Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof Rack & Roof Weight

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Roof Rack & Roof Weight

Does anyone know what is the maximum weight a roof rack on the 2014 Mirage can hold? Or, rather, how much weight can the car's roof hold?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Probably a pretty huge amount. The car has to be safe in a roll over... so at least ~2k lbs.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

cookiemonster (01-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Safe doesn't mean it won't dent and deform in a rollover, just that you might not die.

I would guess closer to 500 pounds as a limit without damaging anything. And a very quick Google search indicates that for most cars, 150-165 pounds is typical.

An equally quick Google search indicates that there is an "official" Mitsubishi roof rack. Which surely means that Mitsubishi has an answer to this question.
    Simplify and add lightness.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, thanks guys ... I am wondering about the safe limit of the official Mitsubishi roof rack without damaging it or the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Yes, thanks guys ... I am wondering about the safe limit of the official Mitsubishi roof rack without damaging it or the car.
    Mitsubishi has their own roof rack (approximately $300), but I don't see where they list the weight limit.

https://mparts411.com/accessories/20...oof-rack-kit-1

AutoAnything has a few recommended rook racks. When I entered my 2017 Mirage, it gives a roof limit of only 88 pounds for their Thule Square Bar Base Rack System. I compared the same system to 4-door Yaris, and it was 110 pounds. Thus, I assume they are setting limits according to the vehicle.

https://www.autoanything.com/roof-racks/10A50171.aspx

If you just want a cheap crossbar that you can take on and off easily, I would suggest a Malone crossbar. I use their cross bars and kayak accessories to haul my kayaks on my Subaru. My Subaru has factory roof rails, however. For the money, the Malone system is not all that bad.

A complete Malone universal cross bar system is only about $150. You may want something nicer, but this would probably do the job as well as more expensive roof rack system. Load capacity is listed @ 135 pounds & has a 5-year warranty.

https://maloneautoracks.com/VersaRai...System-50.html

Most roof racks aren't listed to haul a lot of weight. Liability is probably a concern for companies.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Well, you said maximum...

What are you thinking about carrying? Another Mirage upside down on your own?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Mitsubishi has their own roof rack (approximately $300), but I don't see where they list the weight limit.

https://mparts411.com/accessories/20...oof-rack-kit-1

AutoAnything has a few recommended rook racks. When I entered my 2017 Mirage, it gives a roof limit of only 88 pounds for their Thule Square Bar Base Rack System. I compared the same system to 4-door Yaris, and it was 110 pounds. Thus, I assume they are setting limits according to the vehicle.

https://www.autoanything.com/roof-racks/10A50171.aspx

If you just want a cheap crossbar that you can take on and off easily, I would suggest a Malone crossbar. I use their cross bars and kayak accessories to haul my kayaks on my Subaru. My Subaru has factory roof rails, however. For the money, the Malone system is not all that bad.

A complete Malone universal cross bar system is only about $150. You may want something nicer, but this would probably do the job as well as more expensive roof rack system. Load capacity is listed @ 135 pounds & has a 5-year warranty.

https://maloneautoracks.com/VersaRai...System-50.html

Most roof racks aren't listed to haul a lot of weight. Liability is probably a concern for companies.
    Thanks, I'll look into your suggestions, especially after discovering that the official Mitsubishi roof rack MZ314660 only carries ~76 pounds (34.5 kg):

https://shop.mitsubishi-motors.nl/wp...1/MZ314660.pdf

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Well, you said maximum...

What are you thinking about carrying? Another Mirage upside down on your own?
    I was thinking of carrying household items across country for a potential move.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've carried about 300 pounds with my roof box and 2 kayaks. That's about as high as I'd ever go.
    (blank signature)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    How about a hitch-mounted rack? With some rear spring help, a hitch rack has much less aerodynamic penalty and keeps the center of gravity lower. Less bug splatter, less chance of banging into low-overhead spots (think parking garage.) Can't really fit a kayak on a hitch rack though haha. Just some stuff to think about.

There's examples of both setups to be found around here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post: