Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: DIY: Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I was going to say that if things went catastrophically wrong, I'd pull a Loren and throw in a new engine... But I decided against it.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I'm still jealous of you guys being able to read AFRs. What kind of set up are you using to read those AFRs from your O2 sensors? I'd like to be able to do this on my LS 460L.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'm still jealous of you guys being able to read AFRs. What kind of set up are you using to read those AFRs from your O2 sensors?
    Isn't this available through OBD-II?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Thanks for the info and warning Wubbalubbadubdub. I agree with pretty much everything you said. If I wanted a fun car, spending a few thousand on a different car is definitely a better way to go. I also agree about only spraying at higher rpms. It totally makes sense and is much safer. I could probably make my own progressive controller with an arduino, but I just don't see that being worth it. I also doubt the solenoid I chose will open and shut fast enough to do so smoothly.

As for how much power increase the 3A92 can handle, we have yet to see. Nobody has really pushed this thing that much from what I've seen. There are a few turbo and supercharged Mirages out there, but not a ton of info on them. The SpeedLab supercharger is putting down 104hp? Not sure if guys are blowing engines with it, but that is really impressive considering its a supercharger and not a turbo. That engine is pumping out a lot more than 104hp to spin up that supercharger. Of course, I won't be retarding timing like you mentioned, but I will have a lot colder charge air, so that hopefully makes up for something...

I am hoping that I will not do any damage to the engine. If I do, we will all learn something. But it will not be the end of the world. I am prepared to deal with the consequences.
    10-4

Having seen the internals, I can't imagine much more than than 160hp would make it. The internals on a 1.6 mx5 engine look a lot beefier and bend at 250lbft. (I turbocharged mine)

Also, being able to read plugs is absolutely necessary in v8 land so I would recommend reading up on that. When I was first getting everything dialed in, the first time I made a pass at a new power level, I would immediately turn off the car at the end of the track and coast in and park. Then I'd pull plug number 7, the leanest in the LS1, and read the plug. Yes, I drove around with a plug socket and ratchet in the car. You also don't want to idle too much before the pass and I always used new plugs for the first pass at a new power level. I've never read iridium plugs but I imagine it's similar.
    Last edited by Wubbalubbadubdub; 04-09-2019 at 10:15 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wubbalubbadubdub For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not in AFR numbers. Like 12.0 ~ 17.0. Those numbers I can understand. But instead it reads out (as I recall), -1 - 0 - 1. That doesn't mean anything to me. Earlier in this thread somebody mentioned that they can read true AFR numbers from the Mirage OBD-II.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Whats the update on this?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    No updates! I haven't worked on it in quite some time now.

I was hoping to work on it over summer but... time...
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Darn.

Now that Silver Bullet (mirage) is paid off, I'm itching for mods.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't dislike nitrous. Matter of fact, I think I like it very much. But I would be concerned that having a well dialed in nitrous system on a 78 hp Mirage would lead to ONE particular problem.

In my case, I would be having the engine tap that bottle heavily every time I drove it. Due to only having 78 hp, huffing nitrous would be very satisfying. So, I'd have to carry around a couple big-ass barrels of nitrous. And I'd have to take out a 2nd mortgage just to make my nitrous monthly payments. And carrying around all that nitrous would slow me back down to near stock levels. It would be a vicious cycle.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-27-2021)