Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone own a combination TPMS tool for personal use?

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Has anyone own a combination TPMS tool for personal use?

Looking around at the posts related to Tire-Pressure Monitoring Systems on a few Mitsubishi forums for quite some time, and we all know Canadian-market Mirages didn't come with TPMS as our American neighbors, I have a few questions to ask for our Southern friends.

How many people in this forum own a combination TPMS tool, like an Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 or a TS601, for both personal and professional use? And how many people visited the MaxiTPMS website to check your vehicle's coverage before buying one?

Lastly, knowing how capable the TS601 and TS508 are for performing an OBD-Assisted relearn without the need for a 2nd activation tool nor a pressure reduction sequence, plus copying sensor ID via activation, manual input, and OBD, which replacement TPMS sensors did you use for the relearn procedure?

Last edited by jtr990; 01-06-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Hello jtr990 and welcome to the forum.

I'm curious to know if you have any affiliation with Autel. Vendor representatives can have some very helpful advice to offer, and it seems that you might work for Autel.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm curious to know if you have any affiliation with Autel.
    I hope he does because I have some questions about their products working on a Mirage!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks, guys. However, I'm not affiliated with Autel nor do I work for them. But I have visited the MaxiTPMS website to check the coverage on a number of Mitsubishi vehicles that require an assisted OBD-II relearn, including the Mirage. And based on that, the TS501 doesn't support those vehicles because there is no assisted relearn support, while the TS508, TS601, TS608, and MS906TS do because they have it. My only advice as a customer, not a company representative, is to do some research before buying the tool. And don't buy the TS501 if you own a US-market Mitsubishi Mirage or any other Mitsubishi you also drive.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jtr990 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr990 View Post
    Thanks, guys. However, I'm not affiliated with Autel nor do I work for them. But I have visited the MaxiTPMS website to check the coverage on a number of Mitsubishi vehicles that require an assisted OBD-II relearn, including the Mirage. And based on that, the TS501 doesn't support those vehicles because there is no assisted relearn support, while the TS508, TS601, TS608, and MS906TS do because they have it. My only advice as a customer, not a company representative, is to do some research before buying the tool. And don't buy the TS501 if you own a US-market Mitsubishi Mirage or any other Mitsubishi you also drive.
    I presently use snow tires on both my 2011 Subaru Forester & 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage. I just live with the TPMS dash light being on during the winter months.

I am thinking about purchasing an Autel TS408 and some Autel MaxiTPMS MXSensor315MP (with Rubber Snap-in Stem). On personal level, I am not a big fan of TPMS. I, however, owned a 1999 Ford Explorer that came with Firestone tires and witnessed the recall of Firestone tires (replaced with Goodyear tires for free). Thus, I know why we have TPMS in the United States. Thank you Ford & Firestone!

If it's not to much of a hassle, I would prefer the TPMS work all year round on my vehicles. Cloning sensors to original factory sensors = less hassle in my mind. If I can't clone sensors, I would rather run my tires without them. I have no desire to reprogram the codes on either vehicle or visit a dealership for that. Nearest Subaru/Mitsubishi dealerships are a distance of about 65 miles for me, & my vehicles only see dealerships for warranty work.

It appears the Autel TS408 and a number MXSensors will do exactly what I want. My original sensors in my Subaru are getting to the age where they may need to be replaced sometime, too. My concern is this - Let say I purchase all this stuff & get everything like I want it. I may not need my need to replace another sensor for the next 5-10 years. The market for products are always changing. Let's say 6-7 years from now, I need to replace a faulty sensor. Do you think Autel will still be producing sensors for the Autel TS408? This is the part of technology that I hate, but we also can't avoid. You paid a good amount of money for something and then a few years later it outdated and no longer supported.

I see myself keeping the two vehicles that I have for quite some time. In all honesty, I don't see the price of $100-130 for a TPMS tool that can clone sensors as being all that expensive. I just hate to spend that, use it for brief moment, and then the next time I go back to use it is obsolete.

What are your thoughts on all this? I thought that I would ask those of you that have more experience with with TPMS devices before I decide to purchase something. It sounds like the Autel products will do what I want. I just want to know they will continue to do what I want in the future. Do any of you have a crystal ball view on all this? I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I presently use snow tires on both my 2011 Subaru Forester & 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage. I just live with the TPMS dash light being on during the winter months.

I am thinking about purchasing an Autel TS408 and some Autel MaxiTPMS MXSensor315MP (with Rubber Snap-in Stem). On personal level, I am not a big fan of TPMS. I, however, owned a 1999 Ford Explorer that came with Firestone tires and witnessed the recall of Firestone tires (replaced with Goodyear tires for free). Thus, I know why we have TPMS in the United States. Thank you Ford & Firestone!

If it's not to much of a hassle, I would prefer the TPMS work all year round on my vehicles. Cloning sensors to original factory sensors = less hassle in my mind. If I can't clone sensors, I would rather run my tires without them. I have no desire to reprogram the codes on either vehicle or visit a dealership for that. Nearest Subaru/Mitsubishi dealerships are a distance of about 65 miles for me, & my vehicles only see dealerships for warranty work.

It appears the Autel TS408 and a number MXSensors will do exactly what I want. My original sensors in my Subaru are getting to the age where they may need to be replaced sometime, too. My concern is this - Let say I purchase all this stuff & get everything like I want it. I may not need my need to replace another sensor for the next 5-10 years. The market for products are always changing. Let's say 6-7 years from now, I need to replace a faulty sensor. Do you think Autel will still be producing sensors for the Autel TS408? This is the part of technology that I hate, but we also can't avoid. You paid a good amount of money for something and then a few years later it outdated and no longer supported.

I see myself keeping the two vehicles that I have for quite some time. In all honesty, I don't see the price of $100-130 for a TPMS tool that can clone sensors as being all that expensive. I just hate to spend that, use it for brief moment, and then the next time I go back to use it is obsolete.

What are your thoughts on all this? I thought that I would ask those of you that have more experience with with TPMS devices before I decide to purchase something. It sounds like the Autel products will do what I want. I just want to know they will continue to do what I want in the future. Do any of you have a crystal ball view on all this? I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
    In a nutshell, yes. Most likely Autel will continue to produce MX-Sensors for not only the TS408, but for other line of MaxiTPMS products as well. As for the worry about your tool being obsolete in several years time, don't worry since the tool comes with free software updates for the life of the tool. The TS408 is a good base tool to test and diagnose TPMS sensors (OE or aftermarket), and program MX-Sensors by Auto-Create 1-16 sensors, copy sensor IDs by activation or manual input, but for around $100 extra a TS508 can do just that, plus OBD position relearn and copy sensor IDs by OBD port. I don't see any problem copying sensor IDs from your original wheels and program them into the winter wheels with Autel MX-Sensors already installed, provided they're all set to the proper tire pressure.

I recently had an experience with the Autel MX 1-Sensor (two frequencies combined in one single sensor) when we had TPMS trouble on a 2013 Honda CR-V with aftermarket winter rims. We installed Schrader EZ-Sensor 33500s and did an OBD relearn with the Bartec tool. Around town (at 50 km/h or 30 mph), the sensors were fine. But on the highway, the TPMS malfunction light came on. Knowing Honda's TPMS system, it was a pain in the neck to relearn, considering how picky it is when it comes to using aftermarket wheels. Then our vendor came in with a set of Autel MX 1-Sensors and an Autel metal valve kit. After programming all four sensors with the vendor's TS508 (Auto Create 1-16 Sensors), we swapped out the rubber snap-in stems for the metal clamp-ins, and we relearned the system with the Bartec tool, the problem was fixed. I never thought a set of metal clamp-in valve stems solved that issue with the aftermarket steel wheels. I was impressed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr990 View Post
    The TS408 is a good base tool...but for around $100 extra a TS508 can do just that, plus OBD position relearn and copy sensor IDs by OBD port.
    Well...Autel claims a TS508 can do these functions on a Mirage.

At this point I wouldn't buy any TPMS tool unless it can be easily returned...because there's always the possibility that it may not work on a Mirage. I might consider buying a TS508 on Amazon...but I only see them in the $400 range there?!?

Mark...check your PMs...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

I use a ts401 at work. It activates all the sensors I've tried so far except an 18' f-pace. But it hasn't been updated since 2014. It should work now. I also use a maxisys mini to get vehicles into learn mode if I can't get into program mode with the car itself. We also have a huff tpms tool that I've used a few times.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just curious...

If TPMS isn't required in Canada, why do you guys keep running into vehicles with TPMS sensors?

Can't answer that one. My 04 Armada has it. Most of our 07+ Chev trucks at work have it, all our 15-17' nv200's have it. Our 14' spark had it too.

We don't require tpms but from 18' everything here needs a backup camera..... Can't figure out that one cause backup camera's don't work for **** 6 months out of the year cause the camera is covered in snow and road grime.
    I hear they're making it so tail lights come on automatically cause there are too many idiots driving with the just the drl's. The dash is lit so dumb dumbs think their head/tail lights are on. I see about a dozen cases a day.

Last edited by Fummins; 01-07-2019 at 07:03 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-07-2019)