Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CVT Shudder

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

CVT Shudder

First post from a new Mirage owner here! I bought a 2017 Mirage SE in Sunrise Orange back in Feb. Overall, I really like the car. Sometime around the 3 month mark I’ll post a full review. Right now I have a few questions about the CVT.

I am familiar with the mechanics of a CVT and have driven a few other CVTs over the years. Also, I’ve read what I think is everything on CVTs on this site so far. That being said...

My Mirage is fine 99% of the time, however, it seems to act up a bit here and there. By acting up I mean: surges or feels like it struggles a bit or feels like it slips/catches up into gear. A tiny bit herky-jerky. Maybe a stutter or pause effect. It only seems to do it when it’s cold. It either doesn’t do it when it is fully warmed up or I just don’t notice it as much. I do let the car warm up for about 3 to 4 minutes every morning before I start to drive it. I also drive it gently until it’s fully warmed up. By fully warmed up I mean the temperature light goes out and I’ve driven for about another 5 to 10 miles. It’s been cold here where I live, in the mid 30s to lower 40s. But overall I would describe my driving style as “I drive like a grandpa“. In my mind, it kind of defeats the purpose of owning a Mirage if you drive it like you stole it.

Another thing that I notice from time to time is that when I’m slowing down and coming to a stop, right before I actually stop, it’s like the transmission disengages abruptly. It’s like a sharp transition into neutral. It doesn’t happen all the time but when it does it feels like the car lurches a little bit or shudders one time really hard.

With the car being so new and only having 2500 miles on it I can’t imagine that the transmission has problems already. It’s either the characteristic of this transmission or perhaps there is a reprogramming or TSB out on it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Hello Bigdeezy and welcome to the forum. I don't own a CVT but what you are describing sounds like normal operation of the dual-range Jatco design along with neutral idle logic or whatever it's called.

I'm sure another CVT owner will chime in soon to get you the answers you need.

Again, welcome.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hello Bigdeezy and welcome to the forum. I don't own a CVT but what you are describing sounds like normal operation of the dual-range Jatco design along with neutral idle logic or whatever it's called.

I'm sure another CVT owner will chime in soon to get you the answers you need.

Again, welcome.
    Just like he said, normal operation.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Dang, there are threads around here that go into detail on both these features. I'd reference them if I weren't on my phone.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I don't drive them that often but the going into neutral is supposed to happen under very specific conditions. Lurching forward like you've been rear ended while stopped is a normal thing for these cars. Annoying but normal. I've had a few cars feel like they're surging/hunting a bit while accelerating lightly when really cold. Again, seems relatively normal for these.

I haven't had any cvt failures lately so yay for that!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Welcome to the forum, bigdeezy.

Did you happen to come across this thread? It answers the question about that "shifting to neutral" feeling.

Thread: CVT owners... what is "Idle Neutral Logic"? And what is it like to drive?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-22-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdeezy View Post
    With the car being so new and only having 2500 miles on it I can’t imagine that the transmission has problems already. It’s either the characteristic of this transmission or perhaps there is a reprogramming or TSB out on it.
    Your tranny fluids need to warm up my manual Mirage tranny is like shifting through syrup in -20 C winter night firing up the car after sitting for many hours.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    By acting up I mean: surges or feels like it struggles a bit or feels like it slips/catches up into gear. A tiny bit herky-jerky. Maybe a stutter or pause effect. It only seems to do it when it’s cold. It either doesn’t do it when it is fully warmed up or I just don’t notice it as much.

Another thing that I notice from time to time is that when I’m slowing down and coming to a stop, right before I actually stop, it’s like the transmission disengages abruptly. It’s like a sharp transition into neutral. It doesn’t happen all the time but when it does it feels like the car lurches a little bit or shudders one time really hard.

I had just bought a left-over 2017 Mirage SE in January. It has about 1,800 miles on it now. My CVT acts the same way you described. It's normal for your Mirage. It's just the quirkiness of this car. I have driven other cars with CVT transmissions and they were much smoother. It takes a little time to get accustomed to this CVT.

I usually put my car into Neutral, well before a stop sign or a red light. I then coast as much as possible before hitting the brake. I leave it in Neutral while sitting there and only place it in drive when it's time to move forward. You can also shift it into Neutral and coast down hills. It saves on fuel, brakes, and transmission wear. One thing I have noticed, especially about this CVT, is that when you take your foot off the accelerator, it acts as if you engaged a Jake Brake. It has pretty good engine braking. You can increase the engine braking by shifting it into the other drive gear (Ds) to the right of (D). It definitely does not coast well at all in D or Ds.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSEFan View Post
    I had just bought a left-over 2017 Mirage SE in January. It has about 1,800 miles on it now. My CVT acts the same way you described. It's normal for your Mirage. It's just the quirkiness of this car. I have driven other cars with CVT transmissions and they were much smoother. It takes a little time to get accustomed to this CVT.

I usually put my car into Neutral, well before a stop sign or a red light. I then coast as much as possible before hitting the brake. I leave it in Neutral while sitting there and only place it in drive when it's time to move forward. You can also shift it into Neutral and coast down hills. It saves on fuel, brakes, and transmission wear. One thing I have noticed, especially about this CVT, is that when you take your foot off the accelerator, it acts as if you engaged a Jake Brake. It has pretty good engine braking. You can increase the engine braking by shifting it into the other drive gear (Ds) to the right of (D). It definitely does not coast well at all in D or Ds.
    You drive your CVT pretty much how I drive mine. I put my CVT into neutral at pretty much every stop and manual shift from B to D from every stop when I take off. If you search the forum for "idle neutral logic" you'll find that under many circumstances the CVT is NOT placed into neutral while stopped. So that funky downshifting or engaging from a stop is normal CVT behavior. I don't like it so I manually shift. One nice thing about the CVT is that you can coast with it in neutral, unlike many automatic transmissions.
    Last edited by inuvik; 03-22-2019 at 10:45 PM. Reason: syntax cleanup

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Is that safe with the operation of the CVT? Coasting on N to a stop? I havent read anything from Mitsubishi in regards to that? Just curious.