Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: TPMS Quick Reference (common problems/solutions/cloning etc.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    IsnĀ’t it normal and typical to activate the sensors for registration? And can sensor activation be done by simply depressurizing the sensors? So maybe the second activation tool isnĀ’t needed?
    You can release the air pressure in your tire to reprogram the sensor in the tire. If I wanted to reclone a sensor to a code already stored in the car's TPMS, you can surely do that. I inquired about that directly from Autel before I ever considered buying an Autel tool.

That has nothing to do with what they are talking about. Programming new codes into your TPMS is different.

I cloned four Autel MX-Sensor 2-1 sensors for my Subaru & four for my Mirage with my Autel TS408 tool this summer. All 8 cloned sensors are now on both vehicles. Both vehicles never knew the sensors were changed. I've used both vehicle multiple times now, & I am confident everything worked as expected.

I will never change a programmed code in any of my vehicles ever. I find it much easier to just clone a new sensor to the exiting codes. I switched 16 tires (pulled 8 wheels and added 8 different wheels) on my two vehicles recently, & I didn't have to do anything to keep my TPMS working now. I paid $120 for my TS408, but in my case I feel it's worth it. My local tire shops can't seem to pull off what I wanted, and Madison or LaCrosse are 65+ miles away.

I can program my own sensors for much cheaper, & my local tire shop guys were willing to add my own sensors and rebalance four wheels for $30 cash (no slip made out). That's $30 to do the entire set of 4 tires for me. I also just left the tires & sensors with them, & I picked them up when they were done. For one place that was 2-weeks, & the other place was the next day. I didn't care either way.

If I change tire sets some day - let say I want to use an older pair of snow tires on the rear of my Mirage during the summer months. I can clone those tires to any of the 4 codes on my Mirage. I can't change the factory sensors, but I can surely change the Autel sensor codes by just letting the air out (& that is what you are referring, too).

Last edited by Mark; 12-17-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I wanted to say this was one of the best explanations of how Mirage TPMS works, you deserve a standing ovation for your hard work!

I always suggest the VT56, it is worth every penny. Alternatively, cloning ID's with an ATEQ VT36 or VT37 works beautifully if using blank programmable sensors.

Thanks for your insight.

-DT

3. The Following User Says Thank You to diytpms For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You can release the air pressure in your tire to reprogram the sensor in the tire. If I wanted to reclone a sensor to a code already stored in the car's TPMS, you can surely do that. I inquired about that directly from Autel before I ever considered buying an Autel tool.

That has nothing to do with what they are talking about. Programming new codes into your TPMS is different.

I cloned four Autel MX-Sensor 2-1 sensors for my Subaru & four for my Mirage with my Autel TS408 tool this summer. All 8 cloned sensors are now on both vehicles. Both vehicles never knew the sensors were changed. I've used both vehicle multiple times now, & I am confident everything worked as expected.

I will never change a programmed code in any of my vehicles ever. I find it much easier to just clone a new sensor to the exiting codes. I switched 16 tires (pulled 8 wheels and added 8 different wheels) on my two vehicles recently, & I didn't have to do anything to keep my TPMS working now. I paid $120 for my TS408, but in my case I feel it's worth it. My local tire shops can't seem to pull off what I wanted, and Madison or LaCrosse are 65+ miles away.

I can program my own sensors for much cheaper, & my local tire shop guys were willing to add my own sensors and rebalance four wheels for $30 cash (no slip made out). That's $30 to do the entire set of 4 tires for me. I also just left the tires & sensors with them, & I picked them up when they were done. For one place that was 2-weeks, & the other place was the next day. I didn't care either way.

If I change tire sets some day - let say I want to use an older pair of snow tires on the rear of my Mirage during the summer months. I can clone those tires to any of the 4 codes on my Mirage. I can't change the factory sensors, but I can surely change the Autel sensor codes by just letting the air out (& that is what you are referring, too).
    Crappy part about the autel tpms tool is you can only program or clone autel brand tpms sensors and they're not the cheapest around.

Standard makes 2 kinds of sensor, pre-programmed ones that you just install and follow the mfg relearn procedure(or use a scan tool). They are fairly pricey too.
    The other is the blank qwik sensors they are way cheaper but require a capable tpms tool to program or clone them....

I've got a set of wheels coming for the nissans so I can get the vans in and out faster come spring. Always have one or two sets of wheels with tires mounted ready to go. But they have the stupid tpms sensors. They're so intrusive that they beep and ding, and you can't read the odometer as it says "check tire" constantly and won't let you turn it off. I'm getting the chepo qwick sensors to install so I'll have to buy a new tpms tool now. Damnit.

Neat https://eaccess.smpcorp.com/eCatalog...-SvcRepair.pdf
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-24-2020 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Attached document

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Crappy part about the autel tpms tool is you can only program or clone autel brand tpms sensors and they're not the cheapest around.
    You can read any sensor brand, but you are at the mercy of Autel's pricing of their clone-able sensors & quality of them. (how good are they/how long will they last).

