Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 2014 Mirage DE 5 speed M/T

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New 2014 Mirage DE 5 speed M/T

Hello everyone!

Greetings from Florida!

About a week ago I purchased the Mirage because my other vehicles got old and unreliable so it was time for an upgrade!

I had to drive about 70 miles to a dealer that had one with a manual trans. I had to have the 5 speed, the automatic is probably fine but not my cup of tea.

Luckily the car is silver in color. I would have taken the only 5 speed they had in any color except the purple/pink.

So why get a Mirage?

Because I'm a macho guy and I knew I had to get something that will attract the ladies no matter what it's going to cost

Joking aside, I work at a Buick-GMC-Mitsubishi dealership and when I asked a sales person-what do we have on the lot that is a manual transmission? The answer was basically- nothing used but we got the new Mirages and you could probably get that in a 5 speed.

Well we only had the automatic transmission ones with no ETA on the 5 speeds so after checking out the A/T I liked the Mirage and needed the new ride ASAP hence the drive to another dealer.

So what do I not like about the car?

- There is really nothing that bothers me about the car sofar.

According to most reviews there is the body roll while cornering. Yes the body rolls a bit more than say my old mazda protege. It does not matter to me!

- Shifter "not precise"- You are not precise shifting To me it shifts fine.

- "All plastic door panels"- Thank you! This way in few years there is not going to be a dirt spot on the door panel where the elbow might rub the panel. (dust,sweat etc.)

- Turn signal audible click feedback could be a little louder I have to glance down to the cluster to see if the green arrow is flashing or not. Something I will get used to!

The only real wish I have is taller gearing would be nice. And I maybe saying that because I'm a hypermiler and like to see RPMs as low as possible.

Things I like about the car!

-Inexpensive! ( I know that is relative)

-Awesome MPGs!
    Less than 500 miles on the car sofar but I can now routinely get the MPG display to go 60+ after 14 plus miles from a cold start.
    Can not comment on MPG display accuracy until my next fillup!

-Sound of the engine! I think it sounds like a badass from the inside of the car

-Leg room, head clearance! I'm 6'4" and have plenty of room!

-Awesome low beam headlamp with a projector like sharp cutoff! Great high beam too!

- Steering! I like the steering most reviews complain about. Light at slow speeds and I think complete removal of assist at high speeds. I can take a gentle bend in the road with an initial setting of the steering wheel before the curve and it will hold a few degrees of steering wheel angle on it's own indefinitely.

However that is not the reason I like it. There is a particular road where trucks had caved ruts in the asphalt and I always see other vehicles darting all over the place on that road due to the wheels catching the side of the indentations. Well the little Mirage just keeps heading in a straight line like it's on rails!

Bottom line: I really like this little thing overall! I would drive it anywhere!

Cheers!

PS: Is there a five post rule for attaching images? When I hit the insert image button,my screen goes white out and have to reload the page. Could be my computer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

fifteenwindow (11-10-2013),Mikhail (11-10-2013)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Great review. I regularly get 5 litres pre 100 kms fuel eco. So saving money in the long term.
    As you can see by my photo I love pink so I won't hold that against you.
    I wish you a great time on this forum. I get alot out of it. From your Aussie friend Pinky.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 47.4 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you Pinky!

No offense intended with the color. It is actually a beautiful color just not for a guy's car (tipically)!

You are getting great mileage!

Thanks again!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Thanks for the detailed write up, 3dplane.

Question: since you work at a GM dealer, did you try out a Spark? It's probably the car's closest competitor in North America... so I'm curious to hear some thoughts there.

PS what's the name of the 'pink' car here? Isn't it something like passion purple? I forget.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi Darin!

I think our dealership does not sell the spark new, but the chevy dealer down the street does. I did not try it however walking by our quick lube bay the guys were about to put one in the air that was there for an oil change so I had a chance for a close look.

Walking up to it first impression was that it is smaller than the Mirage. Rear seat was split by a cup holder console so only seats two in the back. Had a cool two tone seat cover design!

I believe it was a 1.2L as well as the Mirage,but 4 cylinder vs.3.

Then once it was up high,we were admiring the tiny exhaust pipe diameter and CV axle size from below and that's how far we got looking at it.

I think the Mirage here comes in purple (no pink) and called plasma purple.

I remember the sales guy telling me the name of the red color "infra red" and I asked him so how can we see it? Got a blank stare there

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Welcome 3dplane.
    I remember the sales guy telling me the name of the red color "infra red" and I asked him so how can we see it? Got a blank stare there
    I had a dealer say (here is the new mirage is it really there).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiec View Post
    Welcome 3dplane.

I had a dealer say (here is the new mirage is it really there).
    So he had a sense of humor!

Thanks jamiec!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does anyone know what this is?

The little piece of metal held onto the bottom of the rear suspension beam by
    two bolts,pointing at the inside edge of the rear rim.
    (Looking toward the back of the left rear wheel)

Name:  131109_0011.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  51.4 KB

Is it some kind of snow/mud buildup scraper?
    Other side is the same way!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How about a 0-60 MPH run somewhat gently on the clutch.
    https://vimeo.com/78994858

Last edited by MetroMPG; 11-10-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: (embedded video)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-10-2013)

No idea what that metal piece is. Curious.

You didn't really wind it out in 1st gear in that acceleration run!

I have to laugh. I watched it twice - watched to see how it affected the average MPG gauge the second time. You're doing well!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)