Views: 1363
Size:  22.3 KB
    Xič xič

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-08-2019)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    I will try to get some before and after runs if I can get them. Because in a small city of 5 million people, there are not many empty roads to do acceleration runs and there are enforcement officers everywhere.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fit For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-08-2019),Qrush (01-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    These are the images on their facebook page:

Name:  MsRacingCam.jpg
Views: 1656
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  MsRacingCam2.jpg
Views: 1591
Size:  90.1 KB
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Bad news..
    Was in the process of swapping the cams and got down to just removing the cylinder head cover.
    Got the plug out and rotated the crank pulley bolt to get it to TDC. Surprisingly easy to rotate the engine.
    Then I decided to remove the chain tensioner cover first prior to removing the cylinder head cover.

Looked from the top for the cover I couldn’t quite see them. So took the jack out and raised the car to take a better look underneath. Looked everywhere around the crank pulley and couldn’t find the damned cover! That’s when I realised my engine timing chain cover has no access panel for the tensioner! I was like ****! I can’t change the cams without dropping the engine out in order to remove the front timing chain cover..

I have been googling 3a92 engine photos and I see the tensioner access cover on those photos. But on mine there isn’t any.
    Here’s what it should be like circled in blue.

Name:  FACA0281-844E-4BD4-95D3-7AFD82C41DD2.jpg
Views: 1701
Size:  99.0 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fit For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No tensioner access panel? Holy crap. You have a 2016? I heard no mention of such changes from 2016+. Though, it may not get a mention. This is problematic for these models and this mod. Sorry you are having to go through this, Fit. What's your plan now?

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    I can’t believe it either. It sucks big time.. don’t understand why they decided to do away with that cover.
    Same with the one piece headers and cat. They make maintenance a pain! Every time I swap my headers I have to pop the rh driveshaft and a mess of cvt fluid. These changes were not mentioned I believe.
    Here’s a photo of my timing chain cover:

Name:  97F56800-1F62-4D93-AEC8-9CA2CA194837.jpg
Views: 1515
Size:  83.1 KB

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fit For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-15-2019),Qrush (01-15-2019)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    I am not sure if I want to spend more money and get a shop to do it for me or to attempt to do it without accessing the tensioner.
    I am just not too sure how the tensioner works and why I need to access it for the cams swap. Can anyone enlighten me?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Doh, that stinks to hear.

Would you be able to remove the crankshaft pulley and the timing belt guard with the engine still in? Seems like loads less work.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It looks to me like #1 is a spring loaded plunger that pushes against the chain guide / tensioner.

Name:  timingchain.jpg
Views: 1556
Size:  64.4 KB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Fit (01-16-2019)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    In order for me to proceed I just need to find out one thing regarding the chain tensioner and that is whether the tensioner plunger can be shortened just by pressing or pushing it in. As I need some chain slack in order to slide the cam gears out of the chain.

From the manual it seemed like the tensioner can extend to take up chain slack but it cannot retract without over riding a cam on the tensioner. But at the same time there’s conflicting instructions when it comes to camshaft removal where they just ask to rotate the cam clockwise to retract the tensioner but didn’t mention anything about over riding the cam on the tensioner.

If anyone has a spare tensioner in hand to play around with can help me verify if you can depress the tensioner just with the thumb and fore finger without having to touch the tensioner cam, that would be a great help!