Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from TN, USA!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Greetings from TN, USA!

Hi there!

I recently bought a 2018 GT and loving it so far.

Story time:
    For the past 5 years, I was driving a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback and it just went over 100k miles. My wife's cousin, who's caring for her grandparents, had a less than reliable car and are not in a position to buy a decent used car. The Focus was already paid off so we figured we could donate it to her cousin who couldn't find a better job because of the transportation issue. So I researched for a replacement car under $18k pretty thoroughly and found the Honda Fit. It was perfect; great cargo, gas mileage, and Android Auto. To my sadness, I found out that the base model, LX, did not include Android Auto and the model up was just out of our budget. So, because the Ford Focus is an extremely reliable car (as long as it has standard transmission), we decided to get another one. Unfortunately, the one Focus we found with Android Auto had an automatic transmission (major issues with those trans around 50k). We found a used manual Focus at a local Mitsubishi dealership. Alas, no AA. So, I told the salesman what I was looking for: hatchback with over 30mpg that included AA under $18. He then introduced me to the Mirage! Apparently the upgrade from an SE to a GT was only $500 extra which included better wheels (I guess), headlights (I guess), and heated seats (sold!).

I had not seen this on Autotrader or the other car sites and was pleased with the test drive. It is an automatic transmission, which I'm getting used to rather quickly. I had not known that Mitsubishi had so few dealerships; my town has 1 of 2 in Tennessee.

So far, I'm digging this little car.

A few minor things I'm not digging so much:
    • Non-telesoping steering wheel/column (My arms are either extended all of the way or my knees are touching the column or I'm sitting straight up uncomfortably)
    • Steering seems a bit stiffer than the Focus
    • Cargo floor is surprisingly flimsy, needs to be reinforced
    • My left elbow has nothing to rest on!
    • Radio turns on when the car does; I wish it would start with 'A/V Off'
    • Sun glare off of the dash! I experienced this one today for the first time and will be looking for a dash cover quickly.
    • Costco doesn't sell 175/55R15 tires

So the Focus was a little better in the comfort department but I'm extremely excited about this car. I hope I can find information on this forum to make it even better. I've read something about a sway-bar upgrade here.

Glad to join this community!
    -Rowsdower

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rowsdower For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site. Glad to hear you're liking the new Mirage.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Welcome to the site. Glad to hear you're liking the new Mirage.
    Thanks Daox.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I dig that blue and those wheels!
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowsdower View Post
    ...Apparently the upgrade from an SE to a GT was only $500 extra which included better wheels (I guess), headlights (I guess), and heated seats (sold!).
    The list price of those HID headlight assemblies in the GT is $850 EACH from Mitsubishi. So I'd say $500 for those 3 extras is not a bad deal!

...Costco doesn't sell 175/55R15 tires
    Don't sweat it. The tire sizes used on the Mirage are fairly unusual. I think a 175-55-15 has only been used on one other car in the US in the last 15+ years. It was used as the rear tire on older Smart cars. A 185-55-15 will work just fine and will give you some more brand/type options when tire shopping.

Whether it has 14 or 15" wheels, many Mirage owners have found that going to a non-OEM size opens up a much better selection of tires...at much more reasonable prices! If you took a survey I think you would find that as soon as the OEM tires wear out, at least half of us have gone to a non-stock tire size to get a better tire value.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-08-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowsdower View Post
    [*]Radio turns on when the car does; I wish it would start with 'A/V Off'
    A hint, your stereo turning on when you start the car, hold the power/volume knob for 3 or so seconds, that turns off the stereo in the car. At least in the older models, mine is a 2014.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-08-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I dig that blue and those wheels!
    Thanks. I never thought I'd ever have a bright blue car but it's quickly growing on me. The wheels are definitely pleasant.
    Last edited by Rowsdower; 01-08-2019 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Formatting

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Whether it has 14 or 15" wheels, many Mirage owners have found that going to a non-OEM size opens up a much better selection of tires...at much more reasonable prices! If you took a survey I think you would find that as soon as the OEM tires wear out, at least half of us have gone to a non-stock tire size to get a better tire value.
    That is great to know, thanks!
    Last edited by Rowsdower; 01-08-2019 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Formatting

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    A hint, your stereo turning on when you start the car, hold the power/volume knob for 3 or so seconds, that turns off the stereo in the car. At least in the older models, mine is a 2014.
    Thanks. I think what is happening is that when I turn it off while playing a podcast, it defaults to the AM radio when I turn it back on (before my phone is connected). I just need to get into the habit of turning the radio off before I unplug my phone.

Welcome to the forum, Rowsdower!

Good for you, donating your old Focus to help out a family member. Nice.

How's your MPG compared to the Focus so far? What do you think of the little 3-banger?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)