Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Decided to gamble on the little car that every reviewer hates

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Oh believe me, I know all about White Bear now... After already buying the car. Would have totally went through them instead if I would have known before hand. Trust me on that. My sales experience with the Madison dealer was one of the worst car buying experiences I've had. Heck, I recently bought FOUR vehicles from Lexus of Rockford and they all were stellar experiences so to go from that to the other place it was baffling at how much they sucked at selling me a car and worse was their finance lady who I think they actually fired for how worthless she was during our transaction so at least they did something about that. Honestly, with how pissed off I was at that place I should have just said no and went home but I had it made up in my mind that getting the car for what I did was a good deal but... Then it wasn't. Ugh.
    I wouldn't beat yourself up over this. This particular dealership, however, really saddens me. I want a nearby dealership to thrive. I visited them twice. It was the most horrible car dealership experience that I have ever had by far. No one else even comes close in my mind to being this bad. Even looking up a car on their website is the worst that I have ever seen. I have never been so turned off by a dealership in all my life, & I am in my mid-50s.

The first salesman I met that first day was a former student of mine, & that didn't even help. I used them for a test drive of a Mirage, because they were close enough to do it after school. I appreciate that I guess.

I bought my Mirage from a dealership that I had never even visited until almost a year after my purchase. That is how confident they made me feel. I did stop by to visit White Bear last summer for the first time. I had them do a recall job on way out to North Dakota. They were once a Saturn dealership. Saturn was know for their no nonsense pricing years ago. That practice may have carried over some to how they do business now. They also have other dealerships to compete with in the Twin Cities area.

Madison used to be a used car dealership only, & competition in their area is lacking. People are buying cars from them, however. Since they became a dealer, I am seeing more Mitsubishi vehicle in my community.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I guess I better hope to hell that my car gets fixed because I plan on making them replace the engine at some point under that 30 year 300,000 mile warranty they supposedly offer haha. Plus, it's not like I can sell this car and get another one since they depreciate so badly. Plus what would I even replace it? Yaris is dead and didn't have a 4 door hatch with a manual anyway except for a special order fancy model that cost the same a a Corolla, Daewoo (GM) is a bloody joke, and don't even get me started on Nissan build quality and reliability. Plus I look at cars on ease of service and Nissan is so stupid because you have to pull the intake manifold off to change the spark plugs which is assinine for a 4 cylinder.

I actually like the damn Mirage, too. It has killer heat and is an absolute beast in the crap weather we've been having. Really does remind me of a "modernized" Toyota Echo which will go down as being one of my all time favorite vehicles that I have owned... Ever. But, just like any other car, the dealers really have an effect on the Brand's percieved reputation. I mean Toyota has been number one for years and years but some people can't stand them thanks to a crap dealer. I have a feeling that Mitsubishi suffers this problem more than other car companies because the two dealers I've dealt with on this car so far (the local one in Rockford which is a joke it's so small and the place I bought it from) have been a joke. You know, I went to East Toyota to look at a Corolla hatchback they had and I remember leaving so angry at how stupid and worthless the sales and management team there was that I actually cussed them out for being such a waste of time. Maybe it's dealers in Madison that suck or something. Hell, the Lexus dealer tried to get a car from them for me (dealer trade) and they refused to give it up and low and behold those morons still have it and nobody wants it because it's a manual. Idiots.

And yeah, the Madison Mitsubishi dealer's recent advertising says they are now the number one dealer in the country for Mitsubishi sales so... Well... That's something maybe. Probably bad for Mitsubishi because of how angry people will eventually be dealing with those guys.

Also, I apologise for rambling on... I'm so damn angry about this whole situation I don't know when to shut the hell up. Sorry!
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I brought it to the selling dealer and requested a printout and sure enough it's off a bit. So they ordered an axle and now I have to wait for it to show up.
    The rear camber angle on the right side is out of spec on my '15 (by 0.2 degrees), and always has been. Since I don't get any abnormal tire wear or handling problems I just figured it was not worth all the hassle of trying to get it replaced. Some people have reported that their new replacement axle is further out of spec than their old one was!

Did they tell you exactly what measurement was out of specification? Camber? Toe-in? Since you have already initiated the process you might as well let them replace it, but a tiny camber problem isn't really too big of a deal.

Be thankful you are having this problem in 2019 and not 2015, as some of us did. We had many dealerships dragging their feet about this problem until Mitsubishi officially recognized the issue.

Just for comparison, my buddy has a 2016 Prius C4 that was recently involved in an accident. Those cars have unadjustable rear axles as well, and his car started chewing up rear tires as soon as the body shop had 'fixed' it and he got it back. He had to lawyer-up, because the only solution is a new axle and the insurance company is resisting. Honda sold a lot of Fits a few years ago with the same rear axle problem. Honda's solution? Change the rear axle specs so cars that are out of spec are now officially IN spec!

