Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rockford Fosgate OEM Accessory Add on

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Rockford Fosgate OEM Accessory Add on

I recently purchased a 2019 Mirage ES 5 speed. The car came with what's called "Display Audio" which is a 7 inch touch screen that has bluetooth, USB, and HD Radio tuner. It also uses the display for the reverse camera. It isn't the one that supports Apple carplay or android auto which I could care less about anyway.

So the big issue for me is that the radio isn't loud enough to crank it up. Granted, I'm spoiled by my Tacoma's JBL system and the really nice Premium Entune audio system in my Corolla hatchback but even my gutted out Yaris race car has better audio than this thing. I've tried to search on here and saw maybe one person installed the factory Rockford Fosgate system and there wasn't anything said about it being louder than the stock setup only that it sounded better. Doing some basic research shows on Rockford's website that it's a 5 channel system running 6 speakers which would mean it powers the stock speakers as well as it's little sub box thing. Anybody on here have a Mirage with this setup? I know I saw one a few years ago and remember it thumped pretty good for what it was but I sadly can't recall how loud it got.

Also, I'm not wanting to switch out the headunit for an aftermarket one because that encourages theft and I do have to take the car into some seedy areas so a stock headunit does help alleviate someone smashing the window and stealing it.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Not sure if you saw this. Forum member Iggypooper installed a Rockford Fosgate kit on their Mirage in early 2017.

Has Anyone Installed the Rokford Fosgate Stereo System on their '17?

Quote Originally Posted by Iggypooper View Post
    I purchased the kit when I bought the car a couple weeks ago (17 Mirage SE) and I got the kit to the house today.

On the top page of the installation instruction sheets says in all caps:

IF THIS IS BEING INSTALLED IN A MIRAGE WITH DISPLAY AUDIO WITH SMARTPHONE LINK RADIO HEADUNIT THEN A REFLASH OF AMPLIFIER MUST BE PERFORMED. FAILING TO PERFORM THE REFLASH CAN RESULT IN ISSUES WITH THE SOUND QUALITY THAT COMES FROM THE FACTORY SPEAKERS.

If anyone has installed this on their '17 (SE or GT) can you comment on sound quality or if it is a real necessity to have the amp reflashed? I know I'm probably going to have to head back to the dealership if the sound is really awful but if anyone has some insight that would be awesome.

TIA
    In that same thread forum member djulie1 discusses installing a Rockford Fosgate kit in their Mirage with display audio.

Quote Originally Posted by djulie1 View Post
    I traded in my tired 14 model cvt de mirage last night for brand spanking new orange loaded GT Mirage ,,,YAYY!!
    anyone have an excellent deal on the audio upgrade. I got my dealer down to 500.00 but that was as low as I could find .
    If so let me know ,,thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djulie1 View Post
    Im installing this now in my new 2017 GT..and im having trouble..its all simple except where Im trying to wire head unit..
    The "T" harness will not plug into back of head unit? It has to be something simple im missing. I appreciate any input you have.
    The full thread is a good read and not terribly long - djulie1 was able to reflash the new amp for the display audio. Both forum members say good things about the kit.

I hope this helps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Also check out this thread so you can see what the factory speakers look like. It's hard to imagine any significant audio upgrade that doesn't involve tossing out the factory door speakers...

DIY Front speaker replacement

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am also interested as I see a G4 version of the Rockford system listed in accessories
    I don't know what would be involved but it is kinda tempting.
    I wish they would list more info on the website

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did see that thread about it but no mentions of volume. I'm guessing they thought it was okay because they didn't complain about it haha.

And yeah, those stock speakers are pretty damn horrible looking. Extra cheap!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I ordered the system. I'll let y'all know if it's worth the money or if it doesn't solve my issue with it not being loud enough... and man if that happens I'll be a sad guy for sure since it's not necessarily cheap.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Well, I ordered the system. I'll let y'all know if it's worth the money or if it doesn't solve my issue with it not being loud enough... and man if that happens I'll be a sad guy for sure since it's not necessarily cheap.
    I must admit that I have to turn up my radio to about 30 or above if I really want to listen to something. 30 is about 2/3 volume. Having said that, I wouldn't listen to something at full volume which 45. It's way to loud for me, & my hearing is not the best.

It's not the best sounding system in the world, but I really don't mind it. I hope you like your new one, however.

If I had to replace my Mirage tomorrow with another one, a Daox rear sway bar would be my first investment. I am not a sales rep., nor do I get a commission for saying that either!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Daox rear sway bar is on my list of things to get after seeing all the good stuff about it here! Just need to make some more money first after blowing it on the expensive Rockford Fosgate thing. I'm really second guessing ordering that since for that money I could have bought the sway bar, the seats out of the wrecked GT, and made my first payment but... ehhh... oh well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hey Karl it might be the best modification you make on your Mirage. Other's who have installed the RF kit have praised it.

Seems to me the Mirage audio lacks frequency range. Maybe this tuned amp & sub is all that's needed to fill things out.

I look forward to hearing your opinion of it. Here's hoping it does the job.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I installed the audio system upgrade a few days ago. It wasn't too hard but fortunately I had a friend help me with the under dash stuff since I'm still not 100% recovered from my knee surgery (I can't kneel or squat at all right now). Like other's have mentioned, I didn't drill a hole into the body work to attach the amplifier bracket and it was plenty tight already. It came with a ridiculous amount of foam tape pieces to prevent rattles and lots of zip ties to attach the wiring to existing harnesses. Instructions were slightly off because of changes from the 14-15 to the 17+ cars but I figured it out well enough. Lots of pictures, although the brightness of the photos could have been a bit better to help clarify things.

Anyway, the sound quality. I haven't had the amp reflashed yet like you're supposed to with the display audio systems but the little subwoofer definitely does it's job. While it's not on par with my truck's JBL audio system, it's way better than the radio was alone. Still not loud enough for my personal taste but it is a pretty big improvement over the stock volume level. Once I get the amp reflashed I will report back with my findings.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-18-2019),Top_Fuel (01-18-2019)