Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dash cam install

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Dash cam install

Has anyone here installed a dash cam in your Mirage?

I'm thinking of one that might fit behind the rear view mirror or windshield visor, then run its power cable across the roof liner & down the passenger side A-pillar trim into the glovebox where I would place a portable battery pack the camera could run off of. Would this be difficult to do?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I installed this Lecmal-branded model back on 2015 and has been working acceptably. Today arrived a newer version that I bought for another car. In my Mirage the USB cable runs the same path you plan, except that I inserted it through a covered aperture on the side of the glovebox compartment that seemed to have been placed there to that purpose ). The power supply is a charger but a better solution would be to connect it to the fuse box with one these kits.

It has a very small profile (most dash cams almost hang in front of the passenger's face) which gives it a stealthy appearance from the outside.

Name:  20190106_141642.jpg
Views: 2075
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  20190106_141920.jpg
Views: 2030
Size:  23.5 KB
    Last edited by R01k; 01-06-2019 at 07:52 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to R01k For This Useful Post:

cookiemonster (01-06-2019),Rowsdower (01-08-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    I installed this Lecmal-branded model back on 2015 and has been working acceptably. Today arrived a newer version that I bought for another car. In my Mirage the USB cable runs the same path you plan, except that I inserted it through a covered aperture on the side of the glovebox compartment that seemed to have been placed there to that purpose ). The power supply is a charger but a better solution would be to connect it to the fuse box with one these kits.

It has a very small profile (most dash cams almost hang in front of the passenger's face) which gives it a stealthy appearance from the outside.

Name:  20190106_141642.jpg
Views: 2075
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  20190106_141920.jpg
Views: 2030
Size:  23.5 KB
    Thanks R01k, do you like the video quality of the Rexing? Does it hide well behind the rear view mirror?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hey cookiemonster I bought the KDLINKS R100 and installed it a couple of years ago. It has full HD recording front & rear, the installation is super simple by strapping on to the rear view mirror and doesn't take up as much windshield space. The rear-facing camera acts as a back-up camera. The DVR can record 24/7, when the car is in operation, or when it is jostled - all selectable through setup. The cabling allowed a much cleaner installation too. It's worked fine for me so far - just be sure to get a good quality memory card that is meant for dashcam use because the cheaper memory cards will fail in short order.

Let me know if you want some pictures of my install.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

cookiemonster (01-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Thanks R01k, do you like the video quality of the Rexing? Does it hide well behind the rear view mirror?
    The cam fits completely behind the mirror. I could have placed it further behind but then it would have been hard to operate the controls.

Name:  20190106_155356.jpg
Views: 2045
Size:  90.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to R01k For This Useful Post:

cookiemonster (01-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey cookiemonster I bought the KDLINKS R100 and installed it a couple of years ago. It has full HD recording front & rear, the installation is super simple by strapping on to the rear view mirror and doesn't take up as much windshield space. The rear-facing camera acts as a back-up camera. The DVR can record 24/7, when the car is in operation, or when it is jostled - all selectable through setup. The cabling allowed a much cleaner installation too. It's worked fine for me so far - just be sure to get a good quality memory card that is meant for dashcam use because the cheaper memory cards will fail in short order.

Let me know if you want some pictures of my install.
    Thanks eggman, if it's no trouble I'd love to see some pictures!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    The cam fits completely behind the mirror. I could have placed it further behind but then it would have been hard to operate the controls.

Name:  20190106_155356.jpg
Views: 2045
Size:  90.0 KB
    Looks good, thanks for sharing!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Run two cables, strap the dashcam to the mirror, and stick the rear camera to the hatch.

Notes:
    1. I ran power for the dashcam by plugging in the cigarette lighter power adapter and concealed it's cable behind the dashboard, up the passenger side A pillar, and inside the roof liner. I pulled cable out of the liner with enough slack to operate the mirror through it's full range of motion and to have access to the camera as needed. I have a power supply that will replace the plug-in cigarette lighter one, but I haven't yet used it. If I ever wanted the dashcam continuously powered, it can be done with the dedicated adapter and it would free up my cigarette lighter power port.
    2. I ran the cable to the rear camera through the roof liner rather than down alongside the passenger side floor, and stowed the extra cable above the liner. The rear camera gets it's operating power on the same cable it uses to send it's video to the mirror mounted DVR. I also hooked up the backup light sensing wire which automatically activates the backup camera function.
    3. The rear camera looks like it's pointing down but it's field of view is pretty wide and covers a lot. The forward facing camera also has a wide field of view.
    4. The resolution of both cameras is more than satisfactory. I wanted to be able to capture license plates if needed and the KDLinks R100 does the job.

Edit: I spent many hours researching dashcams. The Rexing was one of my few remaining choices but the feedback on the Rexing cameras wasn't very good at the time. Back then there were complaints of periodic failures (when they were most needed) and problems with high temperature operation. I have experienced no such problems. The KDLinks R100 nighttime resolution is also very satisfactory. Even the rear facing camera - it deals with oncoming headlights and still produces a usable image with the license plate readable.
    Last edited by Eggman; 01-06-2019 at 10:01 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-07-2019)

I picked up one of these a few years ago. Works great. I like that it's barely visible to might be thieves or people that like to cut me off. The gps mount that gives it the ability to track position and speed is a pos though. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01IEQUABA/..._Ff7mCbK3Y91SZ it came with more than enough cord to be able to hide the wires and reach a cig plug in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Has anyone here installed a dash cam in your Mirage?

I'm thinking of one that might fit behind the rear view mirror or windshield visor, then run its power cable across the roof liner & down the passenger side A-pillar trim into the glovebox where I would place a portable battery pack the camera could run off of. Would this be difficult to do?
    Hey cookiemonster, did you get a dashcam yet?