sensor data and it can program/clone Autel sensors. This may be the least expensive tool available (about $160) that can do both of these functions.

The TS408 is not an advanced TPMS tool with an OBDII interface...so you can't use it to read TPMS trouble codes from the computer. It also can't read TPMS sensor IDs from the computer or register sensor IDs into the computer. But the functions it can do are impressive for the price.

Autel periodically updates the software for their TPMS tools, but you get FREE software upgrades for life with the TS408. That's a huge benefit worth mentioning because some TPMS tool manufacturers charge a fee for software updates.

Autel programmable sensors are about $30/each (including the valve stem). I see sets of 4 every day on eBay for $100 shipped. Remember that 1 OEM sensor from the dealer lists for about $90.
    I recently purchased the Autel TS408 ($122.09 with free shipping) from JB Tools Inc.
    I also purchased four Autel MX-Sensors ($29.95/each = $119.80 with shipping) from Amazon, because JB Tools was sold out of MX-Sensors. For whatever reason, buying individual sensors was cheaper than buying a set of 4 at the time on Amazon? Now, that I know they work, I can shop around for a better price in the future maybe?

Purchasing another pair of Mirage steel rims from Dirk recently sparked this purchase for me. By the way - I appreciate Dirk making that happen! I will now have two complete sets of wheels (summer/winter) for my 2017 Mirage. I also have two sets of wheels for my 2011 Forester. I was up to 8 wheels without working sensors. Thus, I thought I would give this a try. I only bought 4 sensors for now, but I can add to that any time now.

I am really impressed on how easy the Autel TS408 tool is to use. I love tools you can use without having to read the instruction manual! This tool is so simple to use.

I simply picked Mitsubishi Mirage (range 2014-17). Selected - scan all 4 wheels, & it took about 2 minutes to do. Just like that you have all four sensors copied on to the device. Then I programmed each of my new MX-Sensors to each wheel. It took longer for me to write down the codes on paper (for future reference). I have all 4 new sensors now programmed and ready to be installed in my second set of tires. Each sensor came in a tiny ziplock bag. I programmed it & put in a slip of paper in the bag indicating the wheel on my Mirage and the sensor code. For example, LF wheel was code # 98D7A88B. Once again it took me longer to write this on the slip paper than it took to program the new sensors. As you program one of the stored codes, it lets you know it's been copied on to a new sensors. If your spare tire had a sensor, it would store that one, too. Overall, it's pretty slick!

I like the fact that these sensors can be reprogrammed to another code in the future, too. You just need to let the air out of the tire to do so. If I should decide to mix sets of tires, I can do that. I just need to make sure that I am using the 4 TPMS codes stored in my Mirage.

If one of my factory sensors dies over time (battery life expires), I can simply replace it with a MX-Sensor by cloning that code on to it.

You can literally scan all four sensors in about 1-2 minutes. You can easily clone 4 new sensors in about 15 minutes total (scan existing 4 & clone 4 new ones). It's that simple!

When I purchased a pair of snow tires for my Mirage in December of 2017, none of the tire shops in town could clone me a pair of sensors for my Mirage. The tire shops in town used an auto parts store to clone sensors for them, but the auto parts store said a Mirage sensor couldn't be clone by their device. For a community of 5,000, it was a dead end search for me. Driving 65+ miles to Madison or 70+ miles to LaCrosse to deal with sensors isn't worth it to me.

I honestly think that I could sell this tool to my local mechanic & get my money back. Then again, he may have something by now, too?

Sidenote:

My Mirage sensors have an 8-digit code.

My Forester sensors use a 6-digit code. Both are 315 MHz.

These MX-Sensors will clone both 315MHz & 433 MHz.

Conclusion: Scanning & cloning these sensors was quite simple. I will purchase another 4 sensors for my Forester's winter tires. Some time this summer, I am going to have my local mechanic install new tires on the steel rims I bought from Dirk, install cloned sensors on all 8 wheels (Mirage & Forester), & rebalance them for me.

Whenever I change tires in the future, I should be set as far as the TPMS should go. The car's TPMS will recognize the cloned tires, and all should be good!

Last edited by Mark; 05-10-2020 at 09:01 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-10-2020),Fummins (05-11-2020),inuvik (05-10-2020),jtr990 (12-03-2020),Top_Fuel (05-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Hey Mark nice write-up. Glad to hear this is working for you, and much thanks for sharing your findings. It is great to hear TPMS success stories.

Hats off!

By the way, have you tested them against your Mirage yet? I suppose that would involve installing them and mounting the tire assembly for a road test.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Mark nice write-up. Glad to hear this is working for you, and much thanks for sharing your findings. It is great to hear TPMS success stories.

Hats off!

By the way, have you tested them against your Mirage yet? I suppose that would involve installing them and mounting the tire assembly for a road test.
    I have only cloned the new sensors to the four factory sensors. I have no reason to believe they won't work. The programming was done without a glitch. Since Top Fuel has had success with them, I see no reason why they aren't going to work. The new sensors will give off the same signal as the original factory sensors. I am going to order another four and clone them to my Forester's sensors next.

