Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TPMS Quick Reference (common problems/solutions/cloning etc.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I hadn't heard of the MaxiTPMS PAD, but I am of the same opinion as Top_Fuel. This device may be useful for a tire shop, but for the average Joe a tool like the TS-408 seems like a better investment. I see no reason to own both.

Being able to read your present sensors and cloning them is all that I would ever be interested in. Even if I was helping out a friend, I would want to be able to read their old sensor before cloning them a new one. Obviously, an old sensor could be removed & read that way, too.

I like the fact that the Autel MX Sensors are dual frequency (315mhz and 433mhz), & approximately $30 for rubber or metal stem sensor doesn't seem like a bad price.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It will read removed sensors and copy them.
    I have seen some people claim to have used the pad to read the sensors in there wheels also.
    How true,, well I don't know,,
    I have been watching and trying to determine a cheep effective way to copy my sensors for my snows and summers.. while leaving my current steels set up as is. I had thought about trying one of those pads or ordering the 408.. waiting till it's a little closer to good weather before I do anything..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Aron View Post
    I have seen some people claim to have used the pad to read the sensors in there wheels also.
    How true,, well I don't know,,
    I have been watching and trying to determine a cheep effective way to copy my sensors for my snows and summers.. while leaving my current steels set up as is. I had thought about trying one of those pads or ordering the 408.. waiting till it's a little closer to good weather before I do anything..
    If it reads sensors, it is much more useful. I thought you typed in the code you wanted cloned using a PC computer. Thus, I stand corrected, which has happened many times in life.

I would have the issue of not owning a PC computer at home, too. I have a school MacBook Pro that I use at home. Until I retire from teaching, I don't plan on buying anything outside of a smartphone. I do have access to a PC computer at school, but that wouldn't be practical for this.

I am like you. I am interested in a cheap easy way to clone sensors. I like switching tires around, & I like the fact that these sensors can even be re-cloned to another code.

This review supports what you shared & thanks for the clarification -

January 20, 2017
    Size: 1pcs MAXITPMS PAD
    Relatively inexpensive option for DIY TPMS. I wanted to clone sensors to install in the winter tire/wheels. Cloned sensors should not require the TPMS to relearn new codes, since the 4 ID's on each set are the same. Thus, avoiding the $80 trip to the dealer for relearning the TPMS codes.

Reading already mounted sensors on the summer tires had a hitch. After many read-fails, thought maybe a status change would "wake" the sensor, so I released about 5 lb out of each tire, and sure enough, sensor went live, and could be read (late model Subaru's)

By the way - I own a Subaru, too. The dash light is on while I have winter tires on. I wouldn't mind changing that, too.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-27-2019 at 07:44 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Aron View Post
    If the pad device can do both reading the TPMS existing ID's and programming the new sensors, then that would be the absolute cheapest way to go! For a few extra $$ the hand-held device is self-contained and requires no laptop. For your purposes the pad might come down to a less convenient...but lower cost solution.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I would have the issue of not owning a PC computer at home, too. I have a school MacBook Pro that I use at home. Until I retire from teaching, I don't plan on buying anything outside of a smartphone. I do have access to a PC computer at school, but that wouldn't be practical for this.
    If I know the MacBook Pro with an Intel processor, it also runs Windows via Boot Camp, since the MaxiTPMS PAD runs only on Microsoft Windows. And then there's the Schrader EZ-Sensor PAD, part #27028. That device programs Schrader EZ-Sensors and reads OE and aftermarket sensors. It not only works on a Windows PC, it also works with an iPhone, an iPad, and an Android tablet or smartphone through the Schrader TPMS app. However, it's twice as expensive as an Autel MaxiTPMS PAD. If I was planning on replacing the Bartec Tech 400SD, I would go for the Bartec Tech 300ProC (with OBD-II connectivity) as the main tool and the Autel MaxiTPMS TS408 as the second activation tool. But that's something to think about when the time comes.
    Last edited by jtr990; 01-27-2019 at 10:14 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jtr990 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr990 View Post
    If I was planning on replacing the Bartec Tech 400SD, I would go for the Bartec Tech 300ProC (with OBD-II connectivity) as the main tool and the Autel MaxiTPMS TS408 as the second activation tool. But that's something to think about when the time comes.
    I am starting with nothing. I just want to read my existing sensors in both my Mirage & Forester, & I want to be able to clone those existing sensors (for a second set of snow tires or for replacing a faulty sensor in the future). I am not interested in doing anything more than that, nor am I concerned about tapping into the car's TPMS system. I just want sensors that work with the existing 4 codes stored in each vehicle.

I am considering the purchase of an Autel TS408 and replacement MX-Sensors some day. I am in no hurry, because I am not going to alter anything, until I purchase new tires again for either car.

Personally, I think the whole TPMS is silly, & I blame Ford/Firestone for that. I had a 1999 Explorer with Firestone tires, & it got new Goodyear rubber for free.

I willing to spend a little to keep the present TPMS working, & I do switch tires around quite often. I don't really need anything more than an Autel TS408 tool and replacement MX-Sensors to do what I want, do I? I see no need for a Bartec tool, or am I wrong?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I am starting with nothing. I just want to read my existing sensors in both my Mirage & Forester, & I want to be able to clone those existing sensors (for a second set of snow tires or for replacing a faulty sensor in the future). I am not interested in doing anything more than that, nor am I concerned about tapping into the car's TPMS system. I just want sensors that work with the existing 4 codes stored in each vehicle.

I am considering the purchase of an Autel TS408 and replacement MX-Sensors some day. I am in no hurry, because I am not going to alter anything, until I purchase new tires again for either car.

Personally, I think the whole TPMS is silly, & I blame Ford/Firestone for that. I had a 1999 Explorer with Firestone tires, & it got new Goodyear rubber for free.

I willing to spend a little to keep the present TPMS working, & I do switch tires around quite often. I don't really need anything more than an Autel TS408 tool and replacement MX-Sensors to do what I want, do I? I see no need for a Bartec tool, or am I wrong?
    If TPMS sensor ID cloning works for you, then the Autel TS408 is all you need. You don't need a Bartec Tech 300ProC, since it's mainly used for small tire and automotive shops. Plus, Bartec's software upgrade license costs vary from $300 for 1 year to $600 for 3 years, compared to the free lifetime updates Autel provides for the TS401, TS501, TS601, TS408, and TS508. Autel's TS608 software update is free for one year. After that, it's $250 to renew. If you have a dedicated OBD-II diagnostic tool (not a basic code reader), the TS408 is an excellent companion if you're planning to do an OBD relearn with a diagnostic scan tool plugged in.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr990 View Post
    If TPMS sensor ID cloning works for you, then the Autel TS408 is all you need. You don't need a Bartec Tech 300ProC, since it's mainly used for small tire and automotive shops. Plus, Bartec's software upgrade license costs vary from $300 for 1 year to $600 for 3 years, compared to the free lifetime updates Autel provides for the TS401, TS501, TS601, TS408, and TS508. Autel's TS608 software update is free for one year. After that, it's $250 to renew. If you have a dedicated OBD-II diagnostic tool (not a basic code reader), the TS408 is an excellent companion if you're planning to do an OBD relearn with a diagnostic scan tool plugged in.
    You keep bringing up a OBD-II diagnostic tool & expensive software upgrade license costs. I feel like that just confuses the issue here. This is a thread about Mirage owners wanting to clone their existing TMPS sensors. Cloned sensors can be used for a second set wheels (snow tires) or be used to replace a faulty/dead sensor without having to do anything else. The purpose of cloning sensors is to avoid everything you keep bringing up. I appreciate your extensive knowledge of all this stuff, & maybe you are trying to make a point that I am missing?

$128.75 with free shipping on Amazon - The MaxiTPMS TS408, which replaces Autel's TS401, is an easy-to-read handheld TPMS service tool that can activate and read Sensor ID, battery life and tire pressure and temperature. The TS408 can also program mx-sensors to replace OE sensors and can display On-Screen relearn procedures for All TPMS-equipped vehicles. Software updates are free for the life of this tools.

$30.00 with free shipping from Amazon - Autel 1 Sensor combines both 315MHz and 433MHz frequencies into one TPMS sensor with the highest industry vehicle coverage. The exclusive MX Sensor patented PRESS release valve stem design allows rubber and metal valve stems to freely interchange by hand without requiring a tool for sensor head fitting. Built to match or exceed OEM sensors in frequency strength and durability. MX Sensors are ID clone able with no relearn required and offer latest model vehicle coverage because they quickly

I really don't see the need to bring up anything else? A relatively cheap Autel TS-408 tool with lifetime updates & affordable clone-able Autel 1-Sensors that requires no relearn will do what I want. I appreciate you confirming that!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

jtr990 (01-28-2019),Top_Fuel (01-28-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Not a problem. Don't hesistate to ask.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    You keep bringing up a OBD-II diagnostic tool & expensive software upgrade license costs. I feel like that just confuses the issue here. This is a thread about Mirage owners wanting to clone their existing TMPS sensors. Cloned sensors can be used for a second set wheels (snow tires) or be used to replace a faulty/dead sensor without having to do anything else. The purpose of cloning sensors is to avoid everything you keep bringing up. I appreciate your extensive knowledge of all this stuff, & maybe you are trying to make a point that I am missing?
    I don't see it that way. For years, Mirage owners have discussed TPMS on this forum and have tried to program in their own TPMS sensors. Cloning has become the fallback approach - basically a workaround to the barriers set up against the DIY crowd.

I see cloning as a last resort - a method that doesn't really address TPMS registration. Top_Fuel discusses registration in post #4 and claims it impossible. jtr990 suggests it is possible, with the right equipment.

I am interested in learning about how to program/register new TPMS sensors into the Mirage. Even better if the gear needed is affordable. It wouldn't make sense to me to buy the tools & materials if they are more expensive than paying the dealer service department to do the work.

Another aspect not really covered much is I've heard European market Mirages (aka Space Star) have the capability to register two sets of TPMS sensors, and be able to switch between the two sets using the Mirage Multi Instrument Display. That would be cool.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)