Thread: Clumsy Size 13 feet + Winter Boots = Frequent Trunk Opening

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Clumsy Size 13 feet + Winter Boots = Frequent Trunk Opening

So, I've had my Mirage G4 for about a month. A few times I noticed that things in the trunk were getting wet. I was thinking maybe I should tell the dealer about this. Then I remembered noticing the trunk lid being "popped" once or twice, and put 2 and 2 together. I had been driving with a partially open trunk during the frequently rainy weather we have here.

I get in and out of the car frequently during my newspaper delivery work. It turns out that if me foot even slightly bumps the trunk release lever, it pops it open:

Name:  trunk_latch.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  92.6 KB

Since I'm aware of it now, there is magically no more trunk leakage. Glad I discovered this before complaining to the dealer.

I would suggest a slight modification to this lever would be good, to make it require a little more effort to engage it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JonFromAltoona For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-29-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lol, weathertech floor mats have walls around this area. They are expensive but in my snowy/ salty area of the country are totally worth the investment. The walls prevent accidental tripping of the lever.. sometimes they even make it hard to activate when you wish too.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Aron For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-29-2018),Eggman (12-29-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Aron View Post
    Lol, weathertech floor mats have walls around this area. They are expensive but in my snowy/ salty area of the country are totally worth the investment. The walls prevent accidental tripping of the lever.. sometimes they even make it hard to activate when you wish too.
    I don't own a G4, & this is not a problem with the hatchback. Your suggestion, however, is a really good one! The WeatherTech floor & cargo mats seem very well made.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't own a G4, & this is not a problem with the hatchback. Your suggestion, however, is a really good one! The WeatherTech floor & cargo mats seem very well made.
    They are awesome. But not perfect. I have had them in my Mirage since it was new. They have held up very well against 109,000 miles of wet Pacific Northwest delivery duty.

I know this is a caveman solution, but you could always cut 1" off the end of the release lever so you actually have to reach between the gas flap release and the door sill with your finger to pull the trunk release.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I know this is a caveman solution, but you could always cut 1" off the end of the release lever so you actually have to reach between the gas flap release and the door sill with your finger to pull the trunk release.
    This is an interesting idea.

What about installing a flap over the levers - one that rests on top of the WeatherTech mat? That's one area I've noticed that accumulates dirt & debris.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  IMG_0845.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  96.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_0846.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  95.5 KB
    Here are a couple quick pics of the same area in my car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Weathertech mats look good. There would need to be just enough of a barrier, nothing major, to deflect my boot when I'm getting out in a hurry.