I understand what you are asking. I don't have them installed in wheels, but that will happen some day. I don't think the Mirage's TPMS is going sense a difference between the originals or cloned ones. As long as it's reading the 4 codes and the tire pressure is good, it should be fine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Hey Mark...thanks for posting about your experience. If you want to have multiple sets of wheels while maintaining your OEM TPMS functionality, there's no cheaper way to go than what you did. The same thing goes for replacing a dead sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    ...Top Fuel has had success with them, I see no reason why they aren't going to work.
    A couple of years ago I cloned and installed 1 Autel programmable sensor in one of my Mirage wheels. The only purpose for doing so was to make sure it would work in my car. The guys at Discount Tire thought I was a little goofy because I was asking them to replace a perfectly functioning OEM sensor with the Autel sensor, but they did it and it worked fine for me for a couple of years.

With some Mirages now approaching 6 years old, we're going to start seeing more OEM TPMS sensors failing due to the battery going dead. Cloning is a quick and affordable solution. There are some local tire shops now doing it, but they charge something like $79 for a single sensor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's a good idea to make sure something works before the 30-day return period runs out.

Been there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's a good idea to make sure something works before the 30-day return period runs out.

Been there.
    Good advice, but I have no reason to believe they aren't going to work. I wouldn't have gone this route, if Top Fuel hadn't confirmed these sensors work on a Mirage. I also went this route, because the same sensors can be also programmed for my Subaru Forester. Free lifetime updates will most likely insure cloning for all future vehicles, too. Plus, I don't live near dealerships for my vehicles, & I didn't want to pay a lot money for a tool to just program sensors. Since I am doing 8 sensors right away, the cost of a $122.09 tool is somewhat justified. If places are selling cloned sensors for $79 like Top Fuel stated, I am creating my own for $30 bucks now. Using that price comparison, saving $49/sensor x 8 sensors = $392 savings. That has the tool cost more than covered already.

The only catch that I see is that you are at the mercy of Autel keeping their sensors affordable. Since I have been aware of this option the past couple years, the pricing has remained stable. These sensors aren't really any more or less expensive than ones that can't be cloned.

I really don't want to reprogram my Mirage & Forester every time I change wheels twice a year (both spring & fall). This is the only option to keep my TPMS working properly that I would consider spending money on.

New sensors won't go on my vehicles until next November, but I can surely test a wheel once I get them set up. I have the extra rims, tires, & now new sensors. I also have 6 tires on rims without working sensors. Now, that I know how easy these are to clone, I am buying 4 more sensors for my Subaru. Then I will take in all 8 tires in to get set up. The tires presently on both vehicles have factory sensors. I wouldn't be shocked to see my 2011 Forester have a sensor go dead any time soon either.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All good points, though bad modules happen. Here's hoping it doesn't happen to you.

TPMS programming party at Marks. Or maybe at the next Mirage meetup?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All good points, though bad modules happen. Here's hoping it doesn't happen to you.

TPMS programming party at Marks. Or maybe at the next Mirage meetup?
    Anything is possible? I'm sure there are bad modules amongst the already programmed ones on the market, too.

In that regard, a faulty module may show up when it's cloned. The fact that the sensors cloned without issue seems promising to me.

My ability to read a sensor with this tool is another positive feature. It confirms a signal is being sent from the sensor. You can double check your cloning. If I had bought programmed sensors, I could make sure they are working, too. If not, I could send them back to the supplier before installing them. Finding out a new sensor doesn't work after it has been installed in a tire would be more frustrating to me.

The main downfall of this tool is that it will only clone sensors from Autel, but it will obviously read most any sensors.

Tech support seems good from Autel, too. I've email them questions on two different occasions, & I got timely replies back from them.

Autel TS408 may not be the right tool for everyone. In my case, I was up to 8 wheels (for two vehicles) without working sensors. Now I know all the codes for both vehicles, too. If a sensors dies, I can program a new replacement one before I even go to the local tire shop. I am not a fan of TPMS, but it's not going away.

If that tpms tool is like the one I have you can also test key fobs as well. I think it's under the toolbox menu? I'd look but that'd involve effort.
    I agree with autel tech support, my scanner at work was never updated until it was at least 4 years old. It was a little hit and miss when I had to deal with them but it didn't take long to be able to speak with someone who knew what they were talking about and fix my problem. You usually don't see post's about company's unless the're bad, especially from me but I have nothing but good things to say about Autel and their tech support.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-11-2020 at 09:49 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...I have nothing but good things to say about Autel and their tech support.
    I agree. They have always responded to my questions.

Who else sells a $150 TPMS programmer and the manufacturer gives you free software updates for the life of the tool? I've probably updated mine 10+ times in the last 3 years. I have a $1,000+ Bartec tool and they want something like $200 for each software update after the first year of ownership.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)