This issue is not specific to the Mirage or Mitsubishi, but Mitsubishi is at least handling well.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-15-2019),Top_Fuel (02-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I should have just said no and went home but I had it made up in my mind that getting the car for what I did was a good deal but... Then it wasn't. Ugh.
    In other words, a typical new car buying experience?

$12,500 out the door is still fantastic for a new car. You're not on the hook financially for the axle problem. If the BS "protection" packages were a condition for getting $4,100 for a $280 car, it sounds like you still came out ahead. Not everyone is lucky enough to get a Mirage for under $10k, and Mark was buying the previous year's model, which dealers are more eager to get rid of.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    In other words, a typical new car buying experience?

$12,500 out the door is still fantastic for a new car. You're not on the hook financially for the axle problem. If the BS "protection" packages were a condition for getting $4,100 for a $280 car, it sounds like you still came out ahead. Not everyone is lucky enough to get a Mirage for under $10k, and Mark was buying the previous year's model, which dealers are more eager to get rid of.
    I totally agree with everything Scratchpaddy has said. Your deal on your Mirage was still a good one. My earlier point was more about the buying experience, & I really haven't shared all the lame practices that I sensed at this one dealership, because quite frankly I want them to survive. I actually thought about writing to the owners, but I don't sense it would make a difference. Once I decided to buy a new Mirage, they just totally turned me off to them.

I found it hard to compare apples-to-apples when shopping for a Mirage, because everyone lists their cars differently. Thus, I just cut through the BS, & point blankly ask what is your out-the-door price? Doing that sort helps eliminate some of the lame extras they may want to add on, because they know that they may be competing with someone else's price. I also didn't have a trade to deal with. That simplified things in my case.

Your 2019 Mirage ES (manual) has some very nice features that you wouldn't find on my 2017. My Mirage ES (manual) doesn't have a back up camera, 6-way adjustable driver's seat, or cruise control. My steering wheel is plain with no buttons. Thus, you do have a much nicer package in my mind. Actually, I believe the 2019 Mirage ES has become a very nice value. If wheels are important to someone, a person can always add some nice alloy wheels and use the steel rims for winter tires.

Thus, you have some really nice features that my car doesn't have. I would have had to buy the 2017 Mirage SE (manual) to get most of those features, & the 2018-19 SE manual doesn't even exist. Thus, they have made the base level a nicer car by adding a few things each year.

If rear axles are on back order, that is not something the dealership can control. It sounds like they are doing what they can for you. A free tire rotation would be nice, but hopefully your new rear axle will be here sooner than later.

I get miffed when dealerships start throwing expensive garbage into a car deal, & I was trying to address that point more than anything. Not all Mitsubishi dealerships are created equal. I do think the company could monitor the practices of their dealerships better. I have never been so turned off by a dealership. Yet, I know they are selling vehicles in spite of it all. Maybe that says something good about Mitsubishi? Others are seeing the value in their vehicles.

Subaru replaced the engine in my 2011 Forester last Fall. I had an appointment for this work to be done, but it still took 6 weeks. They were up front and honest, & they gave me a brand new Outback as a loaner vehicle during that time. Under the circumstances, I chose to be patient about it all. I didn't buy the car from this Madison dealership, & I do my own oil changes. Yet, they didn't question anything.

The 6-week delay was the result of their lead mechanic having a sick child. They were honest about it. Replacing the short block of a boxer engine is not an easy job, & they wanted their best mechanic to do it. I have not had any problems since getting it back. If I had pushed the issue, the job may not have been done right. Trips back & forth to Madison are not convenient for me. I might add - they had 7 more boxer engines to replace after mine was done.

You should be feel good about your car, and I wouldn't give up hope. Hopefully, your rear axle will show up soon. It's also ok to vent. I could relate to where you coming from I guess!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Did they tell you exactly what measurement was out of specification? Camber? Toe-in? Since you have already initiated the process you might as well let them replace it, but a tiny camber problem isn't really too big of a deal..
    It was something to do with the toe in. I really need to get the paper out of the car and take a picture of it. But yeah, if the replacement axle isn't right then the car is going to sit there until they fix it properly. I'll drive my creaky old Avalon around if I absolutely need to (or it would be nice if they provided a loaner vehicle but I'm not holding my breath there) until it's fixed or until they end up failing to fix it and switch it out for another one lol.

As for being a 2019 and having more stuff, yeah that's very true. The car wouldn't have been an option for me if it didn't have cruise control or the height adjusting seat because of my lame health issues. I mean, now I see how easy it would have been for me to add said stuff if I would have bought a leftover 2018 it wouldn't have been that big of a deal. I added lots of features to my base model 2016 Yaris so I don't mind that game a little bit. Having the reverse camera is really nice though. Comes in handy for parking tightly in the driveway at home.

Honestly, I would have paid a little extra for the SE model if it had a stick though... I personally really like the keyless push to start (my corolla has that), the armrest would have been nice, and I think it has foglights standard too? Plus the SE has the Android and Apple radio junk that I don't care about and a CD player which I would have liked. I'm guessing it's really not that much of a price difference on the window sticker between the ES and the SE but I can't really recall since I didn't look.

