Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Decided to gamble on the little car that every reviewer hates

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    ...I never registered the Mirage because of a messed up error with the bank when I got a loan so no sales tax, title, or plate fees were paid on it.
    You made out pretty well then. That would be about $1,000 around here! Good luck with the Outlander Sport. I didn't realize they were available with a manual transmission.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Good luck with the Outlander Sport. If I could get one of those with a manual and AWD I'd give it a good, hard look.
    Same here!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I didn't realize they were available with a manual transmission.
    Base model only. Two wheel drive only.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, only the base model with front drive gets a stick shift but that is okay for my purposes. I remember hearing somewhere that apparently this is the last year they offer a manual on it as well so I figured if I'm going to jump ship I better do it now haha.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://carbuzz.com/news/2020-mitsub...portant-option

Here's said article. It's actually what made me start thinking a bit about this being an option for family carting.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://carbuzz.com/news/2020-mitsub...portant-option

Here's said article. It's actually what made me start thinking a bit about this being an option for family carting.
    If you don't need awd, the new Outlander Sport should be a nice vehicle for you! AWD just adds weight, reduces mpg, & increases maintenance costs.

If I didn't really rely on AWD, I would have considered this option years ago. I have nasty snow covered hill roads to climb, & the old Subaru with 4 snow tires is hard to beat!

Forester & Renegade are losing or have lost their manual option, too. If I had to replace my manual Forester, there isn't one vehicle out there that inspires me. I'd probably look for a low mileage 1st/2nd generation Honda CRV or an Element, but those are becoming hard to find. I'm just not really impressed with today's vehicle, but that's swayed by the lack of manuals.

Jeep is always an option, but I have reservations about those, too. Being able to tow at least 1500+ pounds is important to me, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, not surprisingly Mitsubishi says not to tow with this thing as well but apparently the Eclipse Cross can tow 1500? Makes zero sense. Hell with them, I'm putting a hitch on it anyway like I did with the Mirage for my cargo basket and light duty towing needs.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, not surprisingly Mitsubishi says not to tow with this thing as well but apparently the Eclipse Cross can tow 1500? Makes zero sense. Hell with them, I'm putting a hitch on it anyway like I did with the Mirage for my cargo basket and light duty towing needs.
    When Subaru went from automatic transmissions to CVT, the towing capacity of the Forester dropped from 2500 pounds to 1500 pounds. I like the 2500 pound towing capacity of my 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X (manual). My 1st generation Honda CRV LX (AWD manual) had a 1500 pound towing capacity, and it always did fine, too. I've pulled a trailer at least 10 times these past two weeks, including today! I would be lost without it!

Since you have a manual Outlander Sport, I wouldn't sweat towing light stuff with it. Eclipse Cross and Outlander are both rated @ 1,500 pounds towing (which is not impressive). The exception is the Outlander GT (3.0L, V6, 6 speed automatic), which can tow 3,500 pounds. That's respectable.

I really believe the CVT in these vehicles is the limiting factor. Hitches are handy. Bike racks, rear cargo carrier, & the ability to pull a small trailer become an option.

Even the wimpy little Ford Ecosport is rated to tow 2,000 pounds. The difference? No CVT!

I don't see myself owning a CVT vehicle any time soon!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Even with the cvt overseas it is rated to tow like 2000ish pounds! I don't know why in the US so many cars are claimed to not be able to tow but in other countries they can. Even so, I found you can buy a class 3 hitch for the thing which is pretty impressive for a vehicle you're not supposed to tow stuff with.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Gambling again, even more of a gamble this time than the last... just took delivery of a 2019 Mirage SE in a really pretty blue.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-25-2019),MetroMPG (09-26-2019)