Thread: Need help with 2017 mirage oem cruise control

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Need help with 2017 mirage oem cruise control

I recently saw that you can buy the controls for the steering wheel where all you had to do was plug and play. Well I took the stock blank piece off of my steering wheel and there isn’t a wire back there to plug up. I was told the wiring would be there but it’s not. What can I do?

It's not quite as easy as plug 'n' play.

Even if the wires were there, you still need to program the computer to enable cruise after you add the switch. You also need to ensure the brake/clutch cancel switches are there.

Check out these threads. There's a fair amount to read, but they explain it all:

- Add OEM Cruise to 17-18 US Mirages easily and without changing your steering wheel!

^ NOte the wire to connect the cruise switch is tucked away inside the wheel - NOT easy to spot. Maybe yours really is there.

Also see Daox's thread. It also explains/links to the ETACS computer programming requirement.

- Developing a cruise control kit - now for sale!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

OrcaNinja (12-29-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OrcaNinja View Post
    I recently saw that you can buy the controls for the steering wheel where all you had to do was plug and play. Well I took the stock blank piece off of my steering wheel and there isn’t a wire back there to plug up. I was told the wiring would be there but it’s not. What can I do?
    What has been shared before me may be better than what I am going to share. A reputable Mitsubishi dealership charges $599 (parts/labor) to add cruise to a Mirage. They use an after market system.

If you could just buy the parts for the steering wheel to add cruise, most everyone driving a base model Mirage would do that. Sadly, it's not that simple.

I want to say up front that I am not an expert or mechanic. If you want plug & play, adding an after market system is going to give you that more easily. Having said that, you still need to deal with switches for the brake (& the clutch for a manual).

I don't want to discourage you, because what you want can be done. It's just not a plug & play process from my understanding of it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

OrcaNinja (12-29-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I read threw all the post on this subject before attempting on my 2018 G4.
    First I made sure all plugs / wiring were present. Even then I thought my car would take the newer brake switch as some did. I was wrong my car took the older brake switch.
    I had to order the steering wheel crontrols the brake and clutch switches and the hardest part for me was getting etacs decoder to connect and allow me to activate it..
    The only reason I was able to do this was because of the knowledge of others on this site and there hard work.
    I suggest reading a lot on here, maybe posting pictures of your blanking plate removed so others can see. Maybe spot something you might have overlooked.
    This is by no means a simple plug and play. You have to activate it too in the etacs
    But totally worth it in the end.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Aron For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-30-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I just installed the cruise control on my 2017 mitsubishi mirage. Amazing that the stealership said it was not possible and they farm out the work at a cost of $600. They also warned me that if you do get it done, it may cause warranty issues. They mentioned a person who had cruise installed and had nothing but problems. After i found this forum and saw how easy it was, i thought i would take a shot at installing it and see if it really is that easy. I bought the switch that goes into the steering wheel off of ebay. Bought the mini vci cable. Since my car is not a standard, those were the only two things i needed to do. i booked my car into the stealership after i talked them into writing to my ecm, and they said they charge a minimum of 1 hour so $150 for this service. Well i got the mini vci for $50, downloaded the software, installed the switch, and viola.... I NOW HAVE CRUISE.... WOO HOO. Thanks guys for showing me how easy this was.

Stealership $600 canadian for install (with no guarantee that it will be working ok)
    my cost all in (excluding my labour) $170.31 Cdn.. ($133 US)

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kuilsam For This Useful Post:

88coltturbo (12-16-2021),Cobrajet (12-15-2021),CROSSBOLT (12-17-2021),inuvik (12-14-2021),MetroMPG (12-17-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuilsam View Post
    I just installed the cruise control on my 2017 mitsubishi mirage. Amazing that the stealership said it was not possible and they farm out the work at a cost of $600. They also warned me that if you do get it done, it may cause warranty issues. They mentioned a person who had cruise installed and had nothing but problems. After i found this forum and saw how easy it was, i thought i would take a shot at installing it and see if it really is that easy. I bought the switch that goes into the steering wheel off of ebay. Bought the mini vci cable. Since my car is not a standard, those were the only two things i needed to do. i booked my car into the stealership after i talked them into writing to my ecm, and they said they charge a minimum of 1 hour so $150 for this service. Well i got the mini vci for $50, downloaded the software, installed the switch, and viola.... I NOW HAVE CRUISE.... WOO HOO. Thanks guys for showing me how easy this was.

Stealership $600 canadian for install (with no guarantee that it will be working ok)
    my cost all in (excluding my labour) $170.31 Cdn.. ($133 US)
    This gives me hope for my 2022 ES 5sp!
    Can you post a link for the VCI cable?
    I've already bookmarked the steering wheel switch, but maybe post that as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Here is the vci cable I purchased off of eBay link https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Single-Cable...-127632-2357-0

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuilsam For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-17-2021)

Kuilsam - love to hear success stories like that. Thanks for letting us know!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Having difficulty finding the wire harness that plugs into the clock spring. I noticed after removing the airbag that my '17 G4 didn't have wires tucked inside the wheel. Anyone have a source?
    ty & HNY!