Plus, I don't hate my car. I hope I'm not giving off that impression. I actually am quite fond of the thing. I just despise the dealer and their ways. Mitsubishi corporate called me today and even they said they tried calling the service department a few times and didn't get a hold of anyone so they were not pleased. They weren't too happy that the place was tarnishing Mitsubishi's brand image, that's for sure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Plus, I don't hate my car. I hope I'm not giving off that impression. I actually am quite fond of the thing. I just despise the dealer and their ways. Mitsubishi corporate called me today and even they said they tried calling the service department a few times and didn't get a hold of anyone so they were not pleased. They weren't too happy that the place was tarnishing Mitsubishi's brand image, that's for sure.
    "All new cars must include a backup camera by May 2018. That's the latest from the federal government's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which recently announced the finalized regulation on backup cameras after years of back-and-forth."

Backup cameras in new cars are no longer an option. All 2018+ models are going to have them as mandated standard equipment. It's not much different than having airbags in your car. In your case, picking a 2019 over a 2018 gave you cruise control & the 6-way adjustable driver's seat. If wanted a manual, you don't have any other trim choices to pick from. I would just be happy with what you have & move on!

I feel Cobrajet gave you some very good advice to consider. Your rear axle may not be that bad. A replacement axle could be worst than the one you have now. That's not a fun thought, but it is possible.

I will take this one step further. The dealership could be just saying your axle is bad. I'm sure Mitsubishi compensates the dealership to perform this type of warranty work. I would not put it past this dealership to do this. Since you asked to have this checked, they may be taking advantage of that & nothing more. I know that may sound lame, but it would not surprise me in this case.

I would pay an independent mechanic to check the alignment first. If my alignment is truly off, then it goes back to the dealership for service. I wouldn't share what I already know either. The dealership would have to check it themselves to confirm that it is off before ordering a replacement rear axle anyways. Whether they confirm the problem or deny it, you already know the answer this way.

A piece of paper with axle numbers on it from that dealership would mean nothing to me, & I am being very sincere in saying that. You may or may not have a problem? Given the circumstances, I would get a second opinion.

Just because you bought the car from them doesn't mean you have to use them for service. I would just be honest with another dealership & say you made a huge mistake buying elsewhere. I wish I knew of a better dealership in our part of the country. Since I don't live all that far from you, it's a concern I have myself. I don't see myself ever using the dealership you are discussing here, even though they are the closest to me.

Getting a second opinion will cost you something, but it may be worth it in this case. I would have an independent mechanic check my replacement axle, too.

It's pretty sad with Mitsubishi Corporate can't even get a hold of one of their own dealerships. Are they screening their calls from corporate????? Who knows?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    It was something to do with the toe in. I really need to get the paper out of the car and take a picture of it.
    My right rear wheel tips in at the top a tiny bit more than it should compared to the other three wheels. Not enough to cause a noticeable problem. However, all four of my wheels are pointed in the same direction. A toe-in problem means that yours aren't. That could be a much bigger issue.

I'd be very curious to see your alignment printout.

For the record, dealerships generally don't like doing warranty work...especially busy dealerships. Why? Because the factory compensates the dealership at a much lower rate than the dealership would charge a customer on a non-warranty, fee-for-service basis. If the service department is doing a brisk business that means every mandatory warranty job may be keeping a higher paying non-warranty job out of the garage.

Sometimes, they get as much as 50% less for warranty work. The labor book may say six hours for a job as far as customer billing goes, but the factory knows that an experienced tech should be able to do it in 3.5. So 3.5 is what they pay. If a tech is only getting paid for 3.5 hours then they are going to do their damnedest to get the job done in 3.5 hours. Otherwise, they are working for free from 3.5 hours onward. Techs being rushed often doesn't work out well for owners.

I'd be willing to bet the service manager was really hoping that alignment printout would be all green!
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 02-16-2019 at 01:06 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I'd be very curious to see your alignment printout.
    +1

Toe is the primary alignment angle that affects tire wear. Ideally your left/right toe should be 0 on the rear axle...meaning that both wheels are pointing perfectly straight ahead. If one of your rear tires is pointing inward (positive toe...or "toe in"), then it will sort of scrub along the road as the car moves. This is why Mirages with severe rear toe problems can wipe out a rear tire in 10K miles.

We're not trying to freak you out...your problem may not be that bad. But scan that alignment sheet and post it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  IMG_20190216_004358970.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  96.0 KB

Ask and ye shall receive. I might take it to another local place for an alignment check just to confirm. I know when it was at the dealer they did adjust the front end a little bit and it drove a bit nicer on the highway.

Also, yeah, Mitsubishi pays way less than customer rate I would imagine so they don't want to replace the axle unless they have to. Every manufacturer is guilty of that I'm sure. I know first-hand Toyota operates like that, too.