Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Decided to gamble on the little car that every reviewer hates

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    For the rear toe, they're using the " (inch or second) symbol instead of ° (degree). Are they using different units for some reason?
    Hmm...that's a good catch and it's not a typo! I didn't notice that. I didn't have my glasses on and I thought that blurry thing behind the numbers was a degree symbol.

I've seen alignment specifications expressed multiple ways including degrees, minutes/seconds, mm, and inches. Since his alignment was done in inches, we'll have to convert the values to degrees to see what those specs really mean.

I'm not completely sure how to do that. Here's the topic on the Corvette Forum...
    Converting Toe Inches to Degrees

And here's a calculator:
    https://robrobinette.com/ConvertToeInchesToDegrees.htm

I have to finish installing a water softener so someone else take a shot at it...

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 02-18-2019 at 12:13 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh no, trigonometry!

Thanks for clearing that up about the units, Top Fuel. I'm glad we have computers so we can calculate this visually. Much easier...

Mirage tire diameter is 22.4", and inch toe is measured as the left/right difference between the back and front of the tire. To convert Dodge Aries K's numbers of 0.13" left and 0.02" right to degrees:

So, yes, your left rear toe is a little out from the 0.28° the spec allows.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scratchpaddy For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-17-2019),Top_Fuel (02-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mirage tire diameter is 22.4"...
    OK...the Corvette guys say to use the wheel diameter in the calculation...not the tire diameter. The reason being that the alignment shop sets up the equipment on the wheels and not the tires. How much of a difference does that make?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, regardless of all this I'm going to take it in to somewhere around here just to get a second paper with numbers on it.

But yes, the paper from the dealer the toe is listed in inches, not degrees.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    ...regardless of all this I'm going to take it in to somewhere around here just to get a second paper with numbers on it.
    I think that's a good idea. I would (and did) do the same thing. If Scratchpaddy's calculations are correct, then I retract everything I said about your axle being OK. If your rear axle left toe is 0.33° then I would take a shot at a replacement.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    OK...the Corvette guys say to use the wheel diameter in the calculation...not the tire diameter. The reason being that the alignment shop sets up the equipment on the wheels and not the tires. How much of a difference does that make?
    The Corvette guys are confused. Everything else I could find says toe is measured to the edge of the tire. The equipment locks onto the rim, yes, but the values the machine shows are calculated out to the edge of the tire.

The report says toe max tolerance is 0.11". If you convert to angle using the tire diameter of 22.44", that's exactly 0.28°, which matches the reports we've seen shown in degrees. Using the wheel diameter instead gives a much bigger angle (0.41°).

Isn't this fun?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scratchpaddy For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The report says toe max tolerance is 0.11". If you convert to angle using the tire diameter of 22.44", that's exactly 0.28°, which matches the reports we've seen shown in degrees.
    Thanks for clearing that up. It sounds like his dealer is using the same specs that we have been using...so that's good. They just need to click the box on the alignment software where it says "display all results in degrees" or something.

I was having trouble with THIS online calculator for converting inches to degrees because it asks for TOTAL TOE for both wheels on the axle. So when I put .22" (.11" for each wheel) and the tire diameter (22.44") into the calculator, I also get a toe limit of 0.28° for each wheel.

Name:  calculator.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  54.1 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So, got an update. Called a Mitsubishi dealer in Elgin that was rated by Mitsubishi as a Diamond Chapter of Excellence so I figured it was worth a shot. They were super nice on the phone and asked me to bring it in. I showed them the paperwork from the other place and from just tires (which was worthless... It said the back was fine and the front was so skewed that it would have made the car undrivable) and explained the situation. They also looked into this apparent back order of rear axles and said there is SEVEN of them sitting in the warehouse in Georgia so I don't know what to make of that. At any rate they had someone drive the car and they said it doesn't seem to drive right and sent it to get the alignment checked (they don't have an alignment machine there but send them to a specialty alignment shop they work with) and least get the front set properly. They sent me home with a loaner Eclipse Cross and I'm waiting to hear back the results.

Speaking of, I tried to talk to the local dealer about it again and was told by the service advisor that it's a cheap junky car and that you get what you pay for. I got mad and said even so it was still 5 figures so it's not pocket change for me! Absolutely unacceptable. They had an appointment set for me tomorrow but they can piss off. I'll cancel that tomorrow.

On a final note of this fun filled saga of the day, the eclipse cross has a 1.5L turbo engine that just NEEDS to be put into a Mirage. While adequate for the 3100 pound all wheel drive SUV thing, it would be an absolute Savage in the sub 2000 pound Mirage.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (02-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    They had an appointment set for me tomorrow but they can piss off. I'll cancel that tomorrow.
    Don't cancel it. That is a courtesy they don't appear to deserve. Just stand them up.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-20-2019),midgeinc (02-20-2019),poorman1 (03-01-2019),Pryme (02-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Speaking of, I tried to talk to the local dealer about it again and was told by the service advisor that it's a cheap junky car and that you get what you pay for. I got mad and said even so it was still 5 figures so it's not pocket change for me! Absolutely unacceptable. They had an appointment set for me tomorrow but they can piss off. I'll cancel that tomorrow.
    If I had this conversation with a Mitsubishi service advisor, I would request a meeting with the owner of the dealership and this same service advisor. I would then ask the service advisor to explain his points more thoroughly with the owner of the dealership present. If I didn't sense any remorse, I would take it to the next level by contacting Mitsubishi. I wouldn't let a prick like that get off the hook so easily. I can't believe he's paid to trash the Mirage, & someone should probably remind him of that!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-01-2019),Pryme (02-20-2019)