Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: TPMS Quick Reference (common problems/solutions/cloning etc.)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Great school on TPMS!

King Tire near here has some generic TPMS sensors they install with a tire change and clone to the vehicle system. Did tires with them on a KIA Sedona and a Smart car. So what it the difference between those and the Mirage?

Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    Great school on TPMS!

King Tire near here has some generic TPMS sensors they install with a tire change and clone to the vehicle system. Did tires with them on a KIA Sedona and a Smart car. So what it the difference between those and the Mirage?
    Did they clone the new sensors to the vehicle or reprogram your vehicle to the new sensors? In my mind, there's a huge difference. When I switch a set of tires now, I don't have to do anything to keep my TPMS working. The vehicle doesn't even know the 4 wheels have been changed out.

Some companies use 315 MHz & some use 433 MHz. The Autel MX-Sensor 2-in-1 does both.

When I bought my Autel TS408 tool, I cloned 8 sensors (4 for my Mirage & 4 for my Forester) without any issues.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (11-23-2021)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Did they clone the new sensors to the vehicle or reprogram your vehicle to the new sensors? In my mind, there's a huge difference. When I switch a set of tires now, I don't have to do anything to keep my TPMS working. The vehicle doesn't even know the 4 wheels have been changed out.

Some companies use 315 MHz & some use 433 MHz. The Autel MX-Sensor 2-in-1 does both.

When I bought my Autel TS408 tool, I cloned 8 sensors (4 for my Mirage & 4 for my Forester) without any issues.
    Don't know. Will have to ask next time....
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    Don't know. Will have to ask next time....
    In my case, I am using 8 wheels (two sets of tires) per vehicle. If I had new sensors programmed to my Mirage for the second set of wheels, my factory sensors would no longer be recognized by my Mirage. That would then involve buying a more expensive tool to reprogram my Mirage every time I switched out tires or visiting a dealer to reprogram my vehicle every time I switched out tires. Imagine the cost & headache? Closest dealers for my two vehicles are approximately 130 mile round trip. There is no way in he-- I am doing that even one time!

By cloning my extra set of sensors to my factory sensors, all 8 sensors will work on my Mirage. I don't have to do anything to my Mirage to make them work either. I just change tires like normal, & everything is good! I change sets of wheel early spring & late fall for my Forester & Mirage.

If we get an early snow storm, my Forester has its snow tires on already. I will wait a bit longer for my Mirage.

Canadians should feel blessed if they don't have to deal with TPMS. I question the extra cost of it all. A tire gauge is cheap, & using it is simple!
    Last edited by Mark; 11-22-2021 at 11:17 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Two wheel sensors died on the 2015 Impala I use for driving lessons recently. The owner of the driving school purchased 4 of the Autel MX-Sensors online & had them shipped to my home.

Since two of the sensors were dead, I couldn't scan them to clone them. My local mechanic would have to remove the old sensors and manually enter the same code on the new MX-Sensors. I stopped by his shop, & I asked him if he was willing to program the new sensors being sent to me with my Autel tool.

When I finally got the sensors, I stopped by again to schedule an appointment to have this done. He didn't need my TS-408 tool, however. He bought his own Autel TPMS tool. I showed him how to manually enter the code, left the new sensors in the car, & he took care of them while I was gone on a fishing trip.

What he had before was very limited in what cars it could do. That's why I bought the tool! No one could help me clone a sensor for a Mitsubishi Mirage, & I checked with most everyone who did tires in my nearby town at the time. That's been a few years ago now, but I found it frustrating!

So far I've cloned 10 wheel sensors (4 Mirage, 4 Forester, & 2 Impala) without issue. I like that I can test my wheel sensors before mounting summer or winter tires on my Forester & Mirage each time, too.

It's been $122 well spent for me at least. The free lifetime updates are appealing to a mechanic, too.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-20-2023),inuvik (09-20-2023),Top_Fuel (09-20-2023)