Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thrumpy :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Thrumpy
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Silver
    Manual 5 speed

Firs pic car stock. Next pics I added smooth wheel covers for better aero : ) (homemade).

Also parking lights in headlight replaced with LEDs.
    Taillight LEDs has been ordered.

Comments: 30 / Views: 28150
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ha ha thank you sir! Don't forget my Florida warm temperature advantage!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    wow, thx a lot for sharing your secrets.

The 92.7 MPG seems like from a different planet :-)

My Mirage takes me mostly through a 6 miles stop&go commute, so I found your tip about the 3rd gear start particularly interesting. Are you saying you accelerate in third from a full stop?

I would also like to drive slower, but at the moment I tend to give in to the tailgaters kissing my rear bumper.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

I think what he meant was he ignores the ECO light while accelerating in 1st & 2nd, and then tries to keep it lit while in 3rd and above.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Oh - one more question 3dplane...

Have you installed a kill switch, or are you using the key? If using the key, does it affect the odometer/trip computer accuracy (is it off very briefly each time you switch between On > OFF > On)?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Now you need a blacked out front to match them wheel covers ;P

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    wow, thx a lot for sharing your secrets.

The 92.7 MPG seems like from a different planet :-)

My Mirage takes me mostly through a 6 miles stop&go commute, so I found your tip about the 3rd gear start particularly interesting. Are you saying you accelerate in third from a full stop?

I would also like to drive slower, but at the moment I tend to give in to the tailgaters kissing my rear bumper.
    Nope not accelerating in third gear from full stop. Just like MetroMPG said, I was referring to the ECO light as to give an idea of how I generally accelerate. In 1st and 2nd gear the ECO light is not lit.When I shift into 3rd,it lights up,and I make it stay lit by slowly depressing the accelerator pedal. Almost like following the engine RPM rising with the pedal being slowly depressed.
    (keeping engine load low)
    Usually I skip 4th gear (unless climbing a hill) and go from 3rd to 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Oh - one more question 3dplane...

Have you installed a kill switch, or are you using the key? If using the key, does it affect the odometer/trip computer accuracy (is it off very briefly each time you switch between On > OFF > On)?
    No kill switch. It would be nice though. I keep wondering how long my ignition lock cylinder is going to last.

I have not looked at electrical schematics for a kill switch yet. Then I would be wondering if it is going to mess with an ECU or two,like the LED tail lights did?

For now it is key off,wait a second,key back on and there is no telling how long exactly the odometer takes to reboot before it starts to actually read/count pulses or signals. The display itself takes one or two seconds to return after the key is turned back on. (plus key off time).

So yes that makes it miss out on some distance registered over the course of a tank of fuel but I have to let it slide for now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-27-2014)

Thanks for the explanation. Kill switch would certainly be helpful.

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    For now it is key off,wait a second,key back on and there is no telling how long exactly the odometer takes to reboot before it starts to actually read/count pulses or signals. The display itself takes one or two seconds to return after the key is turned back on. (plus key off time).

So yes that makes it miss out on some distance registered over the course of a tank of fuel but I have to let it slide for now.
    My observation from my daily bump-from-parking-position attempts is that once the engine starts after rolling around with ACC, it immediately displays a MPG value in the high 40 but when I then put in the correct gear to drive away it soon drops to the typical low starting values.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Hi, I´m driving very economical, too, but without coasting or stopping the engine while driving. I even switch off start-stop, because the effect is too little in my opinion.

I drive about 70 km on my trip to work and back home, about 50 km highway behind trucks on the right lane (ca. 55 mph/90 kph), 16 km country roads (50 mph/80 kph maximum speed) and the rest through villages and city.

Until now I reached 3.4 l/100 km when temperature was above 25 °C and 3.6 l/100 km when temperature was around 10 °C. My first fill was 3.9 l/100 km and my second fill 3.7 l/100 km, but I think in summer it will get even better.

The european Space Star has a longer gear ratio, therefore fuel economy might be even better. I wonder what fuel economy I could reach when using all your "tricks".
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One way to find out! Use all the tricks!

Yes I saw your fuel log,you are doing great! Keep pushing it!