Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TPMS Quick Reference (common problems/solutions/cloning etc.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This thread is ridiculous.

THANK YOU!

(blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Awesome plethora of TPMS info Top Fuel! Thanks.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (12-28-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I've added this to the mods and DIYs list
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (12-29-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,533 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    This thread is ridiculous.
    You know you have a problem when you are the only one posting in the first 10 replies of a thread...lol.

I've been assembling this info for awhile and decided to finally get it all out there in one spot.

I know a couple of us (like CobraJet) have burned up a lot of time chasing tools that over-promised and under-delivered. But at this point, I think we have a good understanding of how the TPMS system works. So now we know how to deal with it without spending a ton of money.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

A-Aron (12-28-2018),inuvik (12-28-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I've been assembling this info for awhile and decided to finally get it all out there in one spot.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to put this all together for all of us. It is extremely well done!!!!

Cloning sensors is definitely the way to go with any vehicle. Whether you are replacing a single sensor or setting up a second set of wheels for your vehicle, cloning makes the entire process so much easier.

I have one question. If I missed it in your write up, I apologize up front.

Can a cloned sensor be recloned to different code later on?

For example, let's say I have a 2nd set of snow tires cloned to a 2014 Mirage's factory tires. I trade my 2014 Mirage for a 2019 Mirage, & I want to keep my 2nd set of snow tires. Can I reprogram these clone-able sensors to the new codes of the new Mirage? Can I do this without removing the sensors in the wheels? (Sorry that makes this two questions now.)

Or

I manually entered the wrong code by accident, can I reprogram the same sensor a second time to the right code?

I am assuming you can do this, but I thought I would ask just the same.

I wish every service manager and parts department store manager would read your write up. I find it difficult to even talk about this stuff to these guys sometimes. All auto parts stores should be able to clone sensors for you, but that is not what I have found at all. One trip to a dealership justifies the cost of buying your own tool. You are totally correct about that.

Thanks again!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (12-28-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Whether you are replacing a single sensor or setting up a second set of wheels for your vehicle, cloning makes the entire process so much easier.
    Absolutely...that is the one thing everyone should realize if they don't want to read all that other stuff!

Can a cloned sensor be recloned to different code later on?
    That's a great question I didn't consider. I think the answer is yes. But I will pick up another programmable sensor and try it myself to verify that. I'll post an update.

Can I do this without removing the sensors in the wheels?
    Yes. You don't have to have the sensor right next to the tool like what the guy is doing in that cloning video...even though that's what the instructions say. The instructions also mention something like "Make sure all your other programmable sensors are several feet away during the programming process so you don't end up programming the wrong sensor by mistake." So that tells me the programming range extends beyond the immediate end of the tool.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-06-2019 at 12:46 AM. Reason: spelling

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have an extra set of snow tires for my 2011 Subaru Forester, & I just live with the TPMS light being on during the winter months. I think of the dash light as being my "snow tires are on the car" reminder. Thus, it would be nice to have a TPMS tool that dealt with this issue for both my Forester & Mirage at the same time. It's assuring to hear someone testing this all out for us.

I got a lot of dead end answers when I did some inquiring on all this about a year ago, but I live in a small town. A larger market in the cities may have a better handle on all this. Personally, I think anyone that deals with tires should have a device like this. They could charge a little extra for cloned sensors and get their money back on their investment quite easily.

I thought that I would ask Autel my same questions. Thus, I sent them the following email message. I will share their response, too!

Autel,

I am considering the purchase of your MaxiTPMS TS408.

My question is related to your MX-Sensors. Once the MX-Sensor is cloned, can it be reprogrammed with a different code later on?

For example - If I cloned a second set of snow tires to 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage's original factory tires & then traded that car in for a 2019 Mitsubishi Mirage, could I reprogram the same MX-Sensors to the newer vehicle (if I wanted to keep the same set of snow tires)?

If reprogramming a sensor is possible, would I be able to program the sensors a 2nd time without having to remove the MX-Sensors from the wheels/tires?

Or

If a person manually enters the wrong TPMS code into a new sensor, can it be reprogrammed to the correct code right away?

Since I am very new to all this, I would appreciate your insights to using your products before purchase.

Thank you very much!

Mark

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In the time it took me to write my last post, I received an answer from Autel. A quick response from them is a good sign, too! These are the answers to my questions, which is another big positive in my mind. Autel's response is below -

Yes you can always reprogram our Autel MX sensors. The only requirement to do so is 0PSI when trying to reprogram.

Simply unscrew the VALVE CORE PIN from the stem and let the tire deflate COMPLETELY
    Once the sensor feels less than 1PSI of pressure, it will then accept a new programming.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-28-2018),Top_Fuel (12-28-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    One question. Knowing Autel, has anyone ever heard of the MaxiTPMS PAD? You know, something like this:

Name:  14093646lmvs.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  37.9 KB

In addition to that, since some people in this forum own an Autel MaxiTPMS combination tool, has anyone updated their software to the latest version? Knowing the TS501, TS601, TS401, TS408, and TS508, they're free for the tool's lifetime.
    Last edited by jtr990; 01-27-2019 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Additional information

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr990 View Post
    One question. Knowing Autel, has anyone ever heard of the MaxiTPMS PAD?
    I think all that device can do is write TPMS ID's into programmable Autel sensors. So if you know your sensor ID's, that device could make sense. But for another $50 you can buy a tool that can read your sensor information and program new sensors.

...has anyone updated their software to the latest version? Knowing the TS501, TS601, TS401, TS408, and TS408, they're free for the tool's lifetime.
    Yes...I have updated the software in my TS501 about 4 times in the last year. Honestly...I thought I only got free updates for 1 year. So I'll have to re-read my paperwork. My tool will be 1 year old here soon.

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-28-2019 at 02:30 PM.