As far as pricing goes, they seem about average to me. 4 sensors cost me about $120 with free shipping. 4 Duralast sensors that aren't made to be cloned are $130 @ my local Auto Zone. A tire place like Discount Tire lists all their sensors as being $60/sensor (probably a 100% mark up).

I can get 4 sensors for my Subaru for $70 @ eBay, but they can't be cloned. If I don't have a tool to reprogram my vehicle, they are useless. Plus, every time I change my two sets of wheels, I would have to reprogram my vehicle again. Yuck!

I switch 16 wheels on my Forester/Mirage recently. Pull 8 tires off and put 8 tires (with new Autel sensors) back on. Both vehicle's TPMS never knew the tires had been changed.

I can read the sensors on my vehicle and clone 4 new ones in less than 10 minutes. It's so simple. I don't have to do anything else to keep my TPMS working.

Plus, a relatively cheap ($120) programming tool comes with free lifetime updates. I will most likely be able to take care of all the vehicles I own in the future, too. I have never owned a vehicle that didn't have extra wheels, because I need good traction to get home. I use newer tires in the winter & use up older ones in the summer.

If my local shops would just clone sensors, I would not have gone that route. I wasn't finding that to be the case. If I decide to switch tires around (say I want to use up a pair of snow tires on the rear of my Mirage), I can reprogram the Autel sensors to any of the four codes programmed on my Mirage's TPMS to keep the system working.

I know you can buy cheaper sensors, but those that can't be cloned are useless to me. I have zero interest in reprogramming both vehicles every time I switch tires in the spring & fall. Plus, I don't have a tool that does that & many of those type of tools also require expensive updates. Some are saying a Mirage requires two tools to reprogram it. No thanks to all that!

Since other companies are making clone-able sensors, my hope is that Autel will stay competitive with their pricing. Compared to other well known brands, they seem competitive to me. Plus, free lifetime updates is nice for someone who doesn't work on tires for a living.

Life would be better without TPMS. I wanted something that allows me change wheels & just keep the system working with as little effort as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You can read any sensor brand, but you are at the mercy of Autel's pricing of their clone-able sensors & quality of them. (how good are they/how long will they last).

As far as pricing goes, they seem about average to me. 4 sensors cost me about $120 with free shipping. 4 Duralast sensors that aren't made to be cloned are $130 @ my local Auto Zone. A tire place like Discount Tire lists all their sensors as being $60/sensor (probably a 100% mark up).

I can get 4 sensors for my Subaru for $70 @ eBay, but they can't be cloned. If I don't have a tool to reprogram my vehicle, they are useless. Plus, every time I change my two sets of wheels, I would have to reprogram my vehicle again. Yuck!

I switch 16 wheels on my Forester/Mirage recently. Pull 8 tires off and put 8 tires (with new Autel sensors) back on. Both vehicle's TPMS never knew the tires had been changed.

I can read the sensors on my vehicle and clone 4 new ones in less than 10 minutes. It's so simple. I don't have to do anything else to keep my TPMS working.

Plus, a relatively cheap ($120) programming tool comes with free lifetime updates. I will most likely be able to take care of all the vehicles I own in the future, too. I have never owned a vehicle that didn't have extra wheels, because I need good traction to get home. I use newer tires in the winter & use up older ones in the summer.

If my local shops would just clone sensors, I would not have gone that route. I wasn't finding that to be the case. If I decide to switch tires around (say I want to use up a pair of snow tires on the rear of my Mirage), I can reprogram the Autel sensors to any of the four codes programmed on my Mirage's TPMS to keep the system working.

I know you can buy cheaper sensors, but those that can't be cloned are useless to me. I have zero interest in reprogramming both vehicles every time I switch tires in the spring & fall. Plus, I don't have a tool that does that & many of those type of tools also require expensive updates. Some are saying a Mirage requires two tools to reprogram it. No thanks to all that!

Since other companies are making clone-able sensors, my hope is that Autel will stay competitive with their pricing. Compared to other well known brands, they seem competitive to me. Plus, free lifetime updates is nice for someone who doesn't work on tires for a living.

Life would be better without TPMS. I wanted something that allows me change wheels & just keep the system working with as little effort as possible.
    I get it. If we carried autel sensors my life would be made simpler. I can get some from amazon for just under $40 if I buy a set of 4. The standard pre programmed sensors are close to $60 and the qwik sensors are under $30. I might try to convince them to just spend the extra $80 and get 8 autel senors so I don't have to buy a $250 tpms tool. Though it would be nice to have the ability to program the universal qwick sensors.
    Stupid tpms. Though it's handy when you do have a flat. It would have saved me a tire. I don't do a daily pre trip walk around of my personal vehicles so never noticed that stupid flat tire til I hit the freeway lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Hey I attached your pdf to your post.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I must say, I was rather impressed with Discount Tire yesterday. A bit of backstory:

I got a set of custom wheels for our Mirage back in 2018. I had them move over the factory TPMS sensors to the new wheels. Over the next couple of years, each sensor (3 of 4 thus far) have fallen into the tire causing the TPMS light to come on and an imbalance in the wheels since it's just being tossed around in them.

Time 1: Dealer took care of it. It was a new dealer and I think they were trying to be nice to us. No cost.

Time 2: Dealer took care of it despite me telling them not to (I didn't want to get charged). They did it and tried to charge me. (I was going to take it up with Discount Tire). In the end, they didn't charge me. No cost.

Time 3: I took it to Discount Tire as, yet again, a sensor fell into the tire. They put a new sensor in and didn't charge me. They tried to do a standard "learning" sequence, and sure enough, it didn't take.

I went back yesterday (4/8/21) and this person knew to get the OBDII tool and was able to reset the code at no cost and at no hassle.

I'd read a number of times on this forum that a shop that has the OBDII tool will likely be able to pair the TPMS, and such was the case here.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-09-2021),Top_Fuel (04-09-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    The guys at Discount Tire have been helpful for me in the past. The last time I was in my local store (about a year ago) they were using a Bartec Tech 400 Pro...

Name:  bartec.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  95.8 KB

Unless you have a serious issue with your TPMS system, this tool should work on a Mirage (NOTE: This tool does NOT need the funky "Mitsubishi-only" blue adapter cable that the Tech 400 SD requires).

I've got multiple TPMS trouble codes along with a flashing TPMS light...and we were not able to do anything with my car at Discount Tire unfortunately. I don't think my car will go through the OBDII relearn process until the TPMS trouble codes are cleared. At this point, I'm just taking it back to the dealer because I think my ETACS module needs a good slap before it will go back to normal operation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    I must say, I was rather impressed with Discount Tire yesterday.

I went back yesterday (4/8/21) and this person knew to get the OBDII tool and was able to reset the code at no cost and at no hassle.

I'd read a number of times on this forum that a shop that has the OBDII tool will likely be able to pair the TPMS, and such was the case here.
    I've heard nothing but positive about Discount Tire on this forum, too. I remember Steve (Cheap Plastic car) having some TPMS work done there, and they did it for free, too. In his case, he bought his tires & sensors elsewhere & they still helped him out. Walmart mounted his Walmart purchased tires & Amazon purchased sensors for him, but it was Discount Tire that reprogrammed his Mirage (after two trips there to figure it out). ​I take note of those type of things. I don't live near a Discount Tire, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them if I did lived near one.

DT don't carry much of a 165/65r14 tire selection, but that wouldn't apply to guys using different size tires. They want $588 for a set of Dunlop Ensave tires. Ouch!!!
    Last edited by Mark; 04-09-2021 at 07:23 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can confirm that the Autel MX-Sensor 2 in 1 can be easily reprogrammed. I was told by an Autel Representative that the MX-Sensors could be reprogrammed if you drop the tire air pressure.

I replaced my worn out factory Dunlop tires with a brand new pair of Kumho tires on my Mirage's rear axle today. Both pairs of tires are mounted on factory rims with factory sensors. This meant my front Nexen tires with Autel sensors needed to have their TPMS codes switched.

Since I had the floor jack out anyways, I lifted the front tire & let the air out. Picked the code save on my Autel TS408 device and reprogrammed the tire to the code I needed. It takes less than 10 seconds for it to reprogram the sensor. I put the valve shut off back into the valve stem, and pumped the tire back up to 40 psi. Did the other tire, & I was done.

Recording this for my own future reference (11/22/21) -

Nokian Nordman 7 165/65r14 (14" x 5.5" steel rims) Autel sensors - 98D6E1D4 & 98D7A88B - storage

Nexen N'Priz AH5 165/65r14 (14" x 5" steel rims) Autel sensors - 98D6E1D4 & 98D7A88B - front axle

Kumho Solus TA31 165/65r14 (14" x 4.5" steel rims) Factory sensors - 98D6E1AO & 98D6EOFO - rear axle

Dunlop Enasave (165/65r14 (14" x 4.5" steel rims) Factory sensors - 98D6E1D4 & 98D7A88B - storage

I wanted to pull my very worn Dunlop tires off before heading to my parents for Thanksgiving this week.

I currently have my Nexen tires up front and brand new Kumho tires on the rear. The Kumho tires replaced a worn out pair of Federal SS657 tires.

In a couple more weeks, the Nokian snow tires will replace the Nexen tires. Nokian & Kumho tires for the winter months.

Next spring, I will move the Kumho tires to the front & the Nexen tires will be rotated to the rear.

By having an Autel TS408 tool and sensors that can be reprogrammed I can keep my TPMS system working with the 4 existing factory TPMS codes. When I add my snow tires up front in a couple weeks, I don't have to do anything else to keep my TPMS dash light off. When I go back to my Nexen & Kumho tires for next summer, I am also good.

If I would couldn't clone my factory sensors, I wouldn't waste my money on extra sensors at all!

Last edited by Mark; 11-22-2021 at 08:39